New Forum UI, Manual Lesson Mode, Keyboard Shortcuts, 90-Day Challenge!
Administrator
mark 36885 2525 2593
We pushed some significant changes to the site today. We hope you like them!

New Look Forum

It has been a long time since we upgraded the Forum so we spent some time updating the look and feel. We also added the ability to respond to individual comments within a thread. This makes it possible for some users to go off on a tangent without affecting the whole thread! Not that this happens of course…! We have also added an ability to add forum moderators to help us watch the forum and prevent forum spam.

Manual Lesson Mode

We receive many requests for special tweaks to the functionality on the Lesson page depending on how people like to work on their lessons. Therefore, we have replaced Auto-Scroll Off mode with QuickLingQ Mode Off. When you turn off QuickLingQ mode, this will do the following:

Auto-scroll will be off
When you create a LingQ the term will remain selected and you will see the yellow pane for that word in the dashboard or yellow popup in minimized view.
Using the left and right arrow keys will move you from one highlighted word to the next highlighted word regardless of whether these words are blue or yellow.

You will find this control in the gear dropdown on the lesson page.

Enhanced Keyboard Shortcuts

We have added additional keyboard shortcuts to allow you to adjust a LingQ’s status. You can type 1-4, k or x for any yellow LingQs to change status, make words known (status 4 with tickmark) or ignore words.

90-Day Challenge back by popular demand

So many of you enjoyed the Challenge and continue to request a new challenge that we have decided to make it a permanent fixture of the site. You can now sign up for the Challenge at any time and then try to meet your targets for the following 90 days. We have even made it a little easier by removing the requirement to write and speak, although we still think you should! However, you can now earn your reward by just meeting your Known Words, LingQs, LingQs Learned, Listening and Reading targets.

Sign up for the Challenge here or click on the banner on the Learn page above your Progress Snapshot.

As always, let us know if you find any issues and tell us how you like our updates!
July 2014
    keke_eo 15519 9473 5534
    Fantastic! I think "You can type 1-4" will be my favourite little feature.
    July 2014
    ColinJohnstonov 52700 1 7605
    What is the apple next to the name?
    July 2014
    • Prinz_Skogsvin gb United Kingdom 6511 13 2004
      An Apple Mac? :-)
      July 2014
    • Administrator
      mark ca Canada 36885 2525 2593
      It's supposed to be your activity apple which represents how active you are on the site. It looks like it is not quite working properly, however, since it should match the apple showing on your avatar picture.
      July 2014
      • Administrator
        In fact, it looks like the apple being displayed is one level too high or one level higher than your activity apple on your profile.
        July 2014
        keke_eo fi Finland 15519 9473 5534
        Don't we have a different apple for each language?
        July 2014
        • Administrator
          Yes, it will take your most active language or "best" apple.
          July 2014
            Good approach!
            July 2014
      • jolanda ch Switzerland 38178 23820 13845
        There are too much useless info on the forum now. If someone like to control the activity from another member he should go to the profile. j:-(
        July 2014
  • OzzyHellBack 15 0 6
    The new Forum look is pretty neat! You can either reply to individual comments or on the thread. Somewhat like youtube has. I like it. I haven't tried the other features yet, but I'll check'em out.
    July 2014
      Yutaka jp Japan 15406 1621
      Now there are seven levels of rows(?). The first row begins on the left and the last row begins in the middle of the window.
      July 2014
  • CapslockEngaged 1560 12182 2885
    I'm glad that the 90 day challenge is here. When I return to the United States on Saturday, I'll probably start it for Portuguese (hopefully I can finish up the duolingo tree during my long journey back). Also, a small bug, but my languages and word counts are showing up on your name.
    July 2014
    • Administrator
      @CapslockEngaged - Thanks, we have the word count issue on our list. Hope to have it fixed soon.
      July 2014
  • kcb 80238 31208 3739
    It's a big thumbs up from me. I'm very excited to see you guys address some things we've been harping on you about. Thank you!
    July 2014
    VeraI 18598 2664 651
    About the Forum:

Personally I find the information about the poster above the post a bit distracting. It disturbs my reading flow. That is my first impression. I would prefer to have it in a column on the left under the picture.

Pressing Enter should make a new row and not post immediately the post. That happened to me just yet with this post.

I miss the spell checker.

