New Beta Language: Romanian
alex 1705 656 31848
Today we launched Romanian, the newest of our beta languages! Romanian is the first language to reach the 1,000 vote threshold in our poll (http://on.fb.me/pcZaZS), and we look forward to seeing more Romanian speakers and learners actively using LingQ to connect.

When adding Romanian, we ran into some issues that delayed the release date until today, but you should now be able to import all your Romanian lessons into LingQ and begin studying through the site!

As always, if you have any dictionaries that you would like us to add for Romanian please let us know.
April 2013
  • mikebond 627 17123 111
    @Alex: great news! I will let you know about dictionaries.

@Steve: I am usually sleeping at 3am... I will have a look at that page, thanks.
    April 2013
  • Administrator
    steve 6063 169 55541
    I have imported some items, including newspaper articles and have noticed that the diacritics are sometimes used and sometimes not. Anyone know anything about this.
    April 2013
  • mikebond 627 17123 111
    Lazy Romanians don't use diacritics, like lazy French, Polish or other peoples. Adding diacritics takes longer and is more difficult to do on smartphones or similar devices. I would avoid using texts without diacritics until I have reached a certain level of self-confidence.
    April 2013
  • mikebond 627 17123 111
    FYI, the Romanian flag is missing from the language switch dropdown menu. Just a minor issue, I know! :)
    April 2013
  • tototitus 3643 833
    Glückwunsch! I see that people are throwing out Romanian resources, so I can also recommend www.hallo.ro, a RO-EN dictionary which also translates idioms. I've been using it myself with fairly good results.
    Proof of this: http://hallo.ro/search.do?d=en&l=ro&type=both&q... - a tăia frunze la câini - literally, to cut (peel, prepare) leaves for dogs, being correctly translated into "bumming around".
    Also, "dexonline.ro" may be monolingual, but it provides conjugation and declension.

mikebond is right, the (sometimes total) lack of diacritics is a somewhat pathological issue for us Romanians. A good explanation for this i reckon is that many Romanians use their computer's operating system in English, which doesn't include a Romanian keyboard by default.
    April 2013
  • mikebond 627 17123 111
    Salut tototitus! Mulțumesc for the dictionary suggestion. Will you create some lessons for us? :)
    April 2013
  • Administrator
    steve 6063 169 55541
    I have written to that site Mike to ask if they want to sell their material across LingQ.

I found this newspaper and all of their articles are without diacritics. I didn't notice at first, and google translate seemed to work anyway. I will find another source.

http://www.gazetadecluj.ro/

Thanks for the dictionaries and hope we can integrate them asap.

I am keen to learn some Romanian since I will be visiting Romania for three days from June 6-9. My lumber company has started selling Romanian lumber to the US East Coast. I will be visiting a sawmill in Rădăuţi then hope to drive from Suceava to Cluj and Sibiu before flying home.
    April 2013
    alex 1705 656 31848
    @all - OK, I've now added all the dictionaries listed here. I've also added the resources which have been suggested. Enjoy!
    April 2013
  • [[Ginkgo58]] 376 100585 144
    Are there any lessons available in the library in Romanian?
    April 2013
  • mikebond 627 17123 111
    @Gingko: not yet, but hopefully soon.
    April 2013
  • [[J_4_J]] 0
    @Mike

Let's see, Romanian is the only modern Romance language which still has case-inflections, isn't it?

(Temptation....! :-D)
    April 2013
  • Administrator
    steve 6063 169 55541
    Yes, but no many. The language has some unique features, and 15% Slavic origin words, but seems quite easy so far. A lot easier than the Slavic languages and Korean that I have been on recently.
    April 2013
  • mikebond 627 17123 111
    @J_4_J: Romanian has kept only nominative and genitive for nouns (and more cases for pronouns, like all other romance languages, and like English). Plus, it has an enclitical article, like Bulgarian and Scandinavian languages. And the vocabulary was influenced by Turkish and Slavic languages.
    April 2013
  • Administrator
    steve 6063 169 55541
    I am willing to pay points to any Romanian native speaker who will translate and record two LingQ beginner series course. Eating Out and Who is She. Please let me know if you are interested.
    April 2013
  • mikebond 627 17123 111
    I posted a similar message earlier, and shared it with my LingQ friends, some of which are Romanians, but nobody answer. I had an exchange of views with aharapu, the most active Romanian-speaking member, but he said he wouldn't like to "work for free" (since he doesn't care about earning points).
    April 2013
  • aharapu 4115
    I'll do the translations, because I want to help. If I get some points in return that's an extra bonus. I understand that a certain number of points can be used to pay for my subscription. I guess that would be a nice way to save some money :)
    April 2013
  • watupboy101 13243 3357
    Not particularly interested in learning Romanian but glad to see Mike work so hard to get something he wanted accomplished! It just goes to show how well of a community we have here at LingQ. Now the hard part! Finding someone to record Romanian materials! Good luck, and now I see why every language isn´t available here on LingQ (Yet). Thank you Steve for providing such a wonderful site, and responding to the request of its users!
    April 2013
  • mikebond 627 17123 111
    @watupboy: Thanks for your nice message. Finding new material for LingQ was a challenge for most beta languages, not just for Romanian now. :)
    My next challenge is getting 1,000 votes for Catalan!
    April 2013
  • tototitus 3643 833
    mikebond, I may record some lessons, but I feel I need some more proper equipment to do this, as my current microphone is quite awful.
    In the meantime, this
    http://www.seelrc.org:8080/grammar/pdf/stand_al...
    is (as far as I can tell) a really good book on Romanian (grammar, phonology, etc).
    April 2013
  • mikebond 627 17123 111
    Ok, Titus. I hope you will get a new microphone soon. :)
    The link you wrote doesn't work for me. :(
    April 2013
  • Administrator
    steve 6063 169 55541
    tototitus. Wow, a great resource. Thank you. If you are able to record any of the many example sentences, over time of course, and provide the English in the translation that would make for great lessons. I am a little concerned about copyright issues however. BTW where do you live?
    April 2013
  • tototitus 3643 833
    I think in this case concern over copyright might be superfluous - I don't think anyone holds copyright over some example sentences, though in our copyright-paranoid times, anything is possible. Like, the most often used example sentence in Romanian is "Ana are mere" (Anna has/holds apples) - how could one possibly clench this sentence within the confines of copyright? By extension, how can one possibly hold copyright on sentences like:
    "Îl caut pe profesorul de matematică." (I'm looking for the math professor.)
    "Îl caut pe profesorul Gheorghiu" (I'm looking for professor Gheorghiu.), page 34, the direct object preposition "pe".
    April 2013
  • eugrus 17101 40961 3160
    I've noticed that the DexOnline Romanian-Romanian has been mistakenly marked as an English dictionary.
    April 2013
    Also the German hallo.ro dictionary links to English entries.
    April 2013
  • Administrator
    steve 6063 169 55541
    The DexOnline dictionary is full of useful information incuding conjugations and etymology of words. It has not been mistakenly marked as an English dictionary. We don't have Romanian as an interface or dictionary language.

