Иметь в виду

hello everybody :slight_smile:
just have a question about this expression, i cant manage transltate it correctly :
can i translate кого/чeго имеешь в виду by : who you mean/ what you mean ? (or better : who you are talking about, what you are talking about)?
same for : кого имеешь в виду? : who are you talking about? (so it will be the same as : о ком ты говоришь? )

thanks for helping^^

1 Like

Кого ты имеешь в виду? Whom do you mean?
Что ты имеешь в виду? What do you mean?
Don`t forget ты/вы = you. And after whom/what must be verb for a question.

2 Likes

Absolutely right ! =))) In a word, these are synonimic phrases, with ‘who/what do you mean’ being a direct word-for-word translation, and ‘who/what are you talking about’ being its meaning ! :wink:

2 Likes

thanks a lot for your answer :slight_smile: very helpful for me!!

thanks! now just need to fix this notion! thanks again :slight_smile:

The pleasure’s mine! =)))) Should you need any further help, just feel free to ask me! =)))

Update: What do you mean requires a direct object in accusative case, that’s why although huge lot of people say “ЧЕГО ты имеешь в виду”, using genetive case instead of the accusative, the correct one is “ЧТО ты имеешь в виду” ! =)))

The background for this mistake is very simple and obvious: it’s because the genetive and accusative case for ‘Who do you mean’ just coincide, i.e. “КОГО ты имеешь в виду” ! =)) Looks like it’s in genetive case, but it’s in the accusative, actually! =)))

1 Like

“whoM” is outdated already! :wink:

ok :slight_smile: i even didnt notice it!! thanks a lot you just avoid me a long reflexion :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ah, the pleasure’s mine! =)))) It’s an extremely frequent mistake here in Russia! =))) Nearly an alternative norm already! :wink:

1 Like