This is my very first impression.
    July 2014
      VeraI de Germany 18598 2664 651
      As a moderator I have permission to delete single post but not threads like before. Also I can delete answers but not the initially post (the first post).
      July 2014
      • Administrator
        As a moderator, you no longer need to delete posts. Just click the Reject link for one post and we will take care of that user's posts. None of the posts for that user will show if one is rejected.
        July 2014
    • Ozemite au Australia 100 3553 561
      Oh yes, I agree with you about pressing Enter!!
      July 2014
    • Administrator
      @Vera - I don't mind the info although it does take a bit of getting used to. We do need to replace the spellchecker and we will look at the Enter issue and creating new lines. For now, if you hit shift+enter, it creates a line break.
      July 2014
        ColinJohnstonov gb United Kingdom 52700 1 7605
        This pressing shift+enter thing has actually become quite normal in the last few years. It takes some time to get used to though and maybe isn't good for a forum. I think it is mostly used for chat programs where most things people type are only one or two sentences. I am fine with it either way.
        July 2014
      Vera is right on all counts

I'm totally lost where to put my comments. j:-(
      July 2014
    • johnnylooselips ca Canada 4426
      Yes, me too. Hitting "enter" is sometimes posting the message. Then I have to go back and edit.
      August 2014
  • Ozemite 100 3553 561
    Hey! Since our stats are on display... I will just have to get my Chinese stats up to date now! :)~~
    More serious: the keyboard shortcuts look great, thanks! Talk about coincidences, I started my self-Chinese Challenge earlier today. How funny! So I just went & signed up here
    July 2014
    • iaing au Australia 27678
      I think the stats display are a subtle way to motivate people, which isn't a bad thing. Also probably good for a subtle brag as well. For me, well, I don't use lingq like that so I will forever be a newbie...

The only reason I have any stats at all is because, one day, I was bored, and wanted to bust my little guy out of his egg...true story.
      July 2014
      I like the statistics being shown - this should be a reminder to keep studying and stop reading the forums ;)
      July 2014
        I also should stop reading and writing in the forum.it is only confusing!
        July 2014
    • Tom03 nl Netherlands 34167 5453 2163
      and not just your Chinese ;)
      July 2014
  • iaing 27678
    Is the ability to edit our own original posts (first post in a thread) broken, or momentarily just gone, or permanently gone, or just me ?
    July 2014
    • Administrator
      You should be able to edit your threads or comments. Just click the Edit link under your post.
      July 2014
        Doesn't work for me since the update. I'll send an email to support address with the details.
        July 2014
  • [[Ginkgo58]] 376 100585 144
    Thanks for trying to improve the forum pages. However, I am not sure where to write this. I could not reply to a post so I have put it here. I agree with Vera's comment about the enter button. Now all my sentences run together. The enter button should take one to the next line. And now the most recent post is at the bottom of the list. How long does a topic continue to be discussed before a string of posts becomes unwieldy? Is it necessary to have my stats on this page? Anyone who wants to know how few words I know in French or Russian can easily find out by clicking on my name. And what happened to Norwegian? I find these stats add a bit of confusion to the page anyway.
    July 2014
    • Fasulye de Germany 1415 2707
      The LingQ - forum looks scattered is is VERY user unfriendly now! I don't have the overview anymore of the different topics of a subforum and the structure of the threads. :(
      July 2014
      Press shift+enter to make an new line. As I said above, this is quite normal behavior for chat programs and is used in forums too sometimes.

Anyway, I am interested to know what will happen when side discussions become so long that the posts are indented all the way to the right. Maybe we should have a little experiement.

Seriously though, now that the stats are shown above the post, you should stop posting here. Your German stats put mine to shame!
      July 2014
      Strange! someone had delete my text!!!!!!!
      July 2014
    VeraI 18598 2664 651
    It is now impossible to follow the line of posts because there are too many.

To find the new posts is much too hard. What about threads with 10 pages? How will one find the new posts well hidden on the third or fourth page because the post was a comment to a post. To be honest I dislike the way how the forum is working now. I liked the linear form much more.

Another issue: I was not able to make the input box bigger. This makes it difficult to write longer texts.
    July 2014
      Vera is right on all counts. I think large discussions will be impossible to follow.

One can make the box bigger when editing a comment, but not when writing the original comment.
      July 2014
    • Tom03 nl Netherlands 34167 5453 2163
      It looks great, but in this state it isn't navigable at all :(
      Good job on the other changes though!
      July 2014
      it is realy a pain! :-( This was a coment to Veras post!
      July 2014
      • [[nd71]] aw Aruba 889 0 0
        Die vielen Zahlen machen mich ganz wirr im Kopf. Und dazu das endlose Scrollen...
        July 2014
  • sauliokas 10392 12366 107
    Now forum using is very uncomfortable. Threads with pages much more convenient.
    July 2014
    VeraI 18598 2664 651
    It is more worse than I thought. You have to scroll down all the way to the end of the thread. My long finger feels pain when he is thinking about how often I have to scroll now. I dislike this on the exchange, but here it is much more inconvenient.
    July 2014
      Wenn es schlimm ist, LingQ kann es immer noch schlimmer! Wenn man ausgeloggt ist, sieht man nur den 1. Beitrag, dann ist Ende. Und wenn man eingeloggt ist, scrollt man sich den Finger wund. Ich bin erst einmal weg ... echt schlimm. Schade, schade, anscheinend lieben die Programmierer so etwas, aber nicht die wirklichen Benutzer!
      July 2014
        You guys are correct. Scrolling to the bottom of a long thread takes forever, and trying to find a new post somewhere in the middle is also really difficult
        July 2014
        Where is your post from 16.37? "A new post has been added by nd71:

Interesting? No, the forum now is horrible? Does nobody see this in
        advance? This is now a scrolling orgy...

" I can not find it .I see only the email.
        July 2014
      alex ca Canada 1705 656 31848
      Thanks for the feedback! We'll be updating this to show more posts and take you directly to a linked post in a thread to make it easier to respond to specific posts :)
      July 2014
        To be honest, I don't think this update for the forum is going to work. The old simple linear, page-by-page view was perfectly fine and didn't need to be updated. This new system doesn't seem appropriate for a forum like this.

I quite like seeing the stats above people's posts though.
        July 2014
    ColinJohnstonov 52700 1 7605
    Somebody needs to go post on that epic Benny Mandarin thread. It would take an hour to scroll down to the newest posts!
    July 2014
    • mfr pt Portugal 2782 1588 95
      It's really bad... I wonder if this was really intended... was it tested on a long thread at least?
      Using PgDn is a bit less painful than scrolling, but still painful enough.
      I wonder if it is a measure to prevent us from procrastinating... forget the forum, study languages! :)
      July 2014
        SanneT gb United Kingdom 487 343
        For me a smooth forum is a must-have! Studying is an occasional by-product ...
        July 2014
  • eturgeon 0 4291
    Thank you! Its nice to be able to turn off the "QuickLingq"

Mark, do you think its in your future plans to add a keyboard shortcut for the play button? It would be very useful for Japanese/chinese/Korean learners.

I guess I could easily add it myself in chrome, with a few javascript. But before I do it, I ask in case its something you're already implementing.
    July 2014
      Glad to hear you like the QuickLingQ toggle! :) No immediate plans for a shortcut to play/pause audio, though perhaps at some point in the future it's something we'll consider. If you can add it yourself with a quick JavaScript tweak then you're more than welcome to do so :)
      July 2014
      • eturgeon ca Canada 0 4291
        OK I'll do it, thank you for confirming anyway and keep up the good work.
        July 2014
  • jolanda 38178 23820 13845
    Colin wrote:A new post has been added by ColinJohnstone:

To be honest, I don't think this update for the forum is going to
    work. The old simple linear, page-by-page view was perfectly fine and
    didn't need to be updated. This new system doesn't seem appropriate
    for a forum like this. He is right! Maybe my answer is on the wrong place.But I do not understand how the new Lingq forum works. I think best would be to take a break from the forum.j :-(.
    July 2014
    • [[Ginkgo58]] aw Aruba 376 100585 144
      Yes, this new system is very messy and confusing.
      July 2014
    • Administrator
      steve ca Canada 7243 161 55542
      It is a work in progress, and in the end will be better with more participation by more members, I am convinced.
      August 2014
        Steve, I don't understand how that should attract someone. For me it is distracting because the line of posts get lost.
        August 2014
    • [[Ginkgo58]] aw Aruba 376 100585 144
      I heartily agree. Jolanda has said exactly the kind of thing I had planned on saying. I loved the forum as it was. We have had some great laughs together and some very intelligent conversations. Now it is a mess. Until sanity returns to the format, I am out of here.
      August 2014
        Ginko doesn't just consume ridiculous quantities of German words, she also makes a lot of sense. This newest complication of the forum was unnecessary and makes it much worse than it was before. The simple linear setup was much better.
        August 2014
          I absolutely agree. This kind of change on the forum was unnecessary. What the forum has needed was a better search function, but the search is more worse than ever. Before I could search in ONE forum only, and I could search in-between the last 2 weeks, the last month, the last 3 month etc. Now I can only search for a word. The search field is well hidden on the forum overview page.

