NOS Jeudgjournaal 23 nov 2015: Kinderen die Isis heten

De afgelopen maanden was het al onrustig in Irak.

De terroristengroep IS wordt bekend onder een andere naam.

De extremisten noemen zich ISIS…

Wat vind je daarvan?

Ja, het is gewoon mijn naam en dan wordt het voor iets slechts gebruiken en dat is niet zo heel leuk.

Terreurorganisatie ISIS… dat wij ISIS willen beslaan… als je ISIS daar weg wilt vagen… ISIS wil nog verder zijn stempel drukken op de veroverde gebieden in Noord-Irak… ISIS is onze vijand…

Ik vind het eigenlijk een hele mooie naam en dus de naam van een Egyptische godin en eigenlijk vind ik het niet een goede naam voor iets slechts, een terreurgroep dus.

Deze Isis is niet de enige Isis die buiten de terroristen zichzelf zou noemen. We hebben een heleboel mailtjes gekregen van meisjes die zo heten. Met Jeugdjournaal zeggen wij geen ISIS meer, maar IS.

Isis uit Nieuw-Vennep wordt zelfs om haar naam gepest.

Hoi, ik ben Isis.

Hoi.

Ik vind het gewoon niet fijn dat mensen me pesten, zeg maar. Sommige mensen zeggen dan ook van: ‘Hallo IS’ of zo.

Ja, wat denk je dan?

Ben ik heel boos. Ik wilde bijna vechten zo boos was ik.

… en ik vind het heel erg want het is gewoon je naam en het is ook nog eens een hele mooie naam en dan vind ik niet dat je daarom gepest moet worden.

Meer meisjes heten Isis. In 2013 werden er in Nederland 161 kinderen zo genoemd.

Ik vind het een best wel mooie naam en ik vind het jammer dat mensen zeggen ISIS in plaats van IS.

Ik vind het niet tof dat kinderen die Isis heten om gepest moeten worden omdat er een terreurgroep is die zo heet.

IS of ISIS, niet iedereen is eruit. Sommige media en politici noemen de terroristengroep nog steeds ISIS.

Wat zou de kranten en programma’s eigenlijk moeten doen, vind je?

Dat ze gewoon IS in de kranten moeten schrijven.

En niet meer ISIS zeggen.

Nee.

Zodat we dus bij de naam Isis voortaan niet aan terroristen maar aan deze Isis en al die andere meisjes denken.

We know that names are simply tags for people or things, but the number of tags are practically limited, and the same tag might refer to different people or things. This might cause a lot of troubles in our everyday life. Moreover, some people even tend to feel illogically that people or things that share a certain tag have something in common.

The following is the result of Google Translate:
“We weten dat namen eenvoudigweg tags voor mensen of dingen zijn, maar het aantal tags is praktisch beperkt en dezelfde tag kan verwijzen naar verschillende mensen of dingen. Dit kan voor veel problemen zorgen in ons dagelijks leven.”

I don’t know how smart the program is in the from-English-to-Duch translation.

Yutaka wrote, "We know that names are simply tags for people or things, but the number of tags are practically limited, and the same tag might refer to different people or things. This might cause a lot of troubles in our everyday life. Moreover, some people even tend to feel illogically that people or things that share a certain tag have something in common.

The following is the result of Google Translate:
“We weten dat namen eenvoudigweg tags voor mensen of dingen zijn, maar het aantal tags is praktisch beperkt en dezelfde tag kan verwijzen naar verschillende mensen of dingen. Dit kan voor veel problemen zorgen in ons dagelijks leven.”

I don’t know how smart the program is in the from-English-to-Duch translation."

I guess in some limited capacity Google Translate can do an okay job, I don’t know. I may be proven wrong long after I’m dead, but I don’t think an artificial intelligence could, except in a very limited capacity, ever be programmed to do that, certainly not in our lifetime. The language algorithms (if that is even the correct term for it) appear to be too great.

But I’ll take that as a challenge. I would translate what you wrote as follows (but it would really take a native Dutch speaker who is good at reorganizing thoughts in English and then translating them into Dutch):

We weten wel dat namen alleen maar labels voor mensen en dingen zijn, maar dat het aantal labels praktisch gesproken relatief beperkt blijft. Een label kan dus verwijzen naar heel verschillende dingen of mensen. Dat kan voor veel problemen zorgen in ons leven. Bovendien denken sommige mensen dat dingen en mensen die hetzelfde label dragen iets met elkaar gemeen hebben. Volgens mij is dat niet logisch.

1 Like

I have had people, in the fantasy land called the internet, actually argue that the parents should “simply” change the child’s name to save the child from being teased or bullied, without apparently ever even considering the fact that the child has identified herself her entire life by that name. (Not to mention the legal ramifications of a name change.) Now, how ever many years later (they argue), the parents should “just” change the child’s name. Problem solved!

According to the Meertens Instituut, some 2571 girls in the Netherlands alone have the given name Isis. NVB - verspreiding voornaam Isis

It’s so easy for some person on the internet (who I would say has probably never thought much of anything through in their entire life) to say, “What do they expect with a name like that? All they need to do is change the child’s name and quit complaining about the teasing and the bullying. They can’t ask the media to start saying I.S. instead ISIS because, well, that’s just the way things are!” So, according to that logic, over 2500 girls in the Netherlands alone should just change their names and shut up because it’s pointless to even ask the media to change the terminology they use.

Can you imagine how that conversation would go? “Oh, we named you Isis when you were born, after the ancient Egyptian goddess, because we thought it was such a beautiful name. But now that there is a well-known terrorist group known as ISIS, we have decided that your name is not any good anymore and that we should start calling you something different so that you won’t have to be bullied in school anymore. How does Sophie sound?”

1 Like

Wikipedia describes “Isis” and “ISIS” as follows:
“Isis is a goddess from the polytheistic pantheon of Egypt.”
“ISIS refers to the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, a Salafi jihadist unrecognised proto-state and militant group.”

I found that there are a lot of things called “ISIS”.

One of them is Toyota Isis.

There is also a river in England called “The Isis”.
“‘The Isis’ is an alternative name for the River Thames, used from its source in the Cotswolds until it is joined by the Thame at Dorchester in Oxfordshire. It derives from the ancient name for the Thames, Tamesis, which in the Middle Ages was falsely assumed to be a combination of ‘Thame’ and ‘Isis’. Notably the Isis flows through the city of Oxford.”—Wikipedia

For my part, I feel that the pronunciations of Isis and iris are very similar, and both sounds are “sweet” to my ears. I would say to the bullies,“Isis is different from ISIS. Your are inexplicably stupid.”.

Off-topic memo.

“Give a dog a bad name and hang him.”
Or, “Give a dog a good name and love him.”
Naming is sometimes critically important, but I don’t know if this strategy always works. Many gangster groups in Japan have “good” names. But such good names do not make us to believe them.

(Editing.)

i can’t believe i can still understand parts of this without a dictionary i have not spoken or written in dutch since i was a kid

1 Like

Leuk.