Site update on December 18, 2013
alex 1705 656 31848
Thanks for your patience during this update. We ran into some unexpected issues with some of the servers and things ended up taking a bit longer than we hoped, but the site is now up and running! Here are the full details:
(see post with images here: http://lingqcentral-en.lingq.com/major-updates-... )

---------
We’ve been working hard for the past several months and are excited to show you what we’ve been up to! One of the first things you’ll notice is the updated design. We’ve taken the avatar background and national buildings from all of our languages and put them together in the new background. The menu has been neatly integrated into this colourful and fun background. But that’s just the beginning… Let’s take a closer look at what else is new:

Learn Page

The Learn page now features a cleaner interface where you can see your Courses and select new ones. In addition, we have moved Timeline notifications up to the header that can now be accessed from any page. One of our primary goals with this update was to improve the experience for brand new LingQ members, and we feel confident that we have achieved this with the new simplified Learn page and the guided tour.

Lesson Page

The Lesson page is arguably one of the most important pages on the site, and as such we wanted to make sure any updates enhanced both the interface and the functionality for new and existing members.

We wanted to make the interface more pleasant which we did by updating the typeface, improving the image and streamlining the controls. A cleaner look and feel, particularly on the yellow LingQ pane, are quickly noticeable in the update.

Dictionaries and resources have been moved into a dropdown and now pop up overtop of the LingQ pane. The dictionary window is now independent from the Dashboard, meaning it can be moved to anywhere on the page and can also be expanded to fit your screen.

Lastly, an Avatar progress bar has been added to the bottom of the Lesson page, so you can watch your Avatar grow as you add LingQs and Known Words.

Gamification

Language learning isn’t something that comes easily to most of us, and many of us often struggle with staying motivated. That’s why we’ve made it one of our focuses to ensure members stay motivated while using LingQ. Avatar credits have been converted to Avatar coins, and the prices in the Avatar Store have been updated accordingly. The new prices now follow a more natural progression, with prices escalating as you continue progressing.

The new Avatar progress bar on the Lesson page offers instant feedback for activities on the site. Each Known Word helps you on your way to the next Avatar level. Each LingQ you create gets you closer to earning an Avatar coin which can be used to purchase items in the Avatar Store.

With these new changes, it will be easier for us to add new items and outfits to the Avatar Store for purchase, ensuring everyone from beginner to advanced will have something to work towards!

Exchange

The Exchange was launched just six months ago, and since then we’ve seen hundreds of requests made for various tutoring services. With requests being the key activity on the Exchange page, we now show these in the main part of the page and show all other activities to the right side of the page. To create room for this, we moved the filters to the top and show them as a sentence (click on the blue words to change filters), and merged all rankings into one section.

Thank you all for using LingQ! We hope you love the new site as much as we do!
December 2013
  • DentonJohn 8797
    WOW, it looks much better now ! thanks a lot !!!
    December 2013
  • jolanda 37805 23820 13845
    naked avatars!!! they tell me" error" when I try to bay some clothes
    December 2013
    alex 1705 656 31848
    @spatterson, jolanda - All the avatars got reset to make way for the new coins ;) If you run into any errors in the Avatar Store just refresh the page and that should help!
    December 2013
  • Wulfgar 19573 8738 26966
    @alex
    1) I'm unable to archive lessons that I've finished. I tried to do it the old way, and also tried the new archive button.
    2) When I import a new lesson, there's no message that it was saved
    December 2013
  • LFJ 2250 10173 14565
    @jolanda

Your English avatar appears fully clothed to me when I visit your profile page. So it seems to have worked, if you repurchased the clothing. But the language selection drop-down in the progress section below it doesn't work. So I can't see the others.
    December 2013
  • LFJ 2250 10173 14565
    @spatterson

I still have both an Edit and Delete button on my posts... Bearbeiten und Löschen, anyway.
    December 2013
  • mikebond 15050 111 10881
    Although I was hoping the announced new language rules would be made official with this update, I like pretty much everything you have done.
    I only have an issue with Chinese, Japanese and Korean being displayed in my language dropdown list. I cannot delete them from the Account page (because I had already done so shortly after trying them out).
    Anyway, good job! I'm particularly happy about the new appearance of the Exchange page.
    December 2013
    alex 1705 656 31848
    @all - We're off to bed for now here at LingQ HQ (it just passed midnight) but keep the comments and feedback coming and we will respond to everything in the morning!
    December 2013
  • Elliott 23889 35669 1052
    "See more at..." has returned to haunt the hint field when definitions are copied in from the default dictionary.