Sorry guys, you should admit that giving up the linear form is a disaster. Or can you really wholehearted say it works better? Especially without email notifications it is horrible!!!

Is there one member who likes the new forum better? All the "heavy" posters have shown their disappreciation as far as I can see. Come on! Be honest and accept that this doesn't work. Give us the linear forum back!
          August 2014
            Vera, Ginko, Yolanda...you're so right! Pity I couldn't wave a magic wand like some sort of "restore-point" to undo the changes !!

It's probably fair to say that I'm almost always supportive of LingQ changes in more than a year - but I absolutely hate this one.

1 I used the email link to get to this thread, but it just placed me at the heading post, not directly after the current post.

2 When I attempted to scroll down to search for Vera's post, I just got the endlessly-scrolling symbol, which didn't change, even after several minutes.

3 When I used the general Forum link instead & clicked on the relevant thread, it automatically put me at the top of the header

4 clicking on the person's name didn't bring me to the individual's last post, either.

5 I don't mind the language stats etc displayed - it is a bright, fresh new look - but I want to be automatically placed at the last post like we did before

6 Yes, the 2-line typing box is inconvenient - I have to keep scrolling just to see what I've written. I'm more incoherent than usual :)~

7 I have too many emails cluttering up my in-box now, & I have to take notice of the volume as my webmail fills up too often. Before, we just received email notifications for when we weren't logged in. Now we get everything under the sun.

8 It seems after our first edit, we lose our place, and have to search for the typing box to edit!

Yep, that's the case:) I hit the 'edit' button, and found myself in the middle of the page, and had to scroll around looking for my typing box.
            August 2014
        I have just click 'unwatch' this thread. The idea of the new look forum is beautiful in theory, but in practice it has turned out to be a well-aimed shot in the foot, I fear. A positive: it will stop me from over-posting!
        August 2014
  • eugrus 17101 40961 3160
    It's ok that the list of topics is being additionally loaded via ajax, however using ajax for the initial list makes browsing slower.

P.S. I like the design.
    P.S.S. Hopefully some BB-Codes, at least for quoting, are going to be introduced.
    July 2014
    alex 1705 656 31848
    Just an update on this! We pushed a few fixes today including:

- Full list of posts will now show for threads on the forum
    - Known Words totals at the top of the thread will now show for the original poster
    - "Watch Thread" option now updates immediately without having to refresh the page
    - Country flags are showing up properly now on the forum
    - Updates to targets for 90-Day Challenge tab on Progress Snapshot

Please note that this weekend is a long weekend in Vancouver (Monday is a holiday), and some of the team will be away tomorrow and Monday, but we'll put you all in the hands of our trusty new Moderators, and will continue collecting feedback, fixing issues and adding more improvements next week!
    July 2014
    • Administrator
      And, most importantly, the email links go to specific post now so you no longer have to search for posts..!
      July 2014
        Especially for this post the email link hasn't worked. And this doesn't help at all members who watch the forums on the forum only. I do this for some forums because the number of emails from LingQ is very huge for me.
        August 2014
        Before it was very easy to open a topic again that you've read before. Maybe you go to bed at 10pm. In the afternoon you want to check what the new posts to this thread are. You have no email notification because you don't want to get so many emails. Before you were leaded to the last post. You scrolled up until 10PM and then you could follow the line. Now you can't.

By the way, the small input box where I can only see two lines is still annoying.
        August 2014
        • Administrator
          We will continue to work on the forum to make it better. The email notification is working for me most of the time. Clicking on the active threads link also works fine. The small edit box is something we should work on changing, but this will all have to happen next week.
          August 2014
            If you read my post carefully, you'll see that I'm speaking of people who don't want the email notifications but read on the forum.
            August 2014
            • Administrator
              I think it will be difficult to come back and read a specific forum and hope to spot all comments as it gets long and different tangents are taken. That is a potential drawback of the current format. The emails are really the only way to make sure you miss nothing and can click through to those posts you want to respond to. That is the nature of the new forum approach. I think we just have to get used to it now and how best to follow what we would each like to follow.
              August 2014
            I see the Capcha every time I post an answer. Very annoying. When not logged in, I see only the first post of a thread.
            August 2014
        I don't like the emails. And a have to enter another Captcha. Eeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
        August 2014
  • jolanda 38178 23820 13845
    Sorry! I can not see your post !**A new post has been added by mark:

And, most importantly, the email links go to specific post now so you
    no longer have to search for posts..!

j:-(
    August 2014
      Jolanda, what happens when you click one of the emails? Does the page not automatically scroll down to the linked post?
      August 2014
        It sticks on the first posts. This happens to me too. I'm not sure but I guess it happens if it is a first level answer.
        August 2014
          I reported this in another thread about an hour ago. I wonder if it is because the links in the emails don't end in /last anymore?
          August 2014
          • Administrator
            Yes, the email links now end in the post extension so they take you right to the post from the email instead of to the last post in the thread like they did before. This is how we want these links to behave and they are set up correctly. They seem to be working perfectly for me. you may have to wait half a second after the page initially loads to be taken to the correct spot. Please be patient.
            August 2014
              That is how it was behaving yesterday.
              I tried again, clicked on the link in the email with your previous post, a Firefox tab opened in the top post and I waited more than a minute. It stayed right there on the first post.
              August 2014
              Hi, Mark, it's been 12 hrs since you said the email links end up in the post extension - but I just get stuck on the header, and nothing changes, even if I wait for 10 minutes. I have a good connection speed anyhow.
              Also, I agree with Vera - emails don't show corrected posts. Plus, if I directly use the Forum thread link (rather than email link) or even click on the last poster's name, I still get taken to the header. Cheers
              Kudos only for the fresh new look:)
              August 2014
    Another thing that is awkward about using this new Forum system is that clicking on a link on the right hand side of this page leads to the head contribution of a thread instead of to the contribution that is highlighted in the link.
    August 2014
    • Administrator
      If you click on the title of the thread, it takes you to that thread. If you click on the name of the poster, it takes you to that post in the thread.
      August 2014
      • dooo ca Canada 0 21 9383
        I like the nested threads too. I always found it hard to connect the dots with the linear style. But I note that in FF 31, when you click the name of the poster, it just stays at the top of the thread and you have to scroll down. When you are logged out and you click the name of the poster, you hang with just the original post.
        August 2014
        Sometimes clicking on the name of the poster works like you have described. Other times it doesn't work.
        August 2014
          "If you click on the title of the thread, it takes you to that thread. If you click on the name of the poster, it takes you to that post in the thread."--mark
          Now, if you click on the title, it also takes you to the post in the thread. I like this change.
          August 2014
            @Mark: This post of Yutaka is a great example for what I've writen above. In the email that I got was only what Mark has said. The last sentence is missing because Yutake hit accidentally ENTER when I wanted starting a new line. You cannot trust only the email notifications if you want to make sure you've read what the poster want to express.
            August 2014
              I am using an iPad. There is no shift-Enter. I did so to return the carriage.
              August 2014
              I suppose that email notifications are not referring to the edited ones.
              August 2014
            • Administrator
              That is true but the notifications function exactly as they did before. If somebody edited their post previously, it also wasn't in the email. But, now you can click through and go right to that comment to see everything that person said. Previously, if a forum was active, you might have to search a few pages of responses to find that exact post.
              August 2014
        • Administrator
          I have clicked on numerous posters and have never had it not work. It might have been some strange one-off glitch.
          August 2014
            I got an email notification about this. The link in the email took me to the top, not to this post. I was only able to find it by searching for "glitch" in the browser search.
            August 2014
            It hasn't worked for me since the changes came in. I had to use Ctrl F (Find) command then type in your words "I have clicked on numerous posters.." just to find you! :) Anyone reading this in an email, just use the Ctrl + F hint to open the search box at top of your page, lol
            August 2014
    • Administrator
      I had nothing to do with the new forum design, but have to say I like it. There are a few improvements in the works, and on the whole I think we will all like it once we are used to it.
      August 2014
        The problem is that because of the forum disaster nobody sees the improvements. Most of us are completely baffled.
        August 2014
          "We also added the ability to respond to individual comments within a thread. "--mark / This is a good thing.
          August 2014
            I used the slash(/) instead of the CR.
            August 2014
            I think that eight nests are too many.
            One post and two levels of replies would be better.
            August 2014
            The replies should begin at the more-left positions on the window. They do not have to begin at center-right positions on the screen.
            August 2014
              The forum is unreadable now on my smartphone.
              August 2014
    To Mark and Yukata's most recent comments: The links do not work properly for me either. Mark and Yukata's and now Vera
    August 2014
    I don't know what I hit when I was trying to do 's in Vera's, but my last message got posted accidentally before I finished it. My emails from this forum are going crazy, I cannot find the message in the forum ...
    August 2014
      I've these problems too. Now I've to use the browser search and search for a word in the post to find it. Really funny...
      August 2014
    VeraI 18598 2664 651
    I've just started a referendum to see if users prefers the 'old' or the 'new' forum. Please participate: http://www.lingq.com/forum/1/33559/
    August 2014
    • evgueny40 ru Russian Federation 1720 70019 5766
      I'm compleately perplexed with these many suggestions of 'reply'. Why I have to answer the certain person instead of participating in the general discussion?.. When it was a 'chain' of replies, it had more sense. That's why I mostly just avoid to participate in such 'new forum' which is artificially devided now in many private parts.
      August 2014
      Vera, sorry for writing more than just "new" in the other post. I think give it a chance for a start. I think if they collapsed/hid individual responses/replies, as a default, it would a be really good forum format. Same as the old, but less likely to derail, and more likely to foster side conversation.
      August 2014
        iaing, first my impression was positive too. I like the fresh look a lot. I get disctracted by the languages and known words information, because it disctracts my reading, but I can live with it. What I figured out later, when more posts were written with the new system is, that I was not able to follow the discussion any longer because there were too many branches. I got absolutely lost. And you cannot find the new posts. Sometimes I want to follow a thread without subscribing and partizipating in the discussion. This is not possible any longer.
        August 2014
          iang wrote on the other thread "Vera, I know you will delete this. And that's ok. But - if they collapsed/hid individual responses/replies, as a default, it would a be really good forum format. Same as the old, but less likely to derail, and more likely to foster side conversation. I could have a side conversation with Julz without fear of being deleted. You could have your thread format intact. Everyone wins. Why choose everyone loses option? Go ahead - delete."

