Embracing Uncertainty in Adversity, It's Absurd to Plan Very Clearly in Life
事实上 你 会 发现 假如 我们 对 逆境 没有 一个 标准 定义 的话 逆境 对 每 一个 人 来讲 都 不 一样 。
In fact, you will find that if we do not have a standard definition of adversity, adversity is different for everyone.
也就是说 同样 一件 事情 在 我 身上 可能 不是 一个 逆境 在 另 一个 人 身上 可能 就是 一个 天大 的 逆境 。
That is to say, the same thing may not be an adversity in me, but it may be a great adversity in another person.
逆境 本身 和 我们 的 观点 有着 极大 的 关系 也就是说 你 怎么 看待 这个 东西 才 决定 了 他 到底 是不是 逆境 。
Adversity itself has a great relationship with our point of view, that is to say, how you look at this thing determines whether it is you or not.
甚至 可能 是 好玩 是 乐趣 是 人生 的 一个 履历 和 财富 。
It may even be fun is fun is a resume and wealth of life.
那 真正 逆境 的 定义 应该 是 什么 呢 ?
我 今天 大胆 给 它 定义 一下 就是 事情 没有 按照 我们 预期 的 方向 前进
I boldly define it today as things not going the way we expected
无论 大小 有 的 很大 有 的 小 一点 。
那么 接下来 我 就 帮 你们 解决 这个 问题 。
Then I will help you solve this problem.
也 就是 告诉 你 说 这个 世界 上 其实 最快 进步 的 方法 就是 事情 不要 按照 我们 预想 的 方式 前进 。
That is to tell you that the fastest way to progress in the world is to not move things the way we expected.
如果 事情 都 按照 我们 预想 的 方式 前进 你 会 发现 你 的 人生 发展 相当 的 缓慢 。
If things go the way we envision you will find your life progressing rather slowly.
这里 边 来自 于 一个 计算机 的 算法 。
Here comes from a computer algorithm.
这个 算法 叫做 爬山 算法 。
This algorithm is called the hill-climbing algorithm.
假如 我们 在 坐 所有人 我们 要 完成 一个 伟大 的 任务 就是 在 这个 地球 上 找到 一个 最高点 我们 要 站 在 上面 。
If we are sitting all of us, we have to accomplish a great task to find the highest point on this earth. We have to stand on the highest point and whoever can find the highest position fastest will win.
谁 能够 最快 地 找到 最高 的 位置 谁 就 赢 。
那么 各自 有 各自 的 算法 。
你 说 最快 的 算法 是 什么 呢 ?
如果 你 从 上海 这个 地方 开始 然后 丈量 看 周围 哪儿 最高 然后 一步 一步 地 往后走 , 对 吗 ?
If you start from this place in Shanghai and measure to see where the highest is around you and then go back step by step, right?
那马 要 过 多少 年 你 才 有 可能 找到 喜马拉雅山 。
How many years does it take you to find the Himalayas.
这是 非常 困难 地 一件 事 。
因为 人生 没有 一张 导航 图 你 能 知道 喜马拉雅山 往西 走 没有 。
你 只是 凭 运气 所以 你 很 有 可能 这辈子 都 走 不到 那么 高 的 地方 去 。
You are just by luck, so it is very likely that you will never get to such a high place in your life.
计算机 最快 的 有效 的 方法 叫做 爬山 算法 。
第一步 引入 随机性 就是 把 你 像 一个点 一样 随便 地 抛 在 这个 地球 上 的 任何 一个 地方 。
The first step in introducing randomness is to drop you anywhere on the planet as random as a point.
然后 你 在 你 方圆 几公里 之内 根据 你 的 能力 力所能及 的 范畴 找到 那个 最高 的 点 。
Then you find the highest point within a few kilometers of you according to your abilities.
比如说 是 北京 的 香山, 对吧 然后 到 香山 的 顶峰 再 在 方圆 多少 公里 之内 去 找 最高 的 点 。
For example, it is Fragrant Hill in Beijing, right? Then go to the top of Fragrant Hill and find the highest point within a radius of several kilometers.
这种 算法 能够 帮助 你 最快 的 在 有生之年 找到 你 人生 的 最高峰 。
这里 边有 一个 非常 重要 的 前提 就是 你 得 能够 接受 人生 的 随机性 。
A very important premise here is that you must be able to accept the randomness of life.
只有 这个 随机性 才 能够 带来 你 人生 不断 的 迭代 和 前进 。
Only this randomness can bring about constant iteration and progress in your life.
人生 是 一个 复杂 环境 。
Life is a complex environment.
玩 没玩 过 那个 Windows 自带 的 一个 游戏 叫 扫雷 。
Have never played a game that comes with Windows called Minesweeper.
如果 你 是 一个 讨厌 不确定性 的 人 , 你 拒绝 人生 当中 的 任何 不确定性 , 你 会 一个 一个 的 去 试 。
If you are someone who hates uncertainty, you reject any uncertainty in your life, you will try one by one.
从 一个点 一个点 的 是 过去 我 相信 你 这辈子 也 打不开 最高级 的 那片 平面 。
From point to point is the past. I believe that you will not be able to open the most advanced plane in your life.
那 我们 一般 玩 这个 的 高手 怎么 做 就是 先 随机 的 点 一些 显出 一 大片 来 然后 找到 一个 最好 的 机会 在 开始 。
所以 当 命运 把 你 随便 抛洒 的 时候 很 有 可能 你 抛洒 在 了 一个 低谷 。
So when fate throws you at will, it is very likely that you are thrown at a low point.
那好 重启 重启 就 好 了 抛 到 另外 一个点 。
It's good to restart and restart, then throw it to another point.
然后 尽快 的 展开 你 的 就近 搜素 。
Then start your nearest search as soon as possible.
最 浪费 我们 人生 生命 的 是 彷徨 , 无助 , 痛苦 。
然后 犹豫不决 不断 地 抱怨 。
Then hesitantly complained.
这种 时候 你 在 原地 站 着 哪 都 没 去 甚至 会 连 探索 的 力量 都 没有 。
At this time, you are standing in the same place without going anywhere, and you will not even have the power to explore.
那为了 让 大家 能够 理解 这个 算法 , 我们 在 讲 一个 案例 。
So in order for everyone to understand this algorithm, we are going to talk about a case.
曾经 有 一个 钢琴 演奏 家 叫 基斯 ,
There used to be a pianist named Keith,
他 被 一个 音乐 策展 人 把 他 邀请 到 了 欧洲 进行 一场 演奏 。
He was invited by a music curator to give a recital in Europe.
票 已经 卖掉 了 , 卖出去 了 一千四百 张 门票 。
Tickets have been sold, fourteen hundred tickets have been sold.
然后 当天 下午 他 去 音乐厅 试 那个 钢琴 的 时候 发现 意外 。
Then that afternoon he found an accident when he went to the poem that piano in the concert hall.
就是 他 要 的 是 一个 大 的 三角钢琴 因为 大 的 三角钢琴 共鸣 会 好 声音 会大 。
What he wanted was a big grand piano, because a big grand piano would resonate well and sound louder.
结果 人家 给 他 准备 的 是 一个 非常 破旧 的 立式 钢琴 。
As a result, what he prepared for him was a very old upright piano.
然后 他 去 弹 那个 钢琴 的 音 的 时候 发现 低音 部分 就 没 声 好几个 键 没有 声音 。
Then when he went to play the piano, he found that there was no sound in the bass part for several keys.
然后 高音 的 部分 声音 也 不准 。
Then the high-pitched part of the sound is not allowed.
他 说 我 这么 大 的 一个 演奏家 , 对 吗 , 我能 做 这样 的 事 吗 。
He said a player my age, right, can I do such a thing.
不演 了 转身 就 走 。
Turn around and leave without acting.
结果 那个 小女孩 因为 是 策展 人 很 年轻
As a result, the little girl was very young because she was the curator
这个 哭 啊 一边 哭 一边 追着 他 的 汽车 说 求求 你 票 都 卖掉 了 一千四百多 人 都 冲 你 来 的 就 追 他 。
This man cried while chasing his car, begging you, all the tickets were sold, and chasing after him if more than 1,400 people came after you.
而且 最 妙 的 就是 还 下 着 大雨 在 雨 中 然后 狂 追 。
More than 1,400 people will chase her if they come at you.
这个 钢琴家 就 心软 了 然后 下来 说 那 就 演 一次 。
The pianist relented and went down and said that he would play it once.
但是 演 得 多 糟糕 我 都 不 负责 ,
But I'm not responsible for how bad it is,
我要 对外 宣布 这件 事 跟 我 无关 是 你们 的 琴 是 这个 样子 。
I want to announce to the public that this matter has nothing to do with me, but your piano is like this.
好 晚上 去演 。
I want to announce to the public that this has nothing to do with me, but your piano looks like this.
结果 你们 知道 那场 演出 创造 了 爵士乐 史上 的 奇迹 。
当天 晚上 演出 的 CD 和 那个 MV 的 video
一共 卖 了 三百五十万 张 。
A total of 3.5 million copies were sold.
奇怪 就 这么 破 的 一个 琴 怎么 可能 能够 卖出 三百五十万 张唱片 呢 。
原因 很 简单 因为 那个 琴 很小 声音 不够 大 所以 他 决定 站 着 弹 。
The reason is simple because the violin is small and not loud enough so he decided to stand and play it.
因为 坐 着 弹不出 声 他 就 站 着 弹 站 着 弹 的 时候 他 是 要 拿手 砸 那个 琴 。
Because he couldn't make a sound while sitting, so he stood and played when he stood to play, he was good at smashing the violin.
他 的 每 一个 动作 都 是 这样 砸 然后 低音 部分 不敢 碰 主要 在 高音 。
Every movement of his is like this and then the bass part dare not touch, mainly in the treble.
所以 所有 的 人 听 完 了 以后 觉得 说 哇 耳目一新
就是 没有 人见 过 这样 激情 演奏 的 爵士乐 而且 说 他 的 发挥 已经 到 了 一个 人生 的 巅峰 状态 。
所以 那张 CD 卖 了 三百五十万 张 。
事后 他 说 如果 我 当时 真的 沮丧 到 直接 买 了 一张 机票 回 美国 , 那 我 就 跟 三百五十万 张唱片 没有 任何 关系 。
Afterwards he said that if I was so frustrated that I bought a plane ticket back to the US, then I had nothing to do with 3.5 million records.
那 , 这个 和 我们 前面 讲 的 爬山 算法 有 什么 关系 呢 ?
你 可以 发现 这个 基斯 原来 的 高度 已经 不低 了 。
You can find that the original height of this Keith is not low.
对 吧 , 他 原来 已经 是 全世界 有名 的 演奏家 。
他 的 高度 可能 是 在 阿尔卑斯山 这么 高 。
但是 如果 他 永远 都 要 待 在 阿尔卑斯山
他 不 希望 他 的 生活 当中 有 任何 的 变化
He doesn't want any changes in his life
不 希望 他 的 生活 当中 有 任何 的 不确定性
不 希望 他 的 生活 当中 有 任何 的 逆境
那么 他 的 辈子 就 在 阿尔卑斯山 哪 也 去 不了 因为 他 已经 最高 了 。
但是 当 这个 小姑娘 给 他 引入 了 这么 大 的 不确定性 以后 相当于 命运 把 他 随便 一 抛 。
But when this little girl introduced so much uncertainty to him, it was like fate just tossed him away.
那片 地方 叫做 青藏高原 。
他 抛 到 了 青藏高原 所以 他 只要 在 周围 力所能及 的 范围 之内 使劲 努力 地 找 。他 就 找到 了 喜马拉雅山 。
我们 找 一座 高峰 是 这样 。 我们 找到 人生 的 高峰 是 一回 事儿 。
所以 我 经常 在 讲书 的 时候 就 会 有 很多 人问 我 说 樊 老师 我 现在 不 知道 我该 考研 还是 该 去 找 工作 , 对 吗 。
我 现在 不 知道 该 再 复读 一次 还是 我 就 上 一个 二本 就算 了 , 对 吗 。
I don't know now if I should read it again or if I just take one or two books, right?