The hallo dictionary is not ideal. If you have other dictionaries to recommend please let us know.
    April 2013
  • mikebond 627 17123 111
    Steve, why do you think the hallo dictionary is not ideal? I find it better than other online dictionaries. The only small issues I am having with it is that it always opens on the Romanian-English tab, although I had selected Italian as my target language. Could this be fixed?
    April 2013
  • Administrator
    steve 6063 169 55541
    Eugrus. Thanks. Alex will get around to it eventually. How many German speakers are studying Romanian? If setting this up for each language is a lot of work we may not do anything. Remember Romanian is an unsupported language. As it is I am having to create most of the content so the library does not look too empty, and of course I am studying Romanian.

April 2013
  • Administrator
    steve 6063 169 55541
    Mike, the hallo dictionary seems to offer a long list of possible translations, some of which seem totally irrelevant. I miss my Seznam Czech dictionary.

BTW, it almost appears as if I am the only one active in Romanian, both in terms of LingQing and in terms of adding content to the library. And you wonder why we don't want to add more Beta languages.
    April 2013
    > If setting this up for each language is a lot of work we may not do anything

Probably not. There are only 4 languages on hallo.ro and that is basically copy&paste a URL for each of them.
    But I wonder why not just enable users to add their personal dictionaries like in ĹŴŤ, so that developers wouldn't be bothered by such kind of things at all.
    April 2013
  • Administrator
    steve 6063 169 55541
    Eugrus, I have no idea what is involved in enabling users to set up their own dictionaries and will find out. However, most learners don't know where to look for dictionaries, therefore we prefer to set up dictionaries for all users, based on requests that we receive.
    April 2013
    > Mike, the hallo dictionary seems to offer a long list of possible translations, some of which seem totally irrelevant.

That is 'cause it's actually an English-Romanian dictionary. For Romanian-English it just searches in the entries supposed to be used inversely.

I've got exactly the same problem with this vorbar (словарь): http://www.moldovenii.md/ru/lexicon/d_lang/ru/d...
    In this example the correct translation is there, but appears as the sixth line.

Still, if nothing else, it would be good to add it as a Romanian-Russian dictionary.
    Also, having Wiktionary on the list could be helpful just as always.
    April 2013
  • Administrator
    steve 6063 169 55541
    I will ask Alex to look at these dictionaries on Monday. Thanks.
    April 2013
    alex 1705 656 31848
    @eugrus - I've now fixed the hallo dictionary for German. By the way, the reason we've chosen to not allow user added dictionaries is that (1) we would need to create an interface to allow this, (2) adding dictionaries may be complicated to understand and we would need to add explanations on how to do this and (3) if we do this then it is unlikely users will request dictionaries and therefore fewer dictionary choices will be available for the whole of LingQ; those who are keen will just add it for themselves. For these reasons we don't allow users to add their own dictionaries, but are happy to add any dictionaries that users request, so long as they are compatible.

By the way, I've added Romanian-English for Wiktionary and added Moldovenii as you requested.

@mikebond - OK, hallo should now be working properly!
    April 2013
    Thank you! But for some reason the Moldovenii dictionary doesn't get added for me: no new dictionary button appears as I choose it and click on Save!
    April 2013
  • mikebond 627 17123 111
    Thank you, Alex!
    April 2013
    alex 1705 656 31848
    @eugrus - Hmm, that's strange. We'll take a look into this and see why this might be happening.
    April 2013
    alex 1705 656 31848
    @eugrus - OK, the dictionaries should now be working properly. Let me know if you notice any other issues here.
    April 2013
    As to the universal dictionaries, Glosbe is quite fine with Romanian in certain language pairs!
    April 2013
    alex 1705 656 31848
    @eugrus - Ah, I've now corrected the URL further. The initial one you had provided was causing problems so I had to rework it but it looks like I forgot to add a placeholder there. In addition, the scrolling issue is related to the way their site is set up, so I've had to switch this one so that it now opens up in a popup.

I've also added several combinations for Glosbe :)
    April 2013
    Thanks a lot, Alex!
    April 2013
  • Administrator
    steve 6063 169 55541
    Glosbe is an excellent dictionary and so is DexOnline. The others I find less useful.
    April 2013
  • I have an interpreter exam in 2 weeks time Romanian-English...Anyone can help with simultaneous interpreting? Law ? Technical translation? Anything would be helpful. Much appreciate
    May 2014