Übersetzung-Frage: Immer will gerade dann ein Zug die Straße kreuzen,

Übersetzung-Frage: Immer will gerade dann ein Zug die Straße kreuzen, wenn ich dort lang fahre. This sentence seems to me be saying, “A train always crosses the street whenever I am there long.” aber wurde “fahren” benutzt hier nicht sein. Bitte, kann jemand mir das erklären? Danke.

Weil Züge fahren und nicht laufen.^^

Es tut mir leid. Ich kann diene Antwort nicht verstehen. Bitte, kannst du den Satz übersetzen? Mein Übersetzung ist falsch?? Richtig?

@alchemist

Faustregel: wenn etwas einen Motor hat, dann muss es “fahren” und nicht “laufen”.

Ein neuer Motor muss eingefahren werden (i.e. it has to be run in.) Doch neue Schlittschuhen müssen eingelaufen werden. (i.e. broken in).

At least, I think that’s right isn’t it, native speakers…?

(Mind you, one can “Schlittschuhfahren” as well as “Schlittschuhlaufen”…so German is a confusing old language…! :-0)

@alchemist

Vehicles, etc, “fahren”. But if you’re on foot, you “gehen” or “laufen”. They use different verbs.

If you use “fahren” you are talking about traveling in a vehicle (or talking about a vehicle traveling - depending on context.)

“An einer Stelle kreuzen Schienen die Straße und als ich dort ankam, waren natürlich mal wieder die Bahnschranken unten und das Signal stand auf rot. Irgendwie habe ich das Gefühl, dass ich immer dieses “Glück” habe. Immer will gerade dann ein Zug die Straße kreuzen, wenn ich dort lang fahre”

English:
There is a place where rail tracks cross the road, and as I arrived there the barriers were of course yet again lowered and the signal was red. Somehow I have the feeling that this is always my luck. A train is always crossing the road right at the time when I’m driving along there.

Danke Prinz_Wladimir

You asked “aber wurde “fahren” benutzt hier nicht sein”, so I answered “Weil Züge fahren und nicht laufen” (because trains drive, not walk)

Ich verstehe, Paule89. Danke

I know your question has already been answered, but for some reason I thought about the “fahren vs. laufen”-thing today and realized something.^^

Cars, motorcycles, monster trucks, vans etc. are all “Fahrzeuge”. Drive things.^^
If you keep in mind that “ein Motorrad” (a “motor wheel” <–a motorcycle) is “ein Fahrzeug” (a drive thing), it´s logical to use “fahren” instead of “laufen”. Planes are “Flugzeuge” (fly things), so you use “fliegen” instead of “fahren”. Aircraft in general are called “Luftfahrzeuge” (air drive things) and they use the verb “fliegen” as well.

This type of logic can be found across the whole german language, but it´s not always as straight forward as “Flugzeuge fliegen und Fahrzeuge fahren”. For example, you say “Ich benutze ein Werkzeug” (I´m using a “work thing” ← a tool) instead of “Ich werke ein Werkzeug” (I´m working a work thing^^)

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification, Paule89. Every little bit helps. Vielen Dank.