Richard Dawkins

I found an interesting video for our Atheist Lingqers :Atheist Richard Dawkins Gets Owned by God! ┇FUNNY┇ by Sh. A.R. Green ┇Smile...itz Sunnah┇ - YouTube

“Dawkins gets owned by god”

I´m not going to watch that, sorry.
Dawkins is not the pope by the way, so it doesn´t even matter if he get´s owned or not.^^

This video is 8 minutes long. Forget it! My concentration doesn’t last that long. I’m gonna go study some Russian. I’ll be back in 7 minutes.

@Paule:‘‘Dawkins is not the pope by the way, so it doesn´t even matter if he get´s owned or not’’.So in other words he is a kind of ‘‘pope’’ for Atheists ? And he can never be wrong ?

Wow MADARA, you managed to interpret what Paule wrote in the exact opposite way to how it was intended.

1 Like

I was thinking that guys like Dawkins mean a lot for Atheists and that he getting owned doesn’t mean he is wrong .

I suspect Dawkins means nothing to most atheists who have heard of him. He means nothing to me and I don’t care if he gets owned.

1 Like

One of the things I like about being an atheist is that I don´t have defend any “holy books”, “laws” or “spiritual leaders”, there´s no dogma attached to it. Most atheists I´ve met so far don´t even who Dawkins is. I didn´t even know what “atheist” means until like 3 or 4 years ago.

I don´t know…maybe that helps you understand my perspective a little bit better.^^
I guess it´s hard for a religious person to imagine a lifestyle without religion.

Watching this video didn´t convince me that there´s a god by the way, it just makes me think that the muslim guy and the priest are idiots.

“Richard Dawkins said 'oh god”…and this is the guy who´s a non-believer!!!"

I mean…really? “Oh god” is simply what English-speaking people say when something bad happens (in this case not remembering something). Language is influenced by religion. I said “Oh Gott” thousands of times without thinking about god…I thought “well, that´s just what people say”. And why does he even have to know the full title of “the evolution of species”? And who is stupid enough to think that Dawkins is a religious leader, “a high priest”? Not-being-religious is not a religion.

This stuff makes it even harder to take religion seriously , sorry.

@Paul
The recent edition of “Tabernak !” to my active French vocabulary surely does not make me a Catholic :slight_smile:

“I guess it´s hard for a religious person to imagine a lifestyle without religion.”
Well, I think it’s more that they have a hard time imagining the idea of someone not identifying with a religion.

And it seems like they don´t like the idea either. In religious circles, atheists seem to be as trustworthy as rapists.^^

Maybe I will watch the video tomorrow when I get to work. My internet at home is too slow at the moment.

@ kimojima - Which guy did you mean? Your post was a bit unclear.

@Paule:‘‘Watching this video didn’t convince me that there´s a god by the way, it just makes me think that the muslim guy and the priest are idiots’’ . Well if you can say that they are idiots than I also think that Richard Dawkins is an idiot. I really don’t understand why you called them like that considering that they haven’t insulted Atheists , Germans or even your own person in particular in order to make you upset .

‘’ “Oh god” is simply what English-speaking people say when something bad happens (in this case not remembering something). ‘’ . Why do they use ‘God’ and not something else ? If you don’t believe in Him why would you call His name ?
I didn’t want to criticise Atheists or anything , I only wanted to hint to the fact that there is a God and nothing else.

And also if he is such a renowned scientist and self-proclaimed Atheist he should know the full title of ‘‘The evolution of species’’ .

Don’t get me wrong , I don’t want to annoy anyone here , it’s just that if you believe in something and you truly consider that that belief is the truth you would want to share it with everybody . I mean if you consider that Atheism is the right way , wouldn’t you want to persuade everybody to became one ?

@Paule: “…And why does (Dawkins) even have to know the full title of “the evolution of species”?..”

Actually, I would say there are two very good reasons why he should know:

1.) He is supposedly a leading academic and an expert in a field where this book is considered the foundational text.

2.) You have to understand the context of the BBC radio interview where he was unable to give the title accurately: in this interview he was arguing that many people who described themselves as “Christians” in the British national census are not really Christians at all, because they don‘t know the names of all the books in the Bible. It was rightly pointed out to Dawkins that by his own argument it could be said that he was not truly an evolutionist.

This is why, in the opinion of many commentators, he was left looking rather stupid.

@ Easy_Rider

I don’t think I know the full title of a single publication in my field of astrophysics. I don’t even know the titles of my own publications.

1 Like

@ MADARA

‘Oh God’ is just a phrase that people use in English. It has nothing to do with a belief in God. Anyway, don’t worry about annoying people here. You are unlikely to annoy anybody (except Steve), and you shouldn’t worry about it if you do (unless you annoy Steve).

@Colin:I sure wouldn’t want to annoy Steve considering that it’s because of him that we are able to use such a wonderful language learning website .
Of course I know that ‘Oh God’ is just a phrase but why is ‘God’ used and not, I don’t know, Oh shoe or something else. What I’m trying to say is that there is a reason behind the use of ‘God’ in this expression .

I guess the reason goes back to when people started using this phrase. I guess they were religious.

1 Like

@EasyRider

Of course it looks stupid, but even competent people can have trouble remembering things. I don´t really see the point.^^

@Madara

Actually, I haven´t seen enough of the priest to call him an idiot. I still think the muslim guy is an idiot though.

“…they haven’t insulted Atheists.Germans or even your own person in particular in order to make you upset .”

The muslim guy basically said that being an atheist is unnatural, because we´re born to praise allah and that it´s my parents fault that I don´t believe in a god. As if there´s something wrong with almost everyone I know and besides that I don´t think his argument makes any sense…so yeah, that´s why I think he´s an idiot. It´s not like that makes me super angry but the thought that there are probably hundreds of thousands of “spiritual leaders” preaching against “people like me” irritates me. Don´t you think you´d feel the same way if you were in my position?

" I mean if you consider that Atheism is the right way , wouldn’t you want to persuade everybody to became one ?"

I don´t feel like chatting up random strangers to tell them “the good news of there is no god”.^^ But I think that atheists (and sane believers) should speak out against religious people who are anti-gay, anti-atheist, anti-women, anti-science etc.

“Why do they use ‘God’ and not something else ?”

Because that´s how most people talk.When I was a child, I noticed that adults often said “Oh Gott” when something bad or exciting happened, so I started saying it myself, without thinking about it. During World War II, people in Germany used to say “Heute is Bombenwetter” (Today is bombweather) when the sky was clear and the sun was shining.
Good weather = allies bombing the city. The fact that I say “Bombenwetter” doesn´t mean that I expect Berlin to get bombed.^^ That´s just how language works, I guess.

@Paule

I guess the main point is that people can’t go on national radio and demand a standard for other people which they don’t conform to themselves.

If Dawkins is going to argue (as he did in the aforementioned interview) that one needs to be able to name books in the Bible before one would truly qualify as a Christian, then, to be consistent, he had better have a word perfect knowledge of his literature.

(The background to the interview was the national census which showed that a majority of British people still define themselves as “Christians”; Dawkins didn’t like this, so he was trying to say that most people don’t know the names of the Gospels, and that you need to do this in order truly to be a Christian.)

BTW
There were plenty of people - and not just religious people - who thought that Dawkins made a total clown of himself in this interview.