Japanese Lingqs

Hello,

Sometimes I lingq the japanese words(as know) only by knowing the kanji but without knowing the hiragana or the sound of the word.

Is it correct?

Thanks

It really is up to you how you want to approach it.

This is how I have been doing it… but that does not mean my way is the right way…

When I am first learning a word, I LingQ the hiragana version. In the “hint” field I put the Kanji. Once I feel like I know the word, I edit the LingQ so that it displays the Kanji and in the “hint” field I put the hiragana. Here is an example…

I come across the word 月 in a story.

I learn that 月 is pronounced つき and that it means “moon.”

I make sure that I have a LingQ that is つき and in the hint field (or notes field) I put the definition and kanji. Like this:

つき

Hint: moon, kanji = 月
Phrase:_______________
Notes: ________________

Once I feel that I have the word remembered well, I start to study the Kanji. I look up the stroke order and practice writing it. I also edit the LingQ so that it now looks like this:

Hint: moon, hiragana = つき
Phrase:_______________
Notes: ________________

If you don’t like this approach, you could also make two separate LingQs, one for the Kanji and one for the Hiragana. I prefer not to do it this way, however, because I feel like it artificially inflates my word count- but it depends on how you look at that and what you like to do with such word count data for your own measurements of progress.

@gabrielviotto - As kmahly says, it is up to you how you use the site but, the idea of making words known is that you know how to read them and what they mean. Otherwise, you should create a LingQ (yellow word) for these words until you think you know them. That way, they show up as yellow in your lessons so you can easily look them up and review them until you learn them.

I LingQ any word I don’t know. Every time I see it again, I can adjust the Hint, provide more information in the notes, tag it, or edit the captured phrase. Really all you are doing by LingQing is noting that you don’t understand the word, and need a hint of the meaning to get through the text you are learning.

As you read and listen to more content, and revisit your LingQs, your vocabulary and sense of the language improves. Good luck.