EDIT: As before, this only seems to affect longer hints.
    December 2013
  • LFJ 2250 10173 14565
    @spatterson

Oh, I thought you said "why don't we have". I thought we always did...
    December 2013
  • evgueny40 69491 5560 13408
    @Alex
    THe site looks like a very interesting now.
    But Alex, before I could see by opening every language on the left all my post of different people who sent me their roses or who asked me about something.
    Now I can't see my post.
    Maybe it is now in the different place?
    December 2013
    And one more question:
    I would like to repeat new words, but flashcards and other functions with vocabulary don't work.
    December 2013
    Instructions for keyboard shortcuts (e.g. K and X) no longer seem to be displayed on the dashboard to the right, though the shortcuts themselves still function.

December 2013
    @spatterson: "interesting. why do we have a "delete" button on our posts? Hmm.. what member would have requested that I wonder - See more at: http://www.lingq.com/forum/3/21873/?page=1#post..."

We have them to be able to delete the posts we wrote in response to Kimo's posts that are now blank, so that our replies make no sense. I have just deleted a few of my forum posts in which I was referring to no longer existing posts.
    December 2013
    Yes, please bring the instructions for keyboard shortcuts back!
    December 2013
  • @Alex Now I can not play the lesson. What's the problems?
    December 2013
  • DavidClarke 8712 1891 13127
    Oh my, all my avatars are naked too. Do I need to buy new clothes for all of them again? It's a lot of work for all my languages... Apart from that some pieces are more expensive now and I can't buy the same clothes I had before.

Apart from that I can't play any recordings, the play/pause buttons don't work.
    December 2013
    Auto scrolling is not presently occurring when moving via shortcut from an unknown word to a lingq or vice versa. It still takes place when going from unknown word to unknown word or from lingq to lingq.

Might it be left to the user to decide whether the avatar progress bar is displayed? If given the option, I would be inclined to relegate the little blue fellow and his lingqcoins to the dashboard.
    December 2013
  • esko_yera 12609 15077
    I like the new look

Cuple of ploblems:
    - Naked avatars
    - "Flash cards" not working
    - "Advance options" for the library not opening.

December 2013
    Ress 32873 46812 12941
    Are the recommended lessons gone? I cannot find it now. Is there any way to find a new lesson once it's just added to an old course?

Update: The Library is still in place. I never used that page before :)
    December 2013
    ColinJohnstonov 51559 7603 179
    The update to the lesson page looks great. There are of course still a lot of technical problems, but I am sure the tech guys will zap those soon. Here are two initial comments:

1. When I go to the 'learn page', I do not see any courses. The big box that seems to be set aside for the courses is empty. When I click on "+New Course", I just get a big blank box with 'Choose a course' written at the top left and a list of levels in a box at the top right. I think the idea of making this page simpler is a good one, but I am guessing that it was not meant to be so simple.

2. Comment 1 was just a techincal issue I am sure. I also have a comment on a design issue for the reading interface. The new reading interface looks like a good improvement, though I will need time to get used to the new colour schemes and whatnot. One thing that I don't like about the new design is the fact that the pokemon is put at the bottom of the text. I don't care at all about the pokemon, I don't ever want to know how many coins I have or how close my pokemon is to leveling up, and I certainly don't want it taking up three lines of text when I am trying to read something interesting.

Anyway, good job and thanks for the update.
    December 2013
    I agree with ColinJohnstone about the pokemon. It takes up valuable reading space. I would prefer it be moved, or have the option to turn it off.
    December 2013
    I agee with Wulfgar! It could be moved to the bottom of the dashboard.
    December 2013
    Ress 32873 46812 12941
    Is it not possible to open a next lesson in the course??? Does it mean I need to open the course and find the next lesson manually???
    December 2013
  • _MissTake_ 8090 22847 20386
    Bon courage !

- All is very slow.I hope it will be better soon.

- There is also a lack of synchronisation for the dictionaries: when I open a dictionary it does not take into account the term I am studying but a word previously viewed.
    December 2013
  • Radko 5355 10157 215
    "voice button" is not working :/ btw. maybe it would be nice to have keyboard shortcut for "voice button".
    December 2013
    Yes, I noticed the same as spatterson. There is a lack of contrast in the reading interface. The constrast used to be great. Maybe it will just take time to get used to.

I also find the background image distracting.
    December 2013
  • Alenika 21468 493
    I also find the background image distracting. it is bad for my eyes
    December 2013
  • Ezechiele 4416 54 3380
    Nice work :D
    December 2013
  • juanchipants 0 8889 1290
    flaschcards aren't working
    December 2013
  • pmilone 24985
    Flashcards are working with Chrome
    December 2013
  • m_essam 7493 12423
    it's a nice update to me (except for avatar points issue :D) .. it's spectacular , especially the certificate it really is fabulous .. the new colors and the background are nice as well .. good job :)
    December 2013
  • Administrator
    mark 33346 3879 2042
    @jolanda - Thanks, we'll get that fixed.

*Flashcards seem to be working fine for us. Which browser are you using? Have you tried ctrl+refreshing the page you are on a few times to clear you cache?
    *Not everyone is going to like our new design. We feel it makes the site more fun and pleasant but to each his own.
    *The next lesson link is in the info pane but only appears after you have clicked the "Move all words to known" button. We will find a better place for it.
    *There is an issue right now with text to speech. We are working on it.
    December 2013
  • [[Learntofluency]] 0 0
    What happened with the other languages like Romanian?
    December 2013
    Thanks for the hint about the Next Lesson link, Mark. I would have never found it...
    December 2013
  • scoreperfect 9966 12787 475
    @Radko "maybe it would be nice to have keyboard shortcut for "voice button"
    I"ve always thought this too - I like to do everything with my hands on the keyboard and leaving to go to the mouse breaks my flow ;). Actually, I believe not only the voice button, but the repeat-back button should both have keyboard shortcuts.

The new look is incredibly bright and cheery - things are moving ahead and glitches will certainly be addressed. This is how it should be. It's great to see LingQ moving on with new looks and new ideas. Of course, opinions vary and you certainly can't please everyone, but I think this is a big jump forward. Congratulations Team-LingQ!

Daniel Léo Simpson
    Composer
    San Francisco
    December 2013
  • TroisRoyaumes 48976 5511 8180
    The new design of the lesson page (where we do the linkqing) is really awful, at least as appeared on Firefox. The old interface is so much better. This is the most important page for me; other pages such as exchange and forum are all secondary. I have been using this system quite intensively until yesterday. Now I have lost all appetite to use the system.
    December 2013
  • Administrator
    mark 33346 3879 2042
    We do apologize for these issues. We encountered an unexpected bug somewhere between our operating system and server configuration that we were not able to find a solution for yesterday so we had to resort to a backup configuration that is not optimal. We are continuing to troubleshoot and hope to have these issues resolved soon. A lot of the issues that are coming up are a result of this backup configuration. Please continue to report any issues you find.

@jolanda - There is an error in the avatar store if you are trying to buy clothes for an outfit that is not your currently selected outfit. We will get this fixed but if you refresh the page, you will see that the clothes are actually being bought.
    @ColinJohnstone - Are you seeing courses now. Things were a bit slow initially but should be working now.
    @Ress - Recommended lessons are gone but if you click on "+New Courses" you will find recommended courses.
    @esko-yera - You should be able to use flashcards. Try refreshing the page a few times. Advanced options in the Library work for me. Please ctrl+refresh and try again.
    @elliott - Auto-scroll seems fine to me. You can turn it on or off using the gear control in the top right of the reading pane.

Sorry, if I missed responding to any questions. We are fixing all issues and hope to have more updates soon.
    December 2013
  • ch0m31 312 15
    I like the new look!
    December 2013
  • [[GamblingDementor]] 1685 455 7906
    Weren't some languages in beta deleted?
    December 2013
    keke_eo 15444 5534 9473
    Love the new look and new changes. Much fresher and modern. The most important reading page looks and works very smoothly for me. Well done guys!
    December 2013
    Ress 32873 46812 12941
    It was more or less possible to read lessons and operate with words and lingqs on android smartphone. The new version is less comfortable on smartphone because it nedds to be scrolled to read every text line. And I did not find the right panel with the word translation.
    December 2013
  • _MissTake_ 8090 22847 20386
    mark
    "The next lesson link is in the info pane but only appears after you have clicked the "Move all words to known" button. We will find a better place for it. "

Often, principally with story in multiple episods, i don't study all the words of a lesson and don't want to "Move all words to known". How will I be able to access quickly the next lesson of the story ?
    December 2013
  • cgreen0038 11218 225 0
    FYI, I cleared my browser's cache because some pages didn't appear to be loading completely. After restarting Firefox, I browsed to www.lingq.com and clicked the login button and got a '502 Bad Gateway' error. I tried refreshing as well as restarting Firefox again and received the same error each time after clicking on the login link. I was able to log in by going to the "Learn" page I had saved in my favorites (www.lingq.com/learn/ja/welcome/) which then prompted me to login.

"nginx/1.1.19" was the only other text in the error if you need to know that.
    December 2013
    alex 1705 656 31848
    @xuedaolao - Playlists seem to be showing properly in both the Library and the My Lessons section. Are you still having issues with this?

@GamblingDementor - Beta languages weren't deleted, but they have been hidden from the language dropdown. They can still be accessed by typing the appropriate URL into the address bar, and we have other updates planned related to new languages.

@Ress - We are making some updates to the Android and iOS apps that should make them better to use. We will also continue to make improvements for the mobile site performance as we move forward.

@_MissTake_ - As Mark mentioned, we're looking at placing this link in a more prominent place :)

@all - By the way, thanks to those of you who have had positive comments regarding the new update. The tendency after updates is to make sure everything is working properly and acknowledge any issues reported by members, but we really appreciate the positive comments regarding the new design and the new features that we've been working on for the past 6 months!
    December 2013
    alex 1705 656 31848
    @cgreen0038 - Would you be able to try logging in again in Firefox? The issue would have likely been with https pages only, but it should hopefully be working properly now. Let us know if this is still an issue.
    December 2013
  • RedExodus 3124
    I can't load my lessons on iPhone5 LingQ. The play button doesn't work anymore on Chrome for some reason.
    December 2013
  • Polk00 10350
    Opera & Chrome - Now video doesn't work in lessons (that have video)
    I tried to add new lesson and can't find to fill "category" and "type", and can't share lesson.
    December 2013
  • cgreen0038 11218 225 0
    @alex - I just logged out and logged back in using the login link on www.lingq.com. I did not get a 502 error this time. Thanks!
    December 2013
    alex 1705 656 31848
    @RedExodus - We're aware of the issue with audio and hope to have it fixed soon!

@Polk00 - Category and Type have been replaced by tags, so you can instead just enter tags for the lesson instead. The video seems to be showing properly for lessons that have a video: http://www.lingq.com/learn/fr/workdesk/item/447...

@cgreen0038 - Great, glad to hear it!
    December 2013
  • kcb 351 80238 0
    I can't find anything I don't like about the update. I particularly like the design changes. Also the percentage to next level at the bottom of the lesson is a great little addition. Well done!
    December 2013
  • antom 30935 7 431
    I also like the design and the % to growth view. The certificate is cool too! I had never thought of that...
    I am able to read and listen so the period of fixing glitches does not interrupt my progress!

Keep it up, LingQ!! :-)
    December 2013
  • scoreperfect 9966 12787 475
    I like the new bigger picture icons and how they show up now as rounded on the story page. And it's kind of exciting seeing the features come back to life - "Oh look, audio working now on the story page - oh, text to speech not yet" haha. A week before Christmas - this will be a great story for Alex and Mark down the road, "Hey remember Christmas 2013 when we went live with the new format and everything broke and hit the fan?" LOL ;). But here they are answering everyone's question while trying frantically to fix everything at the same time - a week before Christmas. You've got to respect that effort - it's all gonna be great - I already know...
    Daniel Léo Simpson
    Composer
    San Francisco
    December 2013
  • LFJ 2250 10173 14565
    What is the "certificate" people are talking about?
    December 2013
    Ress 32873 46812 12941
    @LFJ, there is a link on the avatar picture.
    December 2013
  • [[Ginkgo58]] 376 100585 144
    I can open the flashcard pop-up but I do not get any words appearing in my flashcards.
    December 2013
    I've pressed F5 to refresh the site and I've received flashcards with the words.
    However, I can't hear them like it was before.
    December 2013
  • Polk00 10350
    1) A video of lessons is working now
    2) I see the field "tags", but I can't change it.
    3) I can't share my private lesson, button just doesn't work.

""""
    Alex - Category and Type have been replaced by tags, so you can instead just enter tags for the lesson instead.
    """"
    December 2013
    In the Import page, I see "Tags" with no field below, then "Description" with its usual field. What's wrong?
    December 2013
  • snorrews 5468 27837 9226
    Notification -> "50 LingQs" -> "Invalid input parameters: lotd_date Select a valid choice. 2013-12-19 is not one of the available choices."

Just to report a bug.
    December 2013
    @ mark

I am seeing the courses on the learn page now (by learn page, I mean the one you get to when you click on 'learn'). This page was a real mess before the update but looks much better now.
    December 2013
  • Administrator
    mark 33346 3879 2042
    The iPhone app should be working now. If it's not working close it and try opening it again.
    December 2013
    Another little bug: when I click on the pencil next to a hint or Google Translate in order to create the last LingQ of a lesson, the LingQ-creating window doesn't appear. Instead, the lesson information window ("i") is immediately displayed. So, I need to click again on the new LingQ to edit it. Quite bothering... I hope you can easily fix this.
    December 2013
  • Administrator
    mark 33346 3879 2042
    You can still find playlists in the Library. We plan on converting all playlists into courses (or, at least, calling all shared playlists courses) so that they, too, will start to show on the Learn page and in the New Courses popup.

