How Would You Describe LingQ (In 1-2 sentences)

Mine would be,

A language app that helps you become fluent using content YOU love.

How about you?

4 Likes

A language app that lets you in but never let you out with underhanded marketing. Just kidding. A little bit banter. :wink:

On a serious note, it has been 6 months. For sure, I have not achieved real fluency that I can claim If I am either speaking or writing fluently. However, when it comes to improving listening and reading abilities in German, I detected a little bit of improvement in terms of comprehending the language. Again, I have not read 2 million words as of yet so I reserve my judgment.

A language app that helps me not to feel alienated in times of a pandemic lockdown. It has been a good companion, so to speak.

3 Likes

Hi, Eric!

I would describe LingQ as follows:

LingQ is a flexible audio reader platform that allows autonomous learners to control the content and be more successful in learning a language!
In other words, entertainment, fun, interest, etc. are nice-to-haves, not must-haves. But making progress as an autonomous learner because you are able to control the content you digest is a necessity! This also means that successful learners are not addicted to fun, comfort, entertainment, and so on. They do whatever it takes to be successful ā€¦

Or, if someone prefers catchy slogans without the addiction to fun and comfort :slight_smile:

• LingQ: Be successful by controlling the content you digest!
  • LingQ: Select the content you want and be successful / become fluent!

Have a nice weekend
Peter

3 Likes
  1. Duolingoā€™s annihilator (even though they didnā€™t need your help).
  2. The language app that really gives fluency with a different language learning approach.
  3. LingQ : The Communityā€™s dictionary and content. (gosh, learning a language before the Internet must have been so slowā€¦ searching for one word in an enormous dictionaryā€¦ now in one click we get a complete translation).
  4. Addiction, connection. Satisfaction, determination.
  5. The language app that gives you more results with less work (because of the community dictionnary and the philosophy of more confrontation with the language and less grammar)
3 Likes

A significant part of my life in the last decade - LOL

4 Likes

A daily priority goal

3 Likes

A tool that makes reading in a foreign language much easier, and allows one to comprehend content that would normally be out of reach.

I wouldnā€™t be able to read Game of Thrones in Portuguese without lingq. Itā€™s ~15% unknown words which would make it a nightmare, but with lingq itā€™s not a problem. Allowing me to tackle more difficult content and get to the interesting stuff much quicker than normal.

3 Likes

ā€œDuolingoā€™s annihilator (even though they didnā€™t need your help)ā€
Yes, something like:
LingQ = Owl Eater.
RIP Duolingo Owl :wink:

2 Likes

Duolingo makes no sense to me, Iā€™m glad I stopped using it. The only useful thing is the forum but then again, thereā€™s other sites like HiNative to ask questions. Other than that, they just ask us to put words in the right order and translate (weird) sentences over and over again, and they have a premium subscription for that :joy:

I think that the best thing to do and what I tell everyone is to get subbed to the shortest Babbel sub in order to get the basics of grammar and stuff, then switch to LingQ. Being subbed to Babbel longer would be completely useless since after completing all the grammar main courses, the rest of the courses is just a bunch of vocabulary. Besides, although their grammar courses are amazing, their marketing sucks. They make us all pay the same price even though Spanish is available up to advanced while Swedish has been stuck at pre-intermediate for more than a year. Then, the rest of the courses is just a bunch of vocabulary. Iā€™m glad I was able to grasp a one free month promo code and that month was more than enough.

TLDR: I think Duolingo is a bad version of Babbel and they both end up making us stagnate after a while.

2 Likes

Hi, Leoutre!

Yes, I agree. Duolingo is highly problematic for language learning.

• The translation method works as a complement, but it isnā€™t a substitute for massive immersion/exposure. Or to put it another way: If you want to translate well, you need a large active and passive vocabulary, especially conventionalized word groups = collocations, etc. In contrast, word-for-word translations with or without grammar lessons are simply bad without this extensive conventionalized language knowledge, because you tend to mess up your competence in the target language. That is, one tends to invent oneā€™s own, more or less weird version of the target language.
    By the way, it doesnā€™t help in this context that Duolingoā€™s AI likes to produce semantically quirky sentences Ć  la ā€œThe spider is eating the elephantā€ :slight_smile:
  • Maybe Iā€™m wrong, but Duolingo seems more like a programmerā€™s dream (ā€œHey, we have all these new machine learning toys, what can we do with them?ā€) than a language learner/teacher/trainerā€™s dream. In other words, implementation is driven more by technology than by knowledge of second language acquisition. And thatā€™s bad - in every domain (beyond second language acquisition)!
  • The stories for some important Indo-European languages are good comprehensible content for learners at an A2-B1 level. But, unfortunately, itā€™s difficult to ā€œharvestā€ these stories in Audio Readers, MP3 players, external SRS, etc.
  • Duolingoā€™s bilingual podcasts, gamification. forum and user interface are excellent, but they canā€™t save the SLA mess.
    The funny thing is that Duolingo is the most popular language learning platform on planet Earth with more than 300 million registered users!.
    However, this means that a ā€œwisdom of the crowdā€ approach is only a rational strategy for dealing with complexity if enough members of the crowd know what theyā€™re doing.
    Duolingo is an example of a crowd that clearly has no idea how to effectively approach learning a second language!

"and they have a premium subscription for that "
Yes, when I saw this for the first time, I couldnā€™t stop laughing, because if the free version is already an educational messā€¦ Youā€™re probably just paying for the good intention of Duolingoā€™s founders (ā€œfree language learning for the massesā€). But, as we all know: ā€œThe road to hell is paved with good intentionsā€ (even more so if you donā€™t know what youā€™re doing) :slight_smile:

Babbel or (in my case) Busuu
Short grammar lessons as a complement to a massive immersion / exposure approach can be quite useful.
But, I wouldnā€™t start with explicit grammar instruction in second language acquisition over an extended period of time because we know from the translation-grammar (TG) approach in classical and modern languages that it tends to produce good grammarians, but not competent language users, i.e. good listeners, speakers, readers and writers.
At the (absolute) beginner stage (= the warm-up phase), a soft approach to grammar Ć  la Michel Thomas or the Thinking Method (The Thinking Method Guidebook ā€” Language Transfer), introducing some basic syntactic patterns of the target language, is sufficient.

Have a nice Sunday
Peter

2 Likes

Hi there.

I have heard this criticism often, but I just do not get it. Duolingo is not about rearranging words in a certain order. That only happens if you chose to use it that way, using the word bank that can be easily deactivated. You can choose to deactivate it, so you have to type the whole sentence by yourself.

So basically it is a flashcard system, but with sentences, not with words. This allows a beginner to practice A1-A2 level active output and thus learn the grammar and vocabulary of that level, for free.

1 Like

A language GPS that allows us to explore languages without (level) limits

2 Likes

Hello Peter,

I think one of the strongest features of Duolingo is that it is not a word-by-word translation process, and that it does allow to learn collocations. This is the difference between Duolingo (sentence flashcards) and other flashcard platforms (focused on words).

At least that has been my experience with the courses I took there, although admittedly they are not all of the same quality.

1 Like

If you can only use a single tool for language learning, then LingQ is the best available.

2 Likes

Exactly!

Hi, jokojoko83!

I just checked my Duolingo languages (Spanish, French, Japanese and Latin) to see if anything has changed since I last visited about 2 years ago.
You are right, we need to be more precise here. What I meant to say is that Duolingo tries to teach you some basic vocabulary (mostly words, sometimes groups of words) that is often embedded in sentences about a specific topic (places, people, at home, at work, etc.). But they still highlight many ā€œsingle wordsā€ that you have to translate within a sentence or without a sentence.
However, the main criticism remains: It is still a ā€œpoor or inferiorā€ approach to learning an L2 because it fails in all four dimensions that are important for communication:

1. Listening / reading:
  • Even with all the translation exercises and stories, Duolingoā€™s comprehensible content is simply not enough to grasp the highly conventionalized patterns of the target language. You have to digest more than 1 / 1.5 million words before these unconscious pattern recognition processes become reasonably automatic.
  • Acontextual translations of single words or sentences are not a substitute for reading and listening to authentic language material in context. At best, they can be a complement, but thatā€™s about it.
  • It gets even worse when these sentences are just artificial constructs that native speakers would never or rarely use.
  • And why on earth bother learners with non-frequent words like ā€œowlā€ = ā€œchouetteā€ (in French) right at the beginning of the exercise tree?
  1. Speaking: Yes, you can repeat the words/phrases of the translation exercises like a parrot, but almost all learners who rely only on Duolingo would probably collapse in a short conversation with a native speaker.
    Even the Duolingo guys themselves have failed in this regard:
    ā€œAfter six months of studying French with Duolingo, von Ahn demonstrated a lack of basic verb tenses when asked to describe his weekend in French, ā€œmangling his tenses.ā€ Bob Meese, Duolingoā€™s chief revenue officer, did not immediately understand the spoken question ā€œĀæHablas espaƱol?ā€ after six months of Duolingo Spanish study.ā€ Duolingo - Wikipedia (highlighting by me).

2. Writing: I doubt that a learner who relies only on Duolingo for language learning is even capable of writing a short email of 10 sentences , for example, to a fictitious friend.

3. Grammar: Even Duolingoā€™s grammar explanations are too superficial to be of much use.

In sum:

• Both in terms of communication, i.e. all its four dimensions, and grammar, Duolingo is simply a poor approach. And itā€™s not surprising that language coaches like Kerstin Cable and linguists like Steven Sacco have come to the same conclusion: ā€œBoth Sacco and Cable added that Duolingoā€™s translation method of teaching is ultimately inferior to learning a language in an immersion environment.ā€ Duolingo - Wikipedia (highlighting by me).
  • ā€œA significant portion of our users use it because itā€™s fun and itā€™s not a complete waste of time.ā€ (Duolingoā€™s CEO, Luis von Ahn). Donā€™t get me wrong here: Luis von Ahn seems like a great guy and is a great computer scientist, but he makes the same mistake that many of my students made when they tried to defend their poor learning strategies and study habits with questionable arguments. And, of course, there may be some biases at play here as well, such as the ā€œsunk cost bias.ā€
  • In contrast, my position is: If the language learning approach is neither very efficient nor very effective, itā€™s a waste of precious life time.
  • Regarding ā€œfunā€: Itā€™s no fun if you immediately collapse in an interaction with native speakers of the target language. Been there, done that (when I was a teenager) - not recommended :slight_smile:

BTW: Free and useless is still useless :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The Swiss Army Knife of language learning tools.

Although ā€˜Canadianā€™ might be more accurate.

2 Likes

Hello Peter,

You have raised many interesting and valid points, especially about unconscious biases in my opinion.

Nevertheless, I do not think all of them are valid, allow me to explain.

Part of the critic is that Duolingo is ā€œincompleteā€. For example, Speaking and Listening are almost non-existent, clearly insufficient at any rate.

However I do not see how that invalidates any tool. It just means that the tool needs to be complemented. The same criticism could be made of almost any other tool, expect perhaps full immersion. For instance Lingqā€™s active output tools are rather incomplete. I do not judge this to be a shortcoming, instead I think Lingq is the best programm at the core value it offers: helping users process passive input.

Just as I would not judge Lingq bad just because it does not include all possible aspects or features of language learning, I would not judge Duo (or any other tool) bad just because it is incomplete.

With respect to points 2 and 3, I am sure we can all gather anecdotal evidence of people failing with different methods. I only know thoroughly my own case. I learnt Russian (imperfectly) with Duolingo and I could communicate (admittedly rather poorly) with my Russian speaking relatives (mother-in-law, sister-in-law). Then I started using Lingqā€™s ministories and enjoyed the ride ever since, certainly Lingq is better and it can potentially help you up to any level (including C2) way beyond any other tool.

Regarding writing and grammar, I thoroughly disagree. Those are the strongest features I think, that you get with Duolingo. You have to write sentences in a gramatically correct manner all the time, it is basically all you do.

Letā€™s see about grammar. I think it is one of the best tools to practice grammar at A1-A2 level. I think this is the part where we differ the most. Let me elaborate.

Duolingo does not offer (almost) any grammar explanation. It just offers grammar practice. Again, this does not make it bad, just incomplete. They are supposed to be complemented.

By translating sentences you get grammar practice of several kinds at the same time: - morphological exercises (important in languages with declension or complex verbal systems), - syntaxis (especially important in languages with rigid word order), - different grammar structures of the sentence, in the cases where both languages tackle something in a different manner.

Examples from the French from Chinese course:

你们将会喝ē™½č‘”č„é…’é…ęµ·é²œć€‚
ꄏꀝę˜Æļ¼š Vous boirez du vin blanc avec les fruits de mer.

Jā€™ai achetĆ© une commode avec dix tiroirs.
ꄏꀝę˜Æļ¼š ęˆ‘ä¹°äŗ†äø€äøŖęœ‰åäøŖęŠ½å±‰ēš„ę–—ęŸœć€‚

大学ē”Ÿä»¬éžåøøé«˜å…“čƒ½č·Ÿē€čæ™åč€åøˆå­¦ä¹ ć€‚
ꄏꀝę˜Æļ¼š Les Ć©tudiants ont Ć©tĆ© trĆØs heureux dā€™Ć©tudier avec cette professeur.

Tu dois cliquer avec la souris.
ꄏꀝę˜Æļ¼š ä½ åŗ”čÆ„ē”Øé¼ ę ‡ē‚¹å‡»ć€‚

Nous avons tous nos amis avec nous.
ꄏꀝę˜Æļ¼š ęˆ‘ä»¬ęœ‰ęˆ‘ä»¬ę‰€ęœ‰ēš„ęœ‹å‹åœØčŗ«č¾¹ć€‚

Je garde mon sac avec moi.
ꄏꀝę˜Æļ¼š ꈑꊊꈑēš„包ē•™åœØčŗ«äøŠć€‚

Je regarde la tƩlƩ avec une grosse couverture.
ꄏꀝę˜Æļ¼š ꈑē›–ē€äø€ę”åŽšč¢«å­ēœ‹ē”µč§†ć€‚

ę‚Øęƒ³č¦å’Œęˆ‘ä»¬äø€čµ·åŽ»å—ļ¼Ÿ
ꄏꀝę˜Æļ¼š Voudriez-vous venir avec nous ?

I can provide more examples, but as anyone can see you never get a simple explanation of the word ā€œavecā€ in this course. Instead, you are forced to learn that prepositions are actually similar to verbs in Chinese, you are forced to break down the functions that have collapsed into French ā€œavecā€ (company, instrumental, etc) and use them in Chinese in a context-sensitive manner (just by translating the instrumental meaning of ā€œavecā€ you get different translations, depending on how you use that specific object). This goes beyond practicing syntax and morphology, you need to restructure the sentence quite dramatically. I think this shows how Duolingo beats any (word) flashcard active-output system.

Regarding semantics: by translating sentences you certainly lack a broader context. Nevertheless the words are not presented in an isolated fashion, and the rest of words of the sentence provide enough context to choose which way you have to translate a specific word.

Examples:

Ich sitze am Steuer.
ŠŸŠµŃ€ŠµŠ²Š¾Š“: ŠÆ сŠøŠ¶Ńƒ Š·Š° руŠ»Ń‘Š¼.

Ihm wurde geschrieben, dass er Steuern bezahlen muss. ā€“ Š•Š¼Ńƒ Š½Š°ŠæŠøсŠ°Š»Šø, чтŠ¾ Š¾Š½ Š“Š¾Š»Š¶ŠµŠ½ уŠæŠ»Š°Ń‚Šøть Š½Š°Š»Š¾Š³Šø.

So you do not learn a one-to-one translation of ā€œSteuerā€, but you figure it out by context. The rest of the sentence is enough context to know when german ā€œSteuerā€ is the steering wheel or the taxes.

Finally I am not sure whether collocations should be classified as a grammar or a semantic issue, but it is another of the strong points of Duo.

When translating a fairly simple sentence from Russian to German:

Wovon hƤngt das ab?
ŠŸŠµŃ€ŠµŠ²Š¾Š“: ŠžŃ‚ чŠµŠ³Š¾ этŠ¾ Š·Š°Š²ŠøсŠøт?

You not only learn the collocation of ā€œabhƤngenā€ with ā€œvonā€, as well as the collocation of Š·Š°Š²ŠøсŠøть and Š¾Ń‚; but you also practice the verbal conjugation and the declension of a pronoun.

In short, by translating each sentence, you practice active output tackling several grammar and semantic aspects:

• Syntaxis
  • Morphology
  • Collocations
  • Vocabulary

Within A1-A2 level.

It is almost devoid of any Speaking / Listening value. Its content does not go further into B / C levels.

So I think it is incomplete, but very good at what it does provide.

1 Like

Hi, Jokojoko83!

Unfortunately, the forum software doesnā€™t allow me to reply directly to your last comment, so I have to reply to my own last comment.
Anyway, regarding your points:

1. Incompleteness
    My main point was never about the ā€œincompletenessā€ of certain aspects of language learning with Duo. It was about
    a) its a-contextuality
    b) its a-communication
    c) Its poor grammar explanations
    In all three aspects, Busuu, for example, does a ā€œfarā€ (!) better job than Duo. But, even Busuu as a digitized version of the grammar-translation approach shouldnā€™t be used at the (absolute) beginner stage.
    The reason is: The (grammar-translation or more general: type-token) idea that one must first internalize explicit (grammar) rules in order to then apply them when speaking/writing, esp. when translating, is an approach that doesnā€™t work well in oral and written communication.
    Although itā€™s fine as a (ā€œshortā€) complement for immersion / exposition-heavy approaches. Letā€™s say: 90 / 95% exposure / immersion (plus a mix of output activities) - 10 / 5% grammar / translation.

