Se sabe tirar de cabeza a la piscina Translation? Any

Se sabe tirar de cabeza a la piscina

Translation??

Any help appreciated. Thanks

Wordreference.com provides a good definition for this verbal expression
v expr

tirarse de cabeza en la piscina dive head first into the pool

Se sabe tirar de cabeza a la piscina → Do you know how to dive head first into the pool?

Thanks Marianne.

I´m curious to know why the impersonal “se sabe” is used.

Any help appreciated. Thanks again.

“Se” is used quite a bit in Spanish. This “se” in" se sabe" is called the impersonal “se”. It is used when the subject is just general or not known.

For example, “No se permite nadar en el río.” One cannot swim in the river. “Se prohibe fumar”. One cannot smoke (Smoking is prohibited. “Se cambian cheques aquí.” Checks are cashed here. "

The verb in the sentence is conjugated ONLY in the 3rd person singular or plural.

An excellent reference is the short youtube by the AplusSpanishAcademy - Learn Spanish Impersonal and Passive se - Learn Spanish Impersonal and Passive se - YouTube.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Marianne,

Thanks for your response. I´m wondering why the impersonal is used here: One knows how to dive head first into the pool.

If they´re not referring to anyone in particular then what are they talking about??

Good question. I have seen the use of the impersonal “se” for a list of requirements that refers to everyone in general. To earn this “swim medal”: 1. One knows how to dive head first into the pool. 2. One knows how to swim underwater for 30 seconds." 3. One knows how to swim in a lane…etc.

Thanks for pointing out that very helpful YT channel!
Meow

Answering some of these questions has helped me to review Spanish grammar, so I am glad to help :slight_smile:

Ahhh the ‘se’ is from the verb tirar, not saber. I get it now.

So the sentence reads: he/she/you knows how to dive headfirst into the pool