SwedishLingQ - Eating Out, Part 5

In this lesson, the term:

Vi frågar kyparen om menyn , is used, however, whilst i understand the meaning of the sentence is roughly 'We’ll ask the waiter for the menu", i don’t understand why the word om is used, as i was under the impression this meant “if”

Would anyone be able to clarify this? Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

It means something like “about” or “on”, in this sentence it is the equivalent to the English “for”.
Frâgar om - to ask about/for something (I guess) :slight_smile:

Jag frågar dig om du vill äta. Om du är hungrig? Om jag frågar dig nu. Om det är fint väder. Om det går bra. Om du är här. Om man kan fråga så. Om du vill. Jag gör såhär, om det går bra. Jag frågar om det finns en meny. Jag frågar honom om gårdagens maträtt. Jag har redan frågat ifall det finns en meny.

Thank you for the helpful phrases. I’ve imported them into a lesson, worked through them, and kinda understand how om works. Thanks for the help :slight_smile:

Thank you for your reply :slight_smile: I sorta assumed that was the case, but wasn’t sure. Thanks again :slight_smile:

You’re welcome. I am just getting into Swedish, it’s so fun :slight_smile: Crazy spelling/pronunciation though :slight_smile: