Listening and Reading Method with Audiobooks!

What is your take on this?
Following along text in your native language and then listening to the text in your target language simultaneously.

A couple of days ago the first time in my life I gave it a go. Following along in English and listening to an audiobook in German. (my target language). I purchased and read the book “Edward Snowden, Permanent Record” in English a very long time ago. A couple of days ago I found an audiobook version in German on Spotify, totally free. So I followed along in English and listening to it in German at the same time. To my big surprise, I understood literally everything in German. 70-80% comprehension I believe. I was even guessing what german word the narrator was going to speak for certain English words since I know the equivalence in German.

I enjoyed the experience.

I have a follow-up question.
Should I purchase a physical copy of the book in German language and follow along text in German?

Why not purchase an ebook version and import it into Lingq?

Thanks. I just checked the imported option. I think I will go for e-book version.

I will have to better focus on this method as well but I’d go for German audiobook + German text. The only problem I have for now, for example, it’s to find engaging stuff to my newbie level, which is very difficult.

I never try this kind of method. But I have a guess, maybe you understand the English rather than German. I will try this method to see if it is helpful for learning a new language.
And my method is audiobook + book.
Especially the Whispersync for Voice feature of Audible which enables me to compare the audiobook and eBook. This really helps me a lot. I usually listen to Audible books when cooking with my LG TV after converting Audible to MP3 (with [OFFICIAL] ViWizard AA/AAX Audiobook Converter for Windows - Fastest AA/AAX Audiobooks to MP3 Converter) and read the eBook before sleep.

When I buy an e-book on Amazon, it is sent to my kindle and I can’t import the files into LIngQ. How do you buy an e-book that you can import to lingQ – I have files from the Guttenberg Project that I import to lingQ, (and they are free) but what about content that I already PAID for and want to follow it in lingQ? Do you know? THanks

you need to follow these steps in order to convert a kindle book format into a pdf and upload it here.

I would also purchase the physical book if your language budget allows. I purchase one physical book in my target language every month. Some books I have the audio version on my phone and I have the physical version. Every evening I read a chapter in my physical book. I reread aloud the same chapter for about 2-3 days and then listen to the audio and read along aloud, after the 3rd read I move onto the next chapter. I finish one book in my L2 every month. The books are normally dialog but sometimes they focus on science or family life.

1 Like

Any logic behind your unique method. Seems like you are trying to drill your target language into a subconscious mind. I could well be wrong with my assessment, though. I can definitely try with Permanent record. I both have an ebook and a physical book in German. Additionally, I have access to the audiobook as well. I can give it a try at least with first chapter and see how it goes.

Thanks so much - I will try it…I am not very savvy with the computer, but if you never try, you never learn.