LingQ Extension for Google Chrome: Learn Languages while surfing the web!
[[galina]] 43 1070
One of the most unique and useful features on LingQ is the ability to import any text from the internet and study it directly on LingQ.

But that is all about to change. Today, we've released a brand new extension for Google Chrome users. With the extension, you can now take LingQ’s vocabulary functionality and tracking tools with you as you surf the web, allowing you not only import texts but also study them without even leaving the page.

How to use the extension

When you click on the extension, a banner will appear at the top and you'll have the option between two choices.

1) Open on LingQ imports the article to LingQ so you can study it through the site

"Open on LingQ" is an extension of the already existing Import Bookmarklet, which allows you to select text on any page and import it into LingQ. Simply select the language you'd like to import it into and the extension will handle the rest.

2) LingQ Here brings the LingQ system to you, highlighting the words on the page and allowing you to save, review and mark words as Known.

If you choose “LingQ Here”, any words that you have previously saved to your database on LingQ will show up with a yellow highlight, and you can review these words by simply clicking on them. In addition, any words that are new to you are highlighted in blue, and clicking on one of these words will allow you to look up the word and save it to your database.

Of course, anything you do on the page is immediately synced with your personal database on LingQ, meaning your database is always up to date.

The LingQ extension is available now in the Chrome Web Store (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/category/ext...), so be sure to try it out and let us know what you think!
February 2014
  • dooo 0 21 9383
    not working it seems on chromium
    February 2014
  • dooo 0 21 9383
    although I am not currently a paying member.... great idea by the way :)
    February 2014
  • Liamt 809 913 1810
    Wow, this is a great idea indeed! I've already used it a little bit and for the most part it seems to be working just fine, I'm excited to use it more.
    February 2014
  • huggie_spice 7678 1478 3619
    Can't wait to try this!
    February 2014
  • huggie_spice 7678 1478 3619
    I just tested this out and this is absolutely awesome!!!
    February 2014
  • Administrator
    steve 66778 55048 20754
    Where do I find the extension?
    February 2014
  • spatterson 3636
    Yeah. I'm impressed.
    February 2014
  • Administrator
    steve 66778 55048 20754
    I must be doing something wrong. (BTW thanks huggie_spice I am not too swift when it comes to technology).

It opens in LingQ but not on the page. In other words when try" LingQ here", nothing happens other than a message asks to wait while LingQs are loaded. Also the text formatting gets scrambled. But I am going to bed now.
    February 2014
  • lemonjpnz 4230 14
    I too am getting the same problem as Steve were the lingq on web page function does not work at all. my language is Japanese
    February 2014
  • Administrator
    steve 66778 55048 20754
    I tried it with Korean, Czech and Russian with the same results.
    February 2014
  • jolanda 37452 23820 13845
    Where do I find the extension?

I can not find it on this page:

The Google Chrome Store.
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore

Sorry,but I need more explications! please!

j:-(
    February 2014
  • spatterson 3636
    The search bar on the left. Type in LingQ. Click the install button. If you don't find it, perhaps it's hidden or omitted from German locales.

Also LingQ, the extension is filled under "Fun" instead of "Foreign Language". While you may think learning foreign languages is fun, more people may find this (randomly, hence new customers) if it's under Foreign Lang.

-- 5 min later --

Okay, I tried it out. I'm not getting it to work. I've tried it on 20min.ch and spielgel.de. The LingQ bar comes up but nothing is highlight. Chrome 33, Mac OS X Mavericks

Also -- here's a questions for your devs -- is it going to work on local files (maybe not html files)? This would solve import hassles. I would like to go to file:///Users/shaun/StarTrek/DS9/01x01.srt and read the subtitles right in my browser without importing.
    February 2014
  • [[nd71]] 889 0 0
    In the Chrome App Store, I don't find anything with the search term "LingQ".

What about a Firefox extension? I prefer Firefox, as I don't like Google and its personal data harvesting.
    February 2014
  • syneryder 5179 132 1437
    Here's a direct link to the LingQ extension in the Chrome store:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/lingq...

I can't get LingQ'ng on the page to work either (trying on spiegel.de from Chrome 33 on Mountain Lion), but what does work for me is highlighting text on the page, clicking the LingQ Extension button, then choosing German from the languages... voila, the text I highlighted just got imported as a lesson into my account. That alone should save me a lot of time!
    February 2014
  • solanderdog 33637
    I couldn't get the extension to appear in the search results until I switched the language setting on my Google account to English.
    February 2014
  • z0k 3447 11 96
    This is great! Just tried it out with German on both dw.de and spiegel.de and have a couple of issues to report:

1. Some paragraphs are skipped, but I haven't been able to figure out might be causing this. When I access the same article from the LingQ website under "Quick imports", the paragraphs are not skipped.
    2. Sometimes I have to click "LingQ here" twice to get it to work.

I'm using Chrome 33 on OS X Mountain Lion (Mavericks).
    February 2014
    ColinJohnstonov 51559 7556 179
    This sounds like an excellent feature. Very exciting.

Like people above, it is not really working for me. The highlighting does not appear, but I can select new words and already made LingQs. You can see this here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QZQK3gFg8o&feat...

I try to use it on a Wikipedia page about the Niederdeutche Sprache (zzzzzzzzzz), but after turning it on, there are no highlighted words. I then click on every word in the first line and you can see that some of them are highlighted by a red box and others are not. I open the page in the reading interface and you can see that the ones that were selected were the new words and the existing LingQs.
    February 2014
    @ spatterson

I can't find Greesemonkey for Chrome. There is a Tampermonkey. Do you think this would work in the same way?
    February 2014
  • spatterson 3636
    Yes Tampermonkey is the Greasemonkey for Chrome. My scripts work... I think
    February 2014
    VeraI 16922 2664 651
    I would love to have it on Firefox too.
    February 2014
  • jstoddard 119 1930
    I tried it out just briefly (latest version of Chrome on Debian GNU/Linux) and it seems to work for me. I accidentally imported a Wikipedia article into LingQ, so it must be working!

On the other hand, I would also vote for a Firefox version. Although I sometimes use Chrome on my laptop, I use Firefox pretty much exclusively on my workstation at the office...
    February 2014
    Right, but is the highlighting in the webpage you are trying to read working and not just the highlighting on the LingQ reading page?
    February 2014
  • jstoddard 119 1930
    Yes, unknown words are blue and I can select a hint or mark them as known. It would be nice to be able to create my own hint when I don't like any of the existing ones. Also, the extension doesn't like Wikipedia's citations: "Autorin.[1]" shows up as "autorin1" so I can't lingq "autorin" or mark it as a known word... I haven't done any importing yet (except for the accidental import about an hour ago via the extension), so maybe that's a known issue that also occurs with imported material...
    February 2014
    I see. What version of Chrome are you using? I am using the most up to date version for the mac. Version 33.0.1750.117
    February 2014
  • jstoddard 119 1930
    I'm also on version 33.0.1750.117, which is the latest for Debian. I'll try on a Mac later today; maybe the platform makes a difference. I would first wonder if there's a conflict with another extension, though. In my case I'm using an almost bare-bones version of Chrome. The only other extension installed is Google Docs...
    February 2014
  • Administrator
    mark 32333 2042 3879
    For those of you having trouble with the extension, make sure you wait until the page has fully loaded before you click the extension. Secondly, wait for the "Imported successfully" notification to flash up before trying to click either button. In particular, the LingQ on page button. Finally, give the LingQ on page button 5 to 10 seconds to load all the highlighting. Especially for longer pages.

It's ability to identify the core text is not perfect but is pretty good. You don't need to select text for it to work. It does not look for the selected text. If you would like to check the dictionary or select phrases, you will have to study it on LingQ. All lessons are automatically imported to LingQ anyway. You may find it convenient to go through the lesson on the page and then go back later to the text on LingQ to save some phrases or check the dictionary for a few words. Also, some types of punctuation do seem to cause problems for certain words. For the moment, we will just have to deal with some of these issues.

Regarding an FF extension, we are unlikely to develop one, at least for a while. If you want this functionality, you will have to use Chrome for now. If this proves to be a very popular feature, we can look at developing one for other browsers.
    February 2014
  • Administrator
    mark 32333 2042 3879
    @spatterson - I would have chosen Foreign Languages if I could. The only options for categories that could remotely be considered relevant that I saw were Productivity, Social & Communication and Fun. None of them are really perfect so I went with Fun!

It's strange that it doesn't show up for non-English users. I have all regions ticked on. Perhaps it needs to be localized somehow. We will check into this.
    February 2014
    @ mark

"make sure you wait until the page has fully loaded before you click the extension. Secondly, wait for the "Imported successfully" notification to flash up before trying to click either button. In particular, the LingQ on page button. Finally, give the LingQ on page button 5 to 10 seconds to load all the highlighting. "

So I did this and it worked on this Wikipedia page

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Englisch

but not on this Die Zeit (German newspaper) page

http://www.zeit.de/politik/ausland/2014-02/ukra...

I have just being playing with it on the Wikipedia page where it did work and it is a really cool feature. Thanks.
    February 2014
  • jstoddard 119 1930
    @ColinJohnstone Yeah, the Die Zeit page doesn't work for me either.
    February 2014
    Ok, here are a couple of bugs.

http://goo.gl/wZfH9I

Notice how the box for this word goes off the side of the screen.

http://goo.gl/2ijzJ1

Notice how 'Welt[Bearbeiten]' in the section title is being incorrectly recognised as one word 'weltbearbeiten'.
    February 2014
  • Administrator
    mark 32333 2042 3879
    The Die Zeit page linked above seems to be a listing of articles. When I open an actual article it works fine for me on that page.

