Answering "Library Lesson" Questions - Is There a LingQ Policy About It?

Hi LingQ administrators and members:

After joining LingQ a few weeks ago, I started answering some questions posted on the forum.

Only after answering several of them, I realized that some questions originate from the library lessons, and many of the lessons have been uploaded by ordinary members, not provided by the LingQ site administrators. I am now (belatedly) wondering if it is a good thing to answer questions when I am not the uploader of the lesson. I have checked the help page but it didn’t seem to have anything about this.

So, I suppose my questions is: does LingQ recommend answering questions not heeding the owner (uploader) of the lesson, or should we respect the ownership (iright word?) and defer the answering to the uploader?

I appologize to the uploaders for answering questions on my own if it is not the recommended practice.

Tony

You are more than welcome to respond to user’s questions :slight_smile: If the lesson uploader also wants to respond they are welcome to as well, but we encourage anyone to participate in these discussions!

Thanks for clarifying that. It’s good to know LingQ is open and encourages more participation from all users.

I’ve always wondered about these types of policies, Alex. Often, a mixture of answers are provided, and it is questionable if the “right” (or at least, “best”) answer is given / identified. The post at this link here - made me think about this more recently - 北京 冷 多 了 。 Does This Mean Beijing Is ... - Language Forum...

Another thought was - what is the real value in these exercises? In the end, I often come to the conclusion it is often best not to ask (or to answer, or even be too concerned), but rather to just keep plowing on and it will all more naturally come over time. But even this is unsatisfactory. As I reflected on the question, in the example, even again today, it has made think about the nuances of the language, which isn’t a bad thing.

This is all true. To some degree it is nice to know that you’re not alone, and that you can ask someone if you’re not sure about something. Whether it has any major impact on their learning I don’t know, but I do know that when the Ask a Tutor function wasn’t working for a bit we did get a lot of complaints :slight_smile:

I’ve gotten some really interesting questions for example this one: Was Bedeutet Das? "Es Drückt Einen Fast Weg!" - Language ...

What I thought when I got the question is that the reader has read the text carefully and was aware of the difficulty of more advanced texts. Especially in this course I use a very lifely and figurative language. That makes the course more interesting but more difficult too. And it is more authentic.