What's difference between "Obsessional" and "Obsessive"?

I have confuse about these 2 words. I have translated them but they both have the same meaning in dictionary. Please make it be loud and clear for me.
Thanks.

I would not get too obsessed about the difference in meaning between these two words. The meanings are very similar.The meaning of words usually becomes clear to us through a significant amount of exposure. You know roughly what these words mean and you are probably not going to use these words very often. I would recommend to use the word ā€œobsessiveā€ in situations where you have to use the word. Meanwhile you can just continue with the idea that the words mean the same thing.

While the two words are very similar in meaning, ā€œobsessiveā€ is often used to describe a concern, a thought, an interest etc. ā€œObsessionalā€ is more often used to describe a person, who might be exhibiting a psychological problem or anxiety in connection with an obsessive concern or interest in something. However both words are interchangeable.

So I suggest that an obsessive concern with the differences in meaning between these two words is not recommended, otherwise you might be considered obsessional by some people.

1 Like

English has a lot and a lot of synonyms!..
Sometimes thereā€™s a little difference between them, but sometimes they are the same, for example:
resembling, similar, alike, like;
to stop, to cease, to end, to discotinue, to finish;
to postpone, to put off, to defer, to delay, to procrastinateā€¦
I discuss about it with English native speakers in my collections in the English library of Lingq: ā€˜English Grammar and Vocabularyā€™ and ā€˜Secrets of English wordsā€™. You can read them if you would like to.
In this case ā€˜obsessionalā€™= ā€˜obsessiveā€™ in the meaning: obsessional thoughts=obsessive thoughtsā€™
But ā€˜obsessiveā€™ has an addional meaning, like here:ā€™ She is obsessive about her clothes.ā€™

1 Like

Iā€™m a native English speaker. I didnā€™t even know ā€œobsessionalā€ was a word! How have I missed it?

Jingle, itā€™s OK. English has the longest dictionnry in the world - more than one million words!.. (Russian has 500,000; German 450,000 and French 400,000).
Itā€™s impossible to know all these words!..
And you neednā€™t to do it because we usually use in all our life not more than 10,000 words (and repeat them of course).

I would never use obsessional. My first thought was, ā€œThat isnā€™t a word.ā€ Apparently it is. Still, Iā€™d never use it.

1 Like

Thanks, Evgueny. :slight_smile: Makes me wonder, though, where an English learner is coming across itā€¦

Iā€™d never heard of ā€œobessionalā€ until now, too. To the OP, I would recommend not using that word since native speakers would be like, ā€œyou ainā€™t around these parts are you?ā€ and look at you funny!

Thanks everyone for giving feedback to me. You guys know, when I am interested in some new vocabulary, I will find out any kind of that word. For example, I have seen or heard the word ā€œobsessā€ in the content that I read and listen to. So I will find the noun, adjective and abverb kinds of that word. And so! I saw those 2 words have the same meaning in the oxford dictionaryā€¦

Donā€™t worry, I always study new vocabulary by remember and repeat the whole phrase or sentence, not individual word. Again, thanks everybody!

Ohhhā€¦That explains it! Happy dictionary reading, quang! :wink:

1 Like