LingQopedia

Has anyone considered the idea of a Wikipedia page for LingQ? The idea just occurred to me, but I think it might make an additional useful reference to those just beginning with the system. Or, perhaps, as a “quick reference guide” to what LingQ is and how it works and so on.

I’m aware there is the help blog, which probably contains all of that stuff anyway, but it seems most things these days have Wikipedia pages, so I thought I’d just mention it and see what others think.

I could hardly believe that it didn’t exist. But this is what Wikipedia says:
“You may create the page “Lingq”,…” To me it sounds like a great idea, and it could be put into different language versions.

I do not know how Wikipedia works but here is a start for a LingQ page.

All suggestions and advice welcome.

LingQ is an online community and language learning method , based on the pioneering principles of Stephen Krashen, who stressed the crucial role of meaningful input in language acquisition. At LingQ, learners can choose from a wide variety of authentic language content, graded by level of difficulty, to listen to and read.

LingQ employs its own unique functionality which helps learners notice words, phrases and patterns and thereby learn them naturally. LingQ also makes use of statistics to record learners’ activity and achievement.

The members of the LingQ community create language content for each other, tutor each other and correct each other’s writing. However, at LingQ, grammar instruction and error correction are considered less important than motivation, mutual encouragement and the availability of interesting learning content at an appropriate level of difficulty.

The term LingQ is a play on the word link. Language learning is considered a process of creating links; between words, sounds, meaning and people,and eventually between neurons as new language skills are acquired.

LingQ offers 10 languages, English, Spanish, Mandarin, French, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, German, Swedish, and Italian.

1 Like

Good idea, just bear in mind that on Wkipedia, any registered user can edit any site.

dooo,

Is that a problem? How do Live Mocha Rosetta Stone etc, control what is said on their page?

Steve anyone can edit and anyone can re-edit it too, so you can have control over it.

Some articles are a war field hahahah

I think too that wikipedia is a good idea for LingQ

Steve,

As Berta said, it can be a free for all. I see it as good becasue it is another port of entry for potential site members, despite unfair criticsms that might occasionally be left uncontested on the page.

This is a good idea but I think the intention of Chris was that you create your own Wiki for LingQ. The software wikipedia is made with is open source. You can use the software to create your own dictionary. On the Internet you will find a lot of such wikis.

I started editing a LingQ page. See below. I then went to lunch. Upon my return I was told that the page had been removed because it was advertizing. Are these people joking?

Look up Live Mocha and Rosetta Stone (software), Pimselur learning system on Wikipedia. I they had said that my draft was incomplete, that would have have been one thing, but to say it has been removed because it is an advertizement???

I am very suspicious about all the free non-commercial posturing on the web and this just confirms it. I wonder what my next move is or whether it really matters. I do not want to put a lot of effort into making the entry conform to Wikipedia’s format only to have it removed again.

My entry was as follows.

LingQ is an online community and language learning method , created by Steve Kaufmann and his son Mark, who live in West Vancouver, Canada. The learning methodology is based on Steve Kaufmann’s own experience in learning to speak 11 languages, as well as the influence of two important modern educators. These are Stephen Krashen, who emphasizes the crucial role of meaningful input in language acquisition; and Ivan Illitch, who proposed the creation of convivial learning communities to replace formal schooling.

LingQ members come from all continents and countries of the world. They create language content for each other, help each other, exchange language lessons with each other, and encourage each other. As a result, learners are able to choose from a constantly growing library of language content, graded by level of difficulty, in ten different languages. This content is available for free download, to listen to and read. At present, these languages are English, Spanish, Mandarin, French, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, German, Swedish, and Italian.

The LingQ community is encouraged to create “LingQs” in order to better notice the words, phrases and patterns of the language. In this way each member is constantly building up a personal database, which generates Flash Cards, statistical records of activity and achievement, and other learning functions customized to each learner.

Grammar instruction and error correction are available from member tutors but are considered less important than motivation, mutual encouragement and constant listening and reading and reviewing of words and phrases.

The term LingQ is a play on the word link. Language learning is considered a process of creating links; between words, sounds, meaning and people,and eventually between neurons as new language skills are acquired.

Steve Kaufmann has written a book about language learning called The Way of the Linguist, A Language Learning Odyssey. He maintains a blog called The Linguist on Language, and has a channel at Youtube explaining his language learning philosophy.

Weird. I would keep at it. I think they have some sort of appeal process.

Their appeal process is impossible to figure out. This is the same kind of blind arbitrary censorship that many internet forums practice. Why Live Mocha and not LingQ? Go figure.

I looked around and they say that they don’t want pages created to popularize a site or product, they only want pages talking about sites that are already popular. That could be the reason why. Not enough people know about us unlike the Livemocha’s and Pimsleur’s. Still pretty weak…

To a certain extent that’s understandable, since Wikipedia’s purpose isn’t (and shouldn’t be) soley to promote products, but while LingQ may not be as popular as Rosetta Stone or Livemocha, surely it has enough of a following by now? How popular is popular enough, I wonder.

By the way, I wasn’t implying that the reason for setting up a page would be to promote LingQ, but rather I can see why some people would make use of it for that reason. I would encourage trying to appeal, but if it turns out to be a real hassle, it might be worth waiting another six months or so, perhaps, until even more people join and the system develops further. But I mean really, there should be enough to show now to warrant a Wikipedia page…

Anybody here can upload the text again, and if it gets deleted it’s possible to request it being added, at Wikipedia:Requested articles - Wikipedia

Perhaps if you only put a little bit about LingQ on Wikipedia they wouldn’t object. A short objective paragraph with a hyperlink. If they allow it, more could be added later.

Also you’re not allowed to do it Steve. Sort of anyway. It’s considered taboo to edit your own pages or the pages of things you’re involved in.
It sort of did sound like an ad by the way… I think. You have to write in a way that says “Lingq is a learning system that claims to… blah blah”

also using articles from good sources on the page would help it stick too. I’m not sure who’s written about lingq though. I remember the Libertarian Party of Great Britain was having trouble getting a wikipedia page up when they got started… haha

sorry for the three posts in a row but one more thing…

The wikipedia page for the libertarian party of Great Britain says that it only has 314 members, so lingq is plenty big enough…

also someone who knows what they’re doing should also link lingq’s page to other pages like krashen’s and maybe the natural method page… ect…

I tried to add an article on LingQ at the Dutch Wikipedia. Here is all I wrote:

LingQ is een online gemeenschap en methode om talen te leren [1], gelanceerd in 2007. Het is voortgekomen uit ‘The Linguist’[2]. Voorlopig is de website beschikbaar in 12 talen waaronder ook het Nederlands.

Which means:
LingQ is an online community and language learning method and has been online since 2007.It originates from ‘The Linguist’. Now the website is available in 12 langauges, including Dutch.

My entry is marked for deletion.
I am updating the article right now.

http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/LingQ