In other words, thereā€™s a reason why, esp. in the West, there was a ā€œcommunicative turnā€ in language teaching / learning in the 1980s, and why the grammar-translation approach was shunned. We shouldnā€™t behave in the digital world as if this communicative turn didnā€™t happen in the analog world before :slight_smile:

1. ā€œwe can all gather anecdotal evidence of people failing with different methodsā€
    Itā€™s not simply ā€œanecdotalā€ evidence that grammar-translation or a grammar-first/grammar-heavy method fail in communicative situations. This has been a constant theme in second language acquisition (SLA) research since the 1970s, especially since Krashen.
    Again, this doesnā€™t rule out explicit grammar or translation exercises once and for all. It just means that the main focus should be on permanent and massive immersion/exposure (this, by the way, is also the main reason why bilingual teaching works so well in SLA in schools!).

2. Writing
    Duoā€™s main problem here is still its ā€œa-communicationā€ and ā€œa-contextualityā€.
    My point in this context is: Short deliberate practices on some topics of interest and relevance to a learner with (immediate) feedback from native speakers are far superior to Duoā€™s a-contextual and a-communicative grammar translation exercises.
    Co-textual information by embedding individual words in sentence structures isnā€™t enough because language learners need much more in oral and written communication, e.g. discourse markers / connectors, opening and closing structures, knowledge of the appropriate degree of formality / informality, etc.

As I said, take someone who has learned an L2 only with Duo (say after 12 months) and have them write a text of 10-15 sentences on any topic. The results will probably be pretty ā€œdepressingā€
Hm, thinking about it: My sister has been learning Spanish with Duo for more than two yearsā€¦ :slight_smile:

In short:
Deliberate writing practices are great if you have a concrete communication situation, enough context and almost immediate feedback by native speakers. This is exactly where Busuu shines and Duo fails!

1. Grammar
    "In short, by translating each sentence, you practice active output tackling several grammar and semantic aspects:
  • Syntaxis
  • Morphology
  • Collocations
  • Vocabulary
    Within A1-A2 level."

a) Are beginners using only Duoā€™s grammar translation exercises really able to understand, for example, the subjunctive in Romance languages like French or Spanish without massive immersion and/or excellent grammar explanations?
Iā€™m not sure, having already studied both Romance languages in university, but I really doubt it. Most would probably not even know what I mean by subjunctive :slight_smile:

b) In general: Grammar(-translation) drills without communication situations, context, relevant topics, discourse markers, native speaker feedback mechanisms, etc. are probably only of ā€œveryā€ limited use.

c) The a-contextuality / a-communication of Duoā€™s drill structures also has a negative effect on language learnersā€™ memory function, as itā€™s very difficult to remember things, esp. frequent collocations, without the contextual and communicative embedding.

1. Regarding the ā€œfunā€ part of language learning with Duo
    Despite reaching about 80000 XPs and getting all the awards that Duo 2019 had to offer, I was bored to death most of the time with all these a-contextual and a-communicative drills.
    So thereā€™s a triangle of learning death at play here:
  • no real sense of progress reg. the richness of the language itself
  • no fun
  • no thematic or intellectual interest
    What kept me going were mostly ā€œexternalā€ incentives, i.e. XPs and awards. And thatā€™s not a good thing in any learning environment.
    OK, I wasnā€™t a regular language learner in French and Spanish, but rather a tester. But thatā€™s another storyā€¦
  1. In sum
    Compared to Busuu, for example, Duolingo even fails as a complementary grammar-translation tool.
    Not to mention that the ā€œgrammar-translationā€ method shouldnā€™t be the first or only approach language learners use: As a stand-alone approach, it failed in the analog world decades ago, and it still fails in the digital world.
    But, the funny thing is: itā€™s one of the most prominent approaches in the world, esp. in non-Western countries, to this day. And Duolingo, as bad as it may be, only confirms that fact :slight_smile:

Have a nice day
Peter

An effective and motivating language app centered on gaining vocabulary through reading.