Chrome extension doesn't work correctly

Hi everyone!
Import Bookmarklet still doesn’t work (www.lingq.com/forum/1/11999/?page=2#post-177374, Import Via Bookmarklet - Language Forum @ LingQ) and Chrome extension also doesn’t work correctly:

For example, I opened the page “G7 Leaders 'Deeply Concerned' about Tensions in Asia” and activated chrome extension

1. it shows 6453 known words, although on the site is displayed 6445
  2. select article and press “open on LingQ” - nothing happens
  3. press “LingQ here” - a few words to highlight in yellow in the right column but none in the article (to be sure I imported text manually - New Words 9.8% for me, “Login - LingQ”)

I tried to use print version of page “G7 Leaders 'Deeply Concerned' about Tensions in Asia

1. press “open on LingQ” - nothing happens
  2. press “LingQ here” - once was messages “this text looks like it is not selected language” (selected only English), once it highlighted in yellow only one word “Tensions” and once nothing happens (each time the page was open again)

I use Chromium 34.0.1847.116 Ubuntu 14.04 aura (260972), LingQ Chrome extension ver. 1.2.3

Hi @Denton - I have tested Extension a bit with your link as an example. I’ve came across some issues too. It doesn’t highlight the main text for me (just some text on the sidebars) and it doesn’t import it to LingQ properly. However, it seems to be working OK for some other articles I have tested. It can also depend on the webpage characteristics. It doesn’t import the print version and shows an error. It might be related to the format here.

Would you try some other websites too just to see it it works. Please make sure to wait until a page loads completely. To import content to LingQ, you don’t need to select text, just click “open on LingQ”.

As for the bookmarklet, doesn’t it work at all or for certain webpages only? Do you use it in Chrome? Would you try different browsers just to test?

Hi @galina

For extension:
Here are more examples

1. ESLPod.com | Learn English With More Than 1800 Lessons
    first try - right after clicking on the extensions icon I get a message “this text looks like it is not selected language”
    second try - press “open on LingQ”, nothing happens; press “LingQ here”, no one highlighting word at all
  2. spotlightenglish.com/listen/nicola-tesla-the-forgotten-inventor
    first try - press “open on LingQ”, nothing happens; press “LingQ here” … seems than button works here (wow!), a lot of selected words and blue and yellow
  3. Friends - Fan Club Français de Friends
    first try - right after clicking on the extensions icon I get a message “this text looks like it is not selected language”
    second try - press “open on LingQ”, nothing happens; press “LingQ here” … a lot of selected words and blue and yellow
    Conclusion: you are right, it depends from sites. “LingQ here” is working on some of them, “open on LingQ” worse
    Obvious extension requires debugging and error correction
    P.S. difference between “known words” at the site and extension panel is preserved (6458-6450=8 now and 6453-6445=8 last time)

For bookmarklet:
“doesn’t it work at all or for certain webpages only?” - it doesn’t work at all in Chrome
For example, on all mentioned above links after clicking on the bookmarklets icon appears the box with language selection, after pressing “Import” botton in it - nothing happens (box doesn’t disappear)
“Do you use it in Chrome?” - yes, I try
“Would you try different browsers just to test?” - I tried Firefox 29.0 now and it works there! Thanks for the tip, I will probably switch to Firefox for imports, although it would be more convenient if it was fixed for Chrome

Hi @Denton, thanks for the additional testing and information. I was able to reproduce the issues you have mentioned. From all the examples, only Tesla article works fine for me (both “LingQ here” and “Open on LingQ”). The extension definitely seems to not work with some page formats (like plain pages).

At the moment we don’t have any immediate plans on improving Bookmarklet but we would rather look closer into Chrome Extension. I have reported these issues to our team. Once they are done with some key priority things, they will look into it to see what we can do here to make the extension work better with all web pages.

Hi @galina, thank you for the active participation.
I want to note that now the site works much better and faster than a couple of months ago. So I’m sure that Extension and the Mobile App will work perfect soon - thanks a lot to all team.
… from Russia … with love …