您 or 你

I have just read and listened to this lesson. From the audio, it sounds to me like every instance of 你 in the text is spoken like 您 in the audio. Am I correct? Looks like typos to me, but I am not good enough to be sure that I can hear the difference between these two words.

We can’t see a link to the lesson, brother.

Hmm, strange. The link to the lesson should appear automatically. Anyway, here it is

You are correct. Also the first sentence doesn’t make sense. “你要设么?” should be “您要什么?”

1 Like

Thanks. I left a message on the providers page. Hopefully he will correct the typos. That first sentence confused me a lot.

By the way, this context seems like buying fruit from a street vendor, which I do often. At least here in Shanghai, I’ve never heard anyone be so formal as to use 您 in this situation. Maybe they do so more in the North?

At university, we used Beijing Press materials, and learned to use 您 only towards, say, a teacher, or for elderly people - so it was hardly used . There weren’t any elderly actors either in the lesson video, so I was stumped, too.

I find that the two words are used without any special rules, although 你 is by far the most common. Really not a big deal, and you will never get in trouble for using 您.

The typo is finally fixed - 6 mths later, lol