Lesson Notes for the Japanese Newbie lessons

Romaji

Watashi wa Mayumi desu. Anata wa William-san desu ka?

• Hai, watashi wa William desu.

Watashi wa ureshii desu. Kanojo wa kanashii desu ka?

• Hai, kanojo wa kanashii desu.

Watashitachi wa dai-gakusei desu. Anatatachi wa koukou-sei desu ka?

• Iie, watashitachi wa chuu-gakusei desu.

Kanojotachi wa Burajiru-jin desu. Karera wa Mekishiko-jin desu ka?

• Iie, karera wa Itaria-jin desu.

English

I am Mayumi. Are you Mr. William?

• Yes, I am William.

I am happy. Is she sad?

• Yes, she is sad.

We are college students. Are you high school students?

• No, we are junior hight school students.

They (female) are Brazilians. Are they Mexicans?

• No, they are Italians.

In Japanese, questions are formed by adding the particle ka (or in colloquial speech, just by changing the intonation of the sentence). (Wikipedia)

Easy, eh? :slight_smile:

漢字

私 は 真由美 です。 あなた は ウィリアムさん です か?

• はい、私 は ウィリアム です。

私 は うれいい です。 彼女 は 悲しい です か?

• はい、彼女 は 悲しい です。

私達 は 大学生 です。あなた達 は 高校生 です か?

• いいえ、私達 は 中学生 です。

彼女達 は ブラジル人 です。彼ら は メキシコ人 です か?

• いいえ、 彼ら は イタリア人 です。

I want to add explanations from Wikipedia.

Japanese nouns have no grammatical number, gender or article aspect. The noun hon (本) may refer to a single book or several books; hito (人) can mean “person” or “people”; and ki (木) can be “tree” or “trees”. Where number is important, it can be indicated by providing a quantity (often with a counter word) or (rarely) by adding a suffix. Words for people are usually understood as singular. Thus Tanaka-san usually means Mr./Ms. Tanaka. Words that refer to people and animals can be made to indicate a group of individuals through the addition of a collective suffix (a noun suffix that indicates a group), such as -tachi, but this is not a true plural: the meaning is closer to the English phrase “and company”. A group described as Tanaka-san-tachi may include people not named Tanaka. Some Japanese nouns are effectively plural, such as hitobito “people” and wareware “we/us”, while the word tomodachi “friend” is considered singular, although plural in form.

Hi … i really benefited from this lesson … really enjoyed it and found it useful for my understanding.