这种 状况 呢 都 叫做 不 愿意 接受 不确定性 。
如果 你 真的 愿意 接受 不确定性 你 会 发现 无论 去 哪边 都 是 好 的 。
因为 你 的 人生 并 没有 两条 平行 线 。
Because there are no two parallel lines in your life.
时间 不会 停留 。 如果 你 停留 , 你 只能 在 原地 浪费时间 。
所以 最好 的 方法 是 就近 找到 最高 的 地方 努力 去 攀登 。
所以 不要 让 自己 沉入 到 谷底 当中 不 动 。
It is one thing for us to find the peak of life.
解释 这个 东西 解释 最好 的 人 是 孔子 。
孔子 呢 就是 一个 非常 拥抱 不确定性 的 人 。
孔子 呢 说 “ 邦 有 道 则 仕 邦 无道 卷而怀 之 可 也 ”。什么 意思 呢 ?
Confucius said, "When a state has a Tao, it is impossible for a state to hold it." What does that mean?
国家 政治 清明 我 就 出来 当官 为 国家 做 贡献 。
I will come out as an official to contribute to the country when the country’s politics is clear.
邦 无道 卷而怀 之 可 也 国家 如果 政治 混乱 , 我 就 回家 我 教书。 我 成为 一个 教书 匠 。
If the country is in political chaos, I will go home and teach. I became a teacher.
所以 你 发现 孔子 进 也 可以 退 也 可以 。
无论 出现 什么样 的 逆境 对于 他 来讲 他 永远 处于 一种 叫做 杠铃 式 配置 当中 。
No matter what kind of adversity appears, he will always be in a configuration called a barbell configuration for him.
杠铃 式 配置 是 我们 人生 当中 非常 重要 地 一个 智慧 。
所以 假如 你 不 懂得 杠铃 式 配置
So if you don’t understand barbell configuration
你 不 知道 你 的 人生 具备 灵活性 , 你 就 没有 可选择性 。
当 你 缺乏 可选择性 你 会 觉得 一切 东西 似乎 都 只能 有 一个 答案 。
假如 没有 实现 这个 答案 我 沮丧 我 逆境 。
If this answer is not realized, I am frustrated and I am in adversity.
那么 现在 我要 惩罚 我 自己 。
Confucius said, "When a state has a Tao, it is impossible for a state to hold it."
你 知道 无论 你 是 惩罚 你 自己 还是 惩罚 别人
在 逆境 当中 待 的 时间 越长 导致 的 结果 是 你 的 自尊 水平 越底
When the country’s politics is clear, I will come out as an official to contribute to the country.
你 的 自尊 水平 越底 你 的 自控力 越差 你 的 表现 越 糟糕
The lower your self-esteem level, the worse your self-control, the worse your performance
进而 你 的 自尊 水平 更 低 然后 你 的 自控力 更差 。
这个 就 陷入 了 我们 说 叫做 自尊 的 螺旋 你 会 一步 一步 的 往下走 。
所以 我们 如果 从 原理 上 理解 了 不确定性 对于 我们 人生 是 多么 重要 这么 一件 事 ,
No matter what kind of adversity appears, he will always be in a configuration called a barbell configuration for him.
逆境 就 不再 是 我们 每个 人 人生 当中 的 问题
The barbell configuration is a very important piece of wisdom in our lives.
因为 在 你 短期内 看来 是 逆境 很 有 可能 这 是 你 人生 最 重要 的 一步 。
Because it seems adversity in your short term is likely to be the most important step in your life.
阿甘 在 电影 里边 讲 的 说 生活 就 像 一盒 巧克力
If you don't know that your life is flexible, you have no choice.
你 不 知道 它 下 一颗 给 你 的 到底 是 什么 味 的
When you lack choice, you feel that everything seems to have only one answer.
如果 我们 能 狗 让 我们 的 孩子 理解 到 这个 原理
If this answer is not realized, I am frustrated and I am in adversity.
