How do I learn on Lingq?

I worked on my Korean using the Lingq program for a while but then stopped (partly because of my work load and if I recall correctly partly because I didn’t feel I was getting any-where). Now I want to start back up again. How-ever, I don’t remember how to use Lingq lessons. I went all the way back to the first lesson, which I cannot understand beyond the occasional word. I can listen to it over and over again, but with-out understanding it, it will just frustrate me more and more. I found where the vocabulary flash-cards are (under tasks), but I can’t figure out how to indicate that I know a word. Even going through all the words, I still don’t understand the monologue when I go back to it.

I have been living in Korea a long time and no programs or classes or attempts to have key-pals seem to work for me - and when I try to speak to Koreans (beyond buying some-thing or asking directions) they either stare blankly at me or respond in broken, usually meaningless English. (My work-place mostly precludes my using Korean there.) I am SO frustrated, but I want to keep at it with Lingq. Can some-one guide me on how to use Lingq effectively?

i suggest that you just import loads of material that is useful/interesting and make lots of lingqs. it is a painstaking process , but you should try learn as many as you can, and try to recognize them in listening. before you do this though, you should to somewhat the same thing with beginner material. I.E, learn the most used and important words; like, if, with, and stuff like that. also try to learn as many adjectives and verbs as possible.

How to use lingq - check the academy → Login - LingQ

Korean learning experiences - Steve did a 90 day challenge log, starting here → 90-Day Challenge: Day 1 report - YouTube
Day 1 kaleidoscope here → 90-Day Challenge: A kaleidoscope of Day One - YouTube

How to learn languages / meta learning - Steve’s blog info summary → http://m.lingq.com/media/resources/attachments/2012/12/20/The_Linguist_Blog_Book_p64E.pdf

2 Likes

Some of us are big-steps learners, others start with baby-steps. Whatever works, works. This “not understanding” the monologue is perhaps not quite true. I bet you have very high expectations of yourself and ‘demand’ that you be perfect. (You are talking to a perfectionist.). Try the salami tactic: one slice at a time.

You are on the right track: familiarise yourself with LingQ, take note of the suggestions the other members here have already given to you, and find out what works for you. Perhaps you should listen to an unfamiliar text with an open mind, ie no “shoulds” or “oughts” and keep track of the words you do understand. How do they fit into a sentence? What is it about them that makes you recognise them? Where did you first learn them? How did that happen? Play with the vocabular here, listen to the individual flashcards if you like. Just keep at it, something will happen!

1 Like

I wish you the best of luck in learning Korean. I have been studying Korean since May, so I am a beginner. I find the process of creating lessons and finding audio for Korean time consuming. However, there does not appear to be a lot of Korean lessons on LingQ, so if you like reading about a particular topic, you’ll have to create your own lessons. I’m starting with a simple Korean folk tale “The Giving Tree” and some song lyrics. I do find it slow going. I’m just taking it on faith that this fog I am wandering around in will clear some day.

2 Likes

Iaing - Thank You for pointing me to the academy. I had forgotten how Lingq was structured. At the academy, I saw a screen image with two panes. The one on the right (with the avatar, translations, and all sorts of tools) in the tutorial does not appear on my screen. The tutorial tells how to minimize it but not how to get it back. Where do I find it? I tried the tools icon, but that didn’t mention it.

I’m not sure what you mean. Maybe a question for Alex. In a lesson page if you click on the two right pointing arrows you can open a second pane for dictionary functions and the like. If your browser is zoomed in too big, this disappears sometimes.

1 Like

Oh, those two chevrons!!! What a differences: now I can do some-thing besides hearing and reading the beginning lesson with-out understanding it. Whew. THANK YOU.