Is it possible to import ARTE documentary films and if so, how?

Hi there. There is a wealth of wonderful documentary films from ARTE, the Franco-German public media service and I was wondering if it’s possible to import their text and audio into Lingq? A number of these films are available in either French or German versions or both on YouTube. Even more are available through the ARTE website, though only using a VPN that makes the website think you’re in the country (i.e. they are geoblocked).

What method would one use to bring them into Lingq? Can one also bring in the subtitles? (The machine-generated subtitles often have errors, but if there would be a method to import them into some place where I could edit the text, I would be happy to correct it… As far as I’m concerned, it would be a useful form of playing with the language to listen and correct).

Finally, is importing this content and making it publicly available legal? Or should I keep it private?

[Musik]
0:15
kurkuma das gewürz in indien
0:20
die orange gelbe kurkuma wurzel ein hauptzutat von curry
0:27
angebaut 14 den bergen indiens frisch gekocht getrocknet als pulver
0:35
oder öl kurkuma ist in indien überall
0:40
als gewürz und als heilmittel als insektenschutz im haushalt oder als
0:46
natur farbstoff
…etc…
How does Lingq handle the fact that this transcript includes the timing of the text within the documentary? Would I have to edit it to remove these as well as to add capitalization and punctuation?

If you aren’t sure imported material is under copyright protection, it’s better to keep it private then.
Unfortunately, importing from ARTE isn’t possible at the moment.

1 Like

Sigh. Ok, thanks for the info. It’s motivating to produce material that others can also use, but if it can’t be done, it can’t be done I guess.

Hi, arte is a tv-channel sponsored by the French state and the German state. As every German household has to pay a monthly fee for watching and listening to public television and/ or radio (and/ or using devices which could connect to the internet) I would not recommend to publish their documentaries here.
But I recommend to use them privately to study languages! They are well made and show a lot about the culture of French and German speaking countries (and a bit of other European countries.)

2 Likes

You can use the lingq browser extension to import the video/subtitles. Like you point out though, these are not punctuated or capitilized properly so I’m guessing these are autogenerated subtitles. Ideally you find videos in which the channel provides real subtitles. The autogenerated ones you can use obviously, it’s just a little more annoying. I personally find them to annoying to use for LingQ purposes.

As others have mentioned, these shouldn’t be shared publicly. Agree though, it’s a great source!

zdf.de is a similar website that offers media content. If subtitles are available with a TV show I think LingQ importer extension can easily grab the lesson. Give it a try and see if it works for you.