我们 就 能够 从 本质 上 解决 关于 逆境 的 所有 讨论 。
逆境 是 我们 自己 的 大脑 假想 出来 的
Adversity is imaginary by our own brain
是 我们 赋予 了 它 一个 标签 说 这个 东西 叫 逆境
The longer you stay in adversity, the result is the lower your self-esteem level
事实上 每 一次 当 你 遇到 不确定性 的 时候
你 可以 告诉 自己 我 又 有 了 一次 调整 和 成长 的 机会
不 知道 命运 这次 把 我 抛 到 了 哪 一片 地方
可能 我 人生 的 高峰 就 在 附近
最后 给 小朋友 们 讲 一个 很 有趣 的 思想 实验 叫 布里丹 之 驴 。
布里丹 是 一个 思想 实验 家 他 说 有 一头 驴 又 渴 又 饿 待 在 中间
然后 左边 呢 是 水 右边 是 粮食
这个 驴 呢 既 可以 先 吃 粮食 再 喝水 也 可以 先 喝水 再 吃 粮食 。
但 问题 是 粮食 和 水 的 距离 跟 那个 驴 一样
所以 这个 驴 就 想 不 明白 说 我 到底 应该 先 喝水 还是 应该 先 吃 粮食 。
We can essentially resolve all discussions about adversity.
最后 它 又 渴 又 饿 死 在 了 中间 。
Finally it was thirsty and starved to death in the middle.
这个 思想 实验 告诉 我们 什么 呢 ?
就是 当 这个 驴 左边 是 水 右边 是 粮食 的 时候
它 最 需要 的 是 有人 过来 随机 的 拍 它 一巴 掌 。
无论 朝 左 还是 朝右 命运 把 它 丢 到 那个 地方 去 它 就 活 了
它 可以 喝水 再 吃 粮食 也 可以 吃 粮食 再 喝水 。
但是 因为 没有 引入 这样 的 随机性 他 不 接受 这样 的 随机性
Finally, I will tell the children a very interesting thought experiment called Bridan’s Donkey.
它 认为 一切 东西 应该 按 我 确定 的 思路 去 前进
Bridan is a thought experiment plus
导致 的 结果 就是 既 喝 不到 水 也 吃 不到 粮食
所以 大家 不要 小看 说 我们 不会 像 这个 驴 这么 蠢 但 事实上 生活 中 人 的 纠结 要 比 驴 多 的 多 。
有时候 我们 拥抱 不确定性 让 我们 的 生活 能够 更加 的 丰富多彩 你 的 人生 的 变化 也 会 更 大 。
Sometimes we embrace uncertainty to make our lives more colorful and your life will change even more.
今后 当 你 再 遇到 不 愉快 的 事 再 遇到 逆境 的 时候 教 大家 一个 方法 你 在 脑子 里面 告诉 自己 说 “ 叮咚 ”
In the future, when you encounter unpleasant things and adversities again, teach you a way to tell yourself "dingdong" in your mind
一定 要 “ 叮咚 ” 一声 , “ 叮咚 ” 逆境 。就是 有 一个 声音 提醒 你。此刻 就是 逆境 , 对 吧 。
这 不 就是 正是 我 展示 展示 我 面对 不 确定 的 时候 吗 ?
然后 你 再 去 应对 这件 事情 你 的 心态 会 完全 不 一样 。
Then you deal with this matter and your mentality will be completely different.
但是 假如 没有 一个 声音 提醒 你 说 “ 叮咚 ” 逆境 来 了
那么 你 很 有 可能 被 那个 事情 带走
Then you are likely to be taken away by that thing
你 会 觉得 那个 事情 是 你 人生 的 全部
You will feel that that thing is all of your life
事实上 那个 事情 只是 你 人生 的 佐料
你 才 是 你 人生 的 主角 你 能够 掌控 它 。
所有 那些 没 能够 打败 我们 的 东西 都 将 使 我们 变得 更强 。
所以 希望 大家 能够 正确 的 看待 逆境 这件 事
知道 很多 事情 没有 按照 我们 想象 的 方向 去 发展
未必 是 一件 坏事 因为 你 对 人生 做 规划 做 非常 清晰 的 规划
这 本身 才 是 最 荒谬 的 才 最 容易 造成 对于 孩子 和 自己 的 伤害 。谢谢大家,谢谢。