Reading

Hallo Steve,

if you talk from “reading” as a good method to learn a foreign language, do you mean silent reading or loud reading?

Best regards,

Frederik

As far as I know Steve has said he prefers silent reading in foreign languages. I’ll let Steve elaborate.

Sorry for the delay in replying. I have occasionally tried to read out loud. I have never been able to keep it up for very long. I prefer silent reading, and now that I have LingQ, I prefer to read at LingQ until the unknown words % is below 5% or so.

Hi!
As far as I am concerned, some people try to read out loud in very early stages of learning a language. It happens before people have listened to enough hours of the language. The result, in my opinion, is that it could be harmful for getting a good pronuntiation.

I tell this because I had a bad experience about reading out loud. When I started learning English in school, the teacher asked to students to read out loud in English, and the pronuntiation of course was absolutely terrible!

I agree with you Oscar, and especially in a classroom. Yet so many teachers love to get their students to do this.