German Word Order

Could some one help me with word order please? I’m going to Germany next year, don’t know any German and don’t like going places, expecting people to speak english. I like to at least try their language. But what good would it be if I don’t know how to string a sentence together? :slight_smile:

You learn best by being an independent learner! Have you tried googling “German grammar”? If you are still stuck after that, I’m more than happy to help out with specifics. Here is one hint: the German verb usually takes second position in a main sentence. You’ll just have to decide where this is…

I have tried googling german word order but I cannot concentrate on things like that. The problem I find is that they use german sentences to demonstrate, even though I don’t know any German! That’s why I came here. I find the best grammar tutorials are the ones who teach you things like that in your own language. For example, I wouldn’t say La chat noir for for an explanation of where to put adjectives in french. I would put: “The cat black”. It is always clearer to me that way so I can spot any differences.

May you put some examples here of basic english sentences here with german word order please, or would that be too difficult?

Well, this will sound odd: if you look into the lessons “Aber natürlich” that I’ve shared in the German library, you will find word-for-word translations, exactly like your cat black, in the Resources tab.

(This does not mean you have to take my lessons, you can simply have a look at the translation (the translation proper is in the English library under “And now”.)

The typical German sentence has the verb in second place. (German word order = English word order).

Yesterday have I a letter written.

If you much listen, then will you it understand.

If you start worrying about German word order before you even start learning the language you are just creating unnecessary obstacles. Just listena and read and LingQ for a while and things will become a lot clearer for you.

The German word order is very logical: the verbs are always on the second and last places: Ich habe ein Buch; ich habe das Buch schon gelesen - I have a book; I have already read this book.
The verb in the clause is always on the last place: Das ist das Buch, dass ich lese - It’s a book (that) I am reading.
It is simple, isn’t it?
But Steve and Sanne are right: In order to learn any language you have to listen a lot.
Good luck - Viel Erfolg!