I've two problem with that. First I wonder why it is so difficult to follow the simple advice to comment on THIS thread only.
          Second, I really want to read all the sidekicks etc. I get not distracted by them and sometimes they are quite interesting. But it is impossible now, because I cannot figure out what is new and read it in a linear way. Now I would have to start each time from the beginning and watch the time when a post was made to figure out if it is new or not.
          August 2014
            About 9 minutes ago you posted a reply (which ended up towards the middle of this thread) in which you said a (previous) e-mail link didn't work again. Well, I tried to read your contribution from the forum just now by clicking on your name. It didn't lead me anywhere but to Mark's original post. The link set up is definitely not stable.

(I wasn't lying! Suddenly, after about 4 minutes or so, I was chucked back into this thread, up to your comment which I had tried to link into (see first paragraph of this). This shows that the set-up does work but that it takes an inordinate amount of time to function (and it has thrown me out of another post I was about to read.)
            August 2014
  • LFJ 14565 2250
    Ugh, please revert. All in favor give this post a rose! :)
    August 2014
  • lynkusu 3377 998 747
    The update looks good from a glance, but I think it has a lot of issues to sort out.

Being able to reply to individual posts is a great idea, but they should definitely be hidden by default and have to be opened through the click of a button, because all these branching posts are impossibly confusing and threads are much harder to read.

I also haaate infinite scrolling. It's nearly impossible to find particular posts in long threads and new posts in long threads will remain forever buried. Also I just think infinite scrolling is a horrible idea anywhere anyway. Bring back pages!

The comment box should also expand as we write in it... it's annoying to only be able to see two lines and makes it more difficult to formulate a comment.