@snorrews - Are you seeing this error when you click on your LingQs notification?

@Michele - The tags issue is a strange one. There should be a field there which exists on our test server but not here. We are looking into it.

@Evgueny - Text to speech is still not working.

@Gingko - Try refreshing the page on which you are trying to open flashcards. Hit ctrl+refresh or f5. Also, make sure you don't have the Reverse button clicked on.

@scoreperfect, kcb, Anton - Thanks for the encouragement! Yes, it's been a hectic few days for sure and we will undoubtedly remember it. Christmas gifts may be a little sparse this year for our families if the dust doesn't settle soon! Glad to hear you like the changes. More good stuff to come in the new year!
    December 2013
  • snorrews 5468 27837 9226
    Yes, when I clicked the red/grey box on the top right. Now, I don't get the error message anymore, but nothing happens when I press "flashcards". Thanks for looking into it.
    December 2013
    The words appear on flashcards in Google Chrome, but not in the latest version of firefox.
    December 2013
    This hasn't been resolved:
    2) When I import a new lesson, there's no message that it was saved
    December 2013
    That's true. However, you know that the lesson has been added if the list of lessons belonging to the course reappears on the right and you can see your new lesson at the end of the list. Anyway, it would be better to have the usual message back.
    December 2013
  • Pablo_Barrett 27912 2161 2206
    Maybe I'm totally missing it, but I can't find an option at the bottom of the screen in any given lesson to open the next lesson in the sequence. Before the recent updates you could read through your lesson and then click a button labeled, open next lesson in course or whatever, then it would take you to the next lesson in the sequence. Now, I have to back the course and then fish through the lessons to get to the next lesson in the course. ???
    December 2013
  • [[donhamiltontx]] 18662 45031 7145
    @Pablo
    The missing Next Lesson button is a known issue. I can't find the thread, but I know it's on the developers' bug list.
    Actually, the button does show up, but only on the Dashboard, and only if you have followed a certain sequence.
    December 2013
  • Administrator
    mark 33346 3879 2042
    @Pablo - If you click the I know all button you will see the next lesson link in the dashboard pane. Otherwise, we should shortly be adding a link to the next lesson in the gear dropdown on the lesson page.
    December 2013
  • Administrator
    mark 33346 3879 2042
    You can now find the Open next lesson link in the Gear dropdown on the lesson page as well. Make sure to reload the page.

We have also fixed all audio related issues. The audio player should be working in all browsers as should text to speech in the dashboard for words and phrases
    December 2013
  • pmilone 24985
    Nice!
    December 2013
    Much better now but I found two more problems, on the website my level is Advanced 1 and on the certificate it shows Intermediate 2. It always underrates one level. The other problem is in the lesson view, when you are on the top and try to move the window scrollbar by hand it goes back to the top again.
    December 2013
  • eugrus 17101 40708 1
    I've noticed that the old problem, with the page jumping up so that the selected lingq falls out of the visual field once the lingq editing wigdet is opened, is now back.
    December 2013
  • kcb 351 80238 0
    @langadmirer I think somewhere Alex explained about that. In the US a kindergarten child doesn't get the I completed kindergarten certificate until they finish kindergarten :P
    December 2013
    I have thought about this issue since it was explained and I think there is an inconsistency. When I look at my Pokemon, it says my level is Advanced 2. It should say Advanced 1 based on this reasoning. You don't call yourself a C2 in a language the day you pass your C1 exam and start studying for the C2 exam.
    December 2013
    ...unless you are Benny, in which case you call yourself a C2 the moment you are able to order a water in a restaurant using a phrase you read in your Lonely Planet phrasebook a few minutes earlier.
    December 2013
  • mikebooks 15818
    I think the level on the certificate shows the "Grade" you have passed/achieved. The level shown before you link to the certificate is the Grade you are currently trying to pass. Kind of like a student who is currently in first year university (would have a high school diploma but not yet his/her university degree)

M
    December 2013
  • Administrator
    mark 33346 3879 2042
    @Wulfgar - Success notifications like when you import a lesson or post on the forum have changed. They are no longer a big green banner on the page, they are now less conspicuous and sit on top of the page briefly before disappearing.

Regarding the certificate, it shows the level you most recently completed. Once you complete a level you move on to the next one. Once you complete that level you will see your certificate for that level.
    December 2013
    Okay, following this reasoning how could I possibly get the Advanced 2 certificate if there's nothing more to study after that? :) Anyway, it's not a big problem if it was done intentionally, I just thought it's an error.

Please solve the problem of using the scrollbar in Chrome, because I hate using the arrows, and the page up/down is scrolling too much. In Firefox it's okay. Or it's only me having this problem?

Since Friday there's another problem, when you change word's (lingq's) status from New to Can't remember, Not sure or Known, it doesn't change it's colour instantly, you have to refresh the page to see the change. Both in Chrome and in Firefox.
    December 2013
  • kcb 351 80238 0
    @langadmirer There must be a hidden milestone for advanced 2 because I have an advanced 2 certificate in Spanish. According to the avatar pic on the Learn page I'm "Level: Advanced 6"...
    December 2013
  • Administrator
    mark 33346 3879 2042
    @langadmirer - I'm not sure what the issue is with the scroll bar. I don't seem to have any issues there. Is anyone else having this problem? Is your version of Chrome up to date? Which operating system are you on? Thanks for reporting the issue with the status not changing colour immediately. In fact, it looks like if you change a word's status a second time it starts to work properly. We will look into this.

@kcb - We have made a change which allows you to keep increasing your level past advanced 2 so that you never run out of milestones. Thanks for pointing out that the certificates need to be adjusted to match these new levels.
    December 2013
  • btotheb 1436 381 109
    I like it, for me so far so good :)
    December 2013
    @mark it's happening on win XP, I just checked it on win 7 and works good, so I think it may by win XP related. The Chrome version is up to date. Thanks
    December 2013
  • KyuRo 20065 2923 7
    The player doesn't work in Opera browser.
    December 2013
  • Administrator
    mark 33346 3879 2042
    @langadmirer - If you're on XP, you are using IE 8 or 9 I assume and there are issues on both of those browsers. We don't know when we will be able to fix those issues and we recommend using Chrome or Firefox instead.

@KyuRo - Sorry, but Opera is not a supported browser on the site. If the audio is not working in Opera, try either Chrome or Firefox.
    December 2013
  • LFJ 2250 10173 14565
    Chrome FTW!
    December 2013
    alex 1705 656 31848
    @eugrus - Would you be able to provide a screencast of this? I don't know that I remember this issue.
    December 2013
    @mark: no, I haven't been using IE for the last 15 years :) It's happening in Chrome as I've written before. And the version is up to date.

Edit: Okay, I found the problem, it doesn't depend on the OS. Because I use it on my 12" laptop I increased the size of screen font by pressing ctrl and +, and then it happens, you can have a look.
    December 2013
  • KyuRo 20065 2923 7
    @Mark: Thank you for your reply. Well it WAS supported until this update. It is true that, at the previous update, it took few days to work on Opera, but it did. If it did work before, I assume it is possible to work now.
    December 2013
  • Administrator
    mark 33346 3879 2042
    @KyuRo - It is possible that Opera itself will make changes that will cause the player to start working. The player is a third party component that is used by other sites as well. Otherwise, we have never tested or done things specifically for Opera but if we get some time, we may be able to spend time on getting things going for Opera or IE 8 and 9.
    December 2013
    alex 1705 656 31848
    @langadmirer - Ah, that might explain it. The zoom function can sometimes break the layout of a page. In the meantime I would recommend that you keep it at 100% zoom when possible in order to avoid any layout issues.

@KyuRo - Actually, what Mark means is that Opera is not a browser that we officially support. It may work, but if there is an issue in Opera that doesn't exist in the browsers we do officially develop for (Firefox 4+, Chrome, Safari and IE 10+) then we aren't able to spend time fixing that Opera-specific issue. It is possible that any issues in Opera may be resolved with future updates, but this would only be the byproduct of fixes or updates for other browsers.
    December 2013
    @alex: okay but what should I do if the default font is to small for a small screen? Don't tell me to buy a bigger laptop :) It's okay for just browsing but here we're stuck for longer. After reading for some time my eyes are hurting with your default, small font size. The old website was okay, even if I increased the font size nothing was happening. Maybe you would be able to give us an option for changing the text size, maybe something on JavaScript like in some Joomla templates. Pls.
    December 2013
  • cgreen0038 11218 225 0
    I think I found another bug. The bug happens when creating a LingQ and I click the search dictionary option but then decide to use a user created hint instead. When I click the user created LingQ, the hint field is filled in but with extra text on the end such as "Used 3 times" along with several spaces. This only happens for me when I select a user hint after clicking on the search dictionary option. User hints selected before then are added normally.
    December 2013
  • Administrator
    mark 33346 3879 2042
    @cgreen - I see that in Firefox but not Chrome. Thanks for pointing it out. I will add it to the list.

@langadmirer - Yes, we should add a font size control. We will try to do that sooner rather than later.
    December 2013
  • cgreen0038 11218 225 0
    Yes, I am using Firefox 26.0. Forgot to mention that detail. Thanks for looking into it.
    December 2013
  • KyuRo 20065 2923 7
    @Mark & Alex: Thank you for taking the time to reply in detail.

@ all LingQ members and Staff: Merry Christmas!
    December 2013
  • Administrator
    mark 33346 3879 2042
    @cgreen - The issue with user hints in FF is now fixed.
    December 2013
  • cgreen0038 11218 225 0
    @mark - I just noticed that a little bit ago. I wasn't expecting such a quick turnaround with the holidays and all. Thanks and happy holidays!
    December 2013
    @mark - finally saw "content created" for the first time today when I imported a lesson. Thanks.

Regarding the pokemon (see ColinJohnstone's post on page 1 of this thread) - now it is not only taking up my valuable reading space, but it's causing some issues. First, when I scroll, I usually read a whole page and click in the bottom of the scroll bar, which makes it advance a whole page in one click. If I try to do this now, it advances too much, since the last couple lines are covered by the pokemon. So I'm limited to rolling scrolling. Second, the pokemon didn't stay on the bottom of a lesson I used recently. It moved up with the text on the last page as I scrolled down, so there were a couple of lines I wasn't able to read.

Regarding "my lessons" - the right hand side is now a big blank space; the lessons used to be listed here. Now the lessons start below all the stuff on the left hand side, so I have to scroll down to see them.

Regarding the "right hand page" in the work desk - the last update I complained about having to super-size the window in order to get to the button to minimize it, and you guys fixed it. Now it needs to be super sized again.

fyi - I'm running Safari
    December 2013
    On 20 December, I wrote:

"Another little bug: when I click on the pencil next to a hint or Google Translate in order to create the last LingQ of a lesson, the LingQ-creating window doesn't appear. Instead, the lesson information window ("i") is immediately displayed. So, I need to click again on the new LingQ to edit it. Quite bothering... I hope you can easily fix this."

This error is still occurring to me, even if I create the last hint by clicking on "Search Dictionary". I hope it can be fixed soon, because it's quite annoying.
    December 2013
  • mfr 0 1588 715
    @alex and @mark

Two features I'd like to have in Lingq:
    1. When you create a lingq, it would be great to be able to drag and drop a dictionary definition or translation into the Hint text field; it is very time consuming and quite boring to have to write it or copy and paste it. I use Firefox and it usually allows dragging text into form/search fields, but in this particular situation it is not possible.

2. Can you include the name of the Provider in the list of courses that you get when you choose a language in the drop-down menu?, for example, if I choose German: http://www.lingq.com/learn/de/welcome/
    As it is now, you have to open the course, open one lesson, and click on i to get that information.
    The same happens if you click on New Course, there's no reference to the Provider.
    I know I can go to the Library and then use a filter, but then, what is the difference between the Learn page and the Library in terms of content and purpose? But even with different purpose, I'd like to have the name of the Provider there.
    December 2013
    alex 1705 656 31848
    @eugrus - Great, thanks for the screencast. We'll do some more testing and see if we can figure out what is causing this.

@Wulfgar - We're looking at making some additional adjustments to the reading interface which should hopefully improve this.
    I'm not sure I quite understand what you mean about "my lessons". Would you be able to send over a screenshot to support (at) lingq.com so we might have a better idea of what is causing this? A screenshot would also help for the third issue you report, as I'm not sure I recall what the original issue was.

@mikebond - Thanks, we should have a fix for this soon!
    December 2013
    • eugrus ru Russian Federation 17101 40708 1
      I have not experienced this problem for a while, but now it's back again.

Screencast: http://www.screencast.com/users/eugrus/folders/...
      Browser console log: http://pastebin.com/XnSMQgTF
      Environment: Chrome 39, Windows 8.1 x64
      November 2014
        alex ca Canada 1705 656 31848
        Thanks Eugrus, I've passed this on to our development team now. We've had a few reports of this lately, but this is the first screencast we've seen of the issue. I'll let you know if we need any additional information!
        November 2014
        Eugrus, just a quick update on this. We spent some time looking into this and updated a related JavaScript library that we thought might fix this, but in the end nothing seemed to work. It looks to be an issue with one of the libraries that we're using, so for now we've switched Lingvo to open in a popup as this will prevent it from jumping around.
        December 2014
          However it is still jumping around for me. Do you need additional input from my side?
          March 2015
          Maybe there is some certain script on the Lingvo website which is causing this (when meating your JS-library) and that I could simply block from my side?
          March 2015
            Yup, that looks like the cause. Should be fixed now, so let us know if this is still giving you trouble!
            March 2015
  • dfranks 12553
    On 27th December mfr wrote:
    "When you create a lingq, it would be great to be able to drag and drop a dictionary definition or translation into the Hint text field; it is very time consuming and quite boring to have to write it or copy and paste it. I use Firefox and it usually allows dragging text into form/search fields, but in this particular situation it is not possible."

This is a brilliant idea and would make the dictionary easier and more enjoyable to use. Can this be done, Mark or Alex?

I also have 2 personal requests:

1. Please provide a dropdown list of recenty opened lessons on the home screen.

2. When clicking on a blue word the right hand pane shows the click boxes 'Search dictionary', 'I know this word', 'Ignore this word' underneath the user hints.Whilst advancing through the blue words these boxes can shift up and down if the number of hints changes. When clicking on the same box repeatedly it is sometimes possible to click on a user hint by mistake.
    I would like these boxes placed above the user hints or target word so that they do not move about.
    December 2013
    I found two more problems, the coins you earn by adding lingq's are disappearing constantly. When I finish a lesson having 40 coins displayed on the bar, I open the next one and there is 39 or 38 coins showing there. Yesterday I've lost 9 coins in total.

Apart from that when I open a lesson and leave it for some time, half an hour for example, and then try to play the recording, it stops after 20-45 seconds and I have to refresh the lesson.
    December 2013
    List of recently-opened letters on the home screen.

Yes please! I only get a list of courses, not lessons I have been working on.
    December 2013
  • Administrator
    mark 33346 3879 2042
    @dfranks & Gingko - The last 3 lessons are shown in the Tasks dropdown which is accessible from every page. Also, you can always click on the My Lessons in the Learn dropdown to see all your recently opened lessons.

@langadmirer - The counter on the page does seem to be acting strangely. Thanks for pointing that out. We'll get that fixed.
    December 2013
  • Administrator
    mark 33346 3879 2042
    @dfranks - Regarding the placement of the buttons, we are unlikely to change this. At least not in the short term. I recommend getting used to using keyboard shortcuts for Known (k) and Ignore (x). We will be bringing back the list of shortcuts soon so that you can know which are available.

We will also look into whether dragging and dropping in Firefox can be re-enabled. This has not been possible in Chrome for a long time but was in Firefox previously.
    December 2013
    @alex "I'm not sure I quite understand what you mean about "my lessons". Would you be able to send over a screenshot to support (at) lingq.com so we might have a better idea of what is causing this? A screenshot would also help for the third issue you report, as I'm not sure I recall what the original issue was."

"My Lessons" is in the drop-down under "Learn". I have sent you screenshots. It turns out that if I use a big window, the lessons drop below as shown in the screenshot.

Regarding the other issue, I have to make the window really big in order to access the button that reduces the RH side. Please see the screenshots.
    December 2013
  • eugrus 17101 40708 1
    @alex

> @eugrus - Great, thanks for the screencast. We'll do some more testing and see if we can figure out what is causing this.

I would add that bigger the text is, more lines this jump would take. It also seems like it just happens when a certain lingq is about in the middle of the text.
    December 2013
    Ress 32873 46812 12941
    I cannot understand the logic when the Notifications icon gets red. Some times a day it displays digits on red backgroud. When I click the icon I can see the same list I've already seen. Sometimes I can see 1 new message but the icon may display any digit greater than 1. It looks like it lives it's own random life :)
    December 2013
  • spatterson 3636
    Also, in regards to the notification popup, there's not really a good way to go to the post someone sent a rose to or responded to. I would expect to see a link "click here to go to the post" but all you get is a respond button. Most of the time I don't want to respond... but I have to click that button anyway to see the post. And even then it only shows the one post - not the whole conversation. This seems strange
    December 2013
  • eugrus 17101 40708 1
    > I cannot understand the logic when the Notifications icon gets red

Yeap! And I am also not sure that every time I create a portion of 25 LingQs it's worth notfying about.
    December 2013
    Ress 32873 46812 12941
    Now it showed me 3, but there was only 1 really new notification about the rose. Why 3? What does that 3 mean? Are there 3 new notifications in a last day or in a week?
    December 2013
    VeraI 17683 2664 651
    I have to add that I would like to open the notification in a new tab! That would be much more comfortable.
    December 2013
    alex 1705 656 31848
    @Wulfgar - Thank you for the screenshots! I've noted both of these issues down now and we'll hopefully have these fixed soon.

@Ress, spatterson, eugrus, VeraI - Thanks for the feedback on the notifications. We'll keep these in mind as we make further improvements to the notifications menu!
    December 2013
    A word is missing in the message we get when we click on the "Move all words to known" button: "You added 0 LingQs, 0 Known Words and earned 0 coin(s) this lesson." It was probably meant to be "FOR this lesson".
    January 2014
    alex 1705 656 31848
    @mikebond - The English here is actually OK :)
    January 2014