What`s "balcony off" meaning?

what`s “balcony off” meaning?

Your sentence: It has two rooms and a balcony off of those rooms and downstairs there’s like a living room area and a tatami mat room, kitchen, bathroom.

I found this article in my dictionary:

off of = outside

Usage: Outside of tends to be more commonly used in the US than in Britain, where outside usually suffices, but, like its cousin OFF OF, it is colloquial and not recommended for formal writing. (See usage at off .) The adverb outside is not problematic when referring to physical space, position, etc. (I’m going outside ), but the compound preposition outside of is often used as a colloquial (and often inferior) way of saying except for , other than , apart from (outside of what I just mentioned, I can’t think of any reason not to ). Besides possibly sounding more informal than desired, outside of may cause misunderstanding by suggesting physical space or location when that is not the point to be emphasized, or when no such sense is intended — consider the ambiguity in this sentence: outside of China, he has few interests . Does this mean that his primary interest is China? Or does it mean that whenever he is not in China, he has few interests?

It simply means that each room has a balcony.

1 Like

“balcony off” has no meaning that I am aware of.

“A balcony of roses” would be a balcony full of potted rose trees or bushes.

“has two bedrooms and a balcony off of those rooms”

off of = leading out from; located on the side of; connected to

It has two bedrooms and a balcony connected to those rooms.

It is a small house and it is not entirely clear whether each upstairs room has its own personal (exterior) balcony or whether the rooms are side by side and share one long (exterior) balcony. She seems to be referring to two upstairs bedrooms (when houses are sold, they must always be listed by the official number of bedrooms and bathrooms), but later she says there is a bedroom and a tatami mat room upstairs and another tatami mat room downstairs. The upstairs bedroom is her bedroom, the upstairs tatami mat room is like a spare bedroom, and the downstairs tatami mat room is her roommate’s bedroom. So it’s not altogether clear. I think the upstairs bedroom and the upstairs tatami mat room probably officially count as “two bedrooms.”

Todd: So Keri, I hear you have a new house.
Keri: Yes, I do.
Todd: Wow! So what’s your new house like?
Keri: It’s small; it’s old; mostly wooden on the inside; has two bedrooms and a balcony off of those rooms; and downstairs there’s like a living room area and a tatami mat room; kitchen; bathroom.
Todd: Wow. So do you live in this tatami mat… tatami room?
Keri: No, there’s two tatami mat rooms; there’s one upstairs and there’s one downstairs; and I don’t live in either. One we use as kind of a spare room and the other one is my roommate’s bedroom.
Todd: OK. Oh, so you have a roommate.
Keri: Yes.
Todd: OK. What’s it like having a roommate?
Keri: It’s good.
Todd: Yeah?
Keri: It’s good. I like living alone too but sometimes it’s nice to come home and have someone there. And my roommate gets home before I do, and she likes to cook, so often she’s cooked dinner for me.
Todd: Wow, that’s nice!
Keri: I know.
Todd: So, do you do all the cleaning?
Keri: Well, actually now that you mention it, I do a lot of the cleaning, but no, not all of it.
Todd: Oh, okay. Well, what kind of things does she make you?
Keri: Last night she made curry. And I think it was an Indian curry.
Todd: Oh wow!
Keri: Tomato-based.
Todd: And spicy?
Keri: Yes.
Todd: Cool. All right, thanks a lot, Keri.
Keri: You’re welcome.