LingQing... A La Mode

Today we added a new mode to the lesson page. Now, in addition to Manual Mode and QuickLingQ Mode, we have introduced a new Auto Mode. Many of you who registered in the last few weeks will already be familiar with Auto Mode. Auto Mode will now be the default mode for all new users.

For those of you who didn’t even realize there were multiple modes to study a lesson, here is a quick primer on the 3 modes you have available. We encourage you to test drive the different modes by clicking on the Gear control on the lesson page.

Auto Mode

Auto Mode is our new default mode for new users. Thereafter, the lesson page remembers your last selected mode so you will always return to the mode you used last. In Auto Mode, LingQs are created automatically when you click away or, better yet, use the arrow keys to move away, from a blue word. When moving away from a blue word you are taken to the next highlighted word - blue or yellow.

When you leave a blue word the selected control in the blue pane is automatically selected. Normally, this is the first hint shown unless you use the up/down arrow keys to change your selection before moving away. We feel that if you click on a blue word, you don’t know it, therefore we will turn it into a LingQ and save it to your database for you. This is our fastest, most efficient mode yet, once you get used to it. It can be difficult to adjust to if you are used to another mode but I highly encourage our long time members to give it a try. You can perform most actions on blue words just using the arrow keys as you read the text.

Manual Mode

Manual Mode is a mode for those of you who like to create LingQs and then review and adjust status or add notes and tags. Every time you choose a hint for a blue word, that word remains selected and you are shown the yellow pane for that word. Then, once you are happy with that LingQ, you can move on to the next highlighted word using the arrow keys or your mouse.

QuickLingQ Mode

Our third mode is QuickLingQ Mode and was designed to do what it’s name implies. You will see that in this mode, when you click on a hint for a blue word, you are immediately taken to the next blue word and the page scrolls accordingly. You are moved from blue to blue to blue so you can quickly create your LingQs and remove all your blues. Typically users of this mode prefer to read their lessons with only yellow words in them and this is the fastest way to get rid of your blues.

We encourage all of you to try all of the different modes. You may find that some modes work better for certain languages or types of lesson. Or, you may discover that one of the other modes really suits your learning style better. Play around with the modes and let us know what you think!

bon soir

Good evening or day - it is day time in Vancouver :slight_smile:

I’m still conservative and prefer the Manual Mode. I’ve found so many wrong or incomplete hints, especially when words have several meanings. That is why I check the dictionary. That way I look much closer to a word, and I think, the word sticks better with me.

2 Likes

I wanna know how you pasted that jpeg image onto this page! :slight_smile: Normally I can only paste links to images on my LingQ “blog” from my wall posts.

Hello all

Just a test: