How many words do we need to know?

From time to tiime we have a discussion about it here in the forum or in some other sites in the Internet.
That’s why I wrrote this article in Russian, and my friend Tim Coyle translated it into English.

Here it’s a link to the English version of my article for all people who are interested in this theme:

You can find, of course, also a Russian version in the Russian library of Lingq.com.

This is the Russian version I guess

This lesson is way out of my league at the moment, but looks interesting. Soon…

Thanks, Colin!
Now you have the links to both versions: Russian and English.
By the way, it’s a very good method to compare the same text in both languages.
It helped me a lot by studying English and German.
That’s why the English native speakers who are learning Russian can read and listen the Russian version and check their comprehension by English version.
And the Russian native speakers who are studying English can read and listen the English version and check temselves by Russian version.

I like the idea of having parallel texts of this sort. I have not really used these much, other than with Assimil. I liked having the Assimil translation next to the original text, especially since they give the proper translation and the word for word translation in brackets (at least in early lessons).

When I was in London last month, I bought a good book of short stories by Pushkin, Gogel, Tolstoy and others in their original Russian and in English. The two are presented side by side, so I look forward to when I am able to read them. (I got this book at the Watterstones bookstore in Picadilly, which is, according to their website at least, the largest bookstore in Europe. Amazingly, a third of a floor had been transformed into a Russian section. It was not for learners either. The learning material was in a different section.)

Yes, the Piccadilly Waterstone is brilliant. Did you have a look at the prices in the Russian mezzanine, though? Not for the faint-hearted.

Some years ago I bought a Russian-French parallel text: very useful.

I didn’t check out the prices. I asked why they had such a large section of Russian books and they said it is because the owner is Russian. It still seems strange though. I don’t remember it being like that the previous time I went.

It’s been there for a couple of years now, I think. I remember my surprise when I first saw the sign for a separate Russian shop within Waterstone’s. I immediately thought of skyblueteapot and how she would love being let loose there.

(Btw,I bought the Fr-Ru parallel textbook in France at ‘Fnac’ (a firm favourite of mine in Lille), not at Waterstone’s),

Do you live in London?

I’ve lived in the sticks for more than 20 years now, but try to get to London as often as possible. I still miss it. Luckily enough my son and his family live there.