Also -- not related to the update, but just a suggestion: have you guys ever thought about implementing basic formatting? Bold, italics, underline, embedded picture and video... those would be great features to have^^

Edit: Hey, you can no longer give a rose to your own post! That's great, I no longer have to fear missclicking and looking like a narcissist :D
    August 2014
    • Administrator
      I agree with many of these suggestions. Give us a little more time to sort out some of these issues.
      August 2014
      You also can't see how many roses your own posts have been given.
      August 2014
      • Administrator
        Yup, there are some issues to resolve, but overall I like the ability respond directly. Remember that these changes were in response to many criticisms of our previous forum. We are moving forward, not backward, so we will address the issues that remain.
        August 2014
        • LFJ cn China 14565 2250
          Or, you're looking forward but moving backward. What would solve the issue of responding to individual posts would be a proper quote function, which the forum never had.
          August 2014
          • lynkusu ca Canada 3377 998 747
            Actually responding to individual posts is probably a better approach to that... or at least it would be, if it were better implemented.
            August 2014
        • johnnylooselips ca Canada 4426
          Steve, any idea how long it will take to get the site running as it should?
          August 2014
        I think we can all agree that there have been many excellent updates to the website and it only seems like we complain about all the updates because we are more likely to discuss things that we don't like. When something is improved, people probably won't write about it in the forum, or maybe will just write a quick 'nice update' post.

Whether or not the forum will be better or worse after this update, I honestly don't know. I was initially very skeptical, but now I guess I just have to wait and see. I liked the old setup more than the new one. Anyway, there are more important issues than the forum.
        August 2014
          "Anyway, there are more important issues than the forum."

Such as that annoying 'congratulations' box that appears every time I finish a lesson. Seeing this box is starting to get very tedious. It might be nice for beginners, but I have probably completed well over a thousand lessons by now, and I don't need to be congratulated every time I finish one more.
          August 2014
            Colin wrote:"Anyway, there are more important issues than the forum."

Such as that annoying 'congratulations' box that appears every time I finish a lesson. Seeing this box is starting to get very tedious. It might be nice for beginners, but I have probably completed well over a thousand lessons by now, and I don't need to be congratulated every time I finish one more. " *I think: it would be nice if we could delete this function. bdw I miss the spell checker. j;-)
            August 2014
  • neofight78 14410
    I can't say I like the new threaded approach to the forum. This is not LingQ specific, I never liked this approach. However, I do remember one forum where you could choose between "flat" and "threaded" so this may be a way to keep everybody happy. As others have mentioned I do find the stats clutter the page somewhat, perhaps if they were placed on the left under the user's photo it would be less distracting. I would agree with those who say the edit box is too small, and the whole shift+enter thing is not very user friendly. Infinite scroll seems to be ok, but I wonder how well it will work with a really long topic. Not sure what was wrong with the old forum TBH...
    August 2014
    • neofight78 ru Russian Federation 14410
      BTW I just noticed the forum search doesn't seem to work at least not on Mac/Safari.
      August 2014
      Oh, and I also I just edited a the first post of a new thread, and a duplicate got created. So that's another niggle that needs attention.
      August 2014
    • Administrator
      I can't remember the discussion about the old forum, but there was a lot of criticism. We resisted doing anything because we felt that it was a distraction from more important issues. Now that we have started this process I think it is best to continue, to fix obvious bugs and to make improvements that reflect the concerns that are being raised. We will not be able to start doing this until Tuesday Vancouver time. Meanwhile, all feedback is appreciated.
      August 2014
        No, worries. I'm sure that in time it'll get refined so that it's pretty slick. It's just a little bump to get over. It's good that you guys are constantly working to improve the site. I can appreciate to a certain extent you are in a no win situation with everybody wanting something different!
        August 2014
    SanneT 487 343
    In a parallel thread, the 'referendum' one, a certain member from Japan has written "the dichotomy is irrelevant". I am beginning to feel the same. I suspect we shall have to learn to live with (manipulate?) the new system. I am beginning to get a feel for it and how to use the way I want to. (This does not mean I am enamoured of it!!!)
    August 2014
      Don't worry, we've got plans to continue to improve the new forum, and all the feedback is helping a lot in this regard!
      August 2014
    The 'Scroll to see more' thing is very awkward and does not work on my iPad in Ethiopia. I had no trouble going back to old pages, but with the scroll-down not functioning, I cannot see more than the first two posts, even though I wait for half an hour or more. The scroll-down does work on the computer, but I still would rather have the old pages and linear view.
    August 2014
      Thanks for the feedback! We'll see what we can do to improve the responsiveness of the forum so that it's more friendly on mobile devices!
      August 2014