Otherwise there will be some glitches related to strange characters contained in words. For the moment there is not much we can do about these but if you keep reporting them we will keep trying to refine things.
    February 2014
    The Die Zeit article is an actual article. I have tried many articles from Die Zeit and it doesn't work in any of them.
    February 2014
  • jstoddard 119 1930
    By the way, I like the extension and think I will find it useful. In pointing out issues and suggestions I may have forgotten to say thanks!
    February 2014
  • Administrator
    mark 32333 2042 3879
    @jstoddard - Haha. You're welcome! No problem pointing out issues. We realize it's not perfect but it's pretty good.

@Colin - This article works fine for me http://www.zeit.de/politik/ausland/2014-02/thai.... I did have to wait 5 to 10 seconds for the green "Imported successfully" message to appear. Then it took another 5 to 10 seconds for the highlighting once I clicked the button. But it works well - http://screencast.com/t/F9JAcuSM5LZa
    February 2014
  • Administrator
    steve 66778 55048 20754
    It works well for some pages and not for others. I will continue to use it as is. Understand that you also have other priorities at this time.
    February 2014
  • Administrator
    mark 32333 2042 3879
    @spatterson - It looks like Foreign Language is only available as a category for Apps and not for Extensions. I have changed our category to Productivity which seems to be the category other language learning extensions are in. Not sure it will affect much..!
    February 2014
    @ mark

I can't get it to work at all on that page. I have tried everything I can think of. I can barely get it to work on any page, though when it does work, it looks excellent.
    February 2014
  • Administrator
    mark 32333 2042 3879
    @Colin - That's strange. Do you have other extensions that could be interfering with it? Although it works part of the time so that probably isn't it. All I can tell you is that you do have to be patient especially on certain sites.
    February 2014
    I only downloaded Chrome today and there is only one extension for 'Google Docs', which I have turned off. I have tried doing it really slowly with lots of waiting, but I have not been able to get it working on any page of Die Zeit or any other website except Wikipedia, and on Wikipedia it rarely works.
    February 2014
  • z0k 3447 11 96
    Hm for me the articles on zeit.de actually work better than the other German websites I tried.

This is really neat. I anticipate using it a lot for reading the news and forums in German.
    February 2014
    What version of Chrome and OS are you using?

It could have something to do with the number of LingQs and known words I have on my German account. I have 38,000 known words and over 40,000 LingQs in German, which is much higher than what mark and z0k have. I am also having much more success with Russian and French where I have very few known words and LingQs.
    February 2014
  • kmahly 403 673
    Just tried it out and it is very cool. I'm sure the kinks will get worked out over time. Thanks for a great extension for Chrome!
    February 2014
  • snorrews 27836 9226 5468
    Great! I guess reading with this extension doesn't add to the reading counter / reading statistics? Also is it possible to use it at several sites at once (in several tabs), or would you recommend on page at the time?

Addendum: Works well both in Chrome on my Mac, and in Chromium on my Linux Mint-box
    February 2014
  • lemonjpnz 4230 14
    I have just tried it with English (Wikipedia.. etc) and it worked perfectly. however I cannot get it to work for Japanese at all with any type of web page.
    February 2014
    @ mark

Ok, so I can get it to work on that Die Zeit page you linked to but it takes time. Basically, I have to click 'LingQ Here' and then wait several minutes, and then click it again. I think the issue is related to the number of LingQs and known words on the account since it is faster with Russian than with German where I have fewer LingQs and known words, and even faster with French where I have even fewer LingQs and known words.
    February 2014
  • Administrator
    mark 32333 2042 3879
    @snorrews - Yes, it won't adjust your reading stats. The functionality on the page is limited to the functionality in the popups. You can try it in multiple tabs. Not sure how that will work.

@Colin - Yes, it does seem slower for languages with more known words which makes sense.

@lemonjpnz - It doesn't seem to work well with Japanese. That is because of the lack of spacing between words. You will have to import to LingQ in Japanese and not do it on the page. I prefer it on the site for the most part anyway. More functionality and the new extension makes it so easy and grabs an image so it looks nice!

In general, the experience on the page is not going to be as good as on the site but it does make a lot of the functionality possible right on the page which is fun. When importing to LingQ, the fact that you don't need to select the text, an image is grabbed automatically and the lesson opens in another tab all are significant improvements over the import bookmarklet, not to mention manually importing.
    February 2014
  • Administrator
    mark 32333 2042 3879
    One thing we should also point out is that this extension was begun by one of our members, http://www.lingq.com/profile/muurholm/. Thanks muurholm for all the help and for building up the momentum behind this enhancement!
    February 2014
  • eugrus 39874 16598 0
    All I get are the red lines around the words I click. But that's all.
    February 2014
    Eugrus, are you getting the same problem as I showed early in this thread in this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QZQK3gFg8o&feat...

Basically, from what I can tell, it seems like it takes forever to load if you have lots of LingQs and known words. And when I say forever, I mean entire minutes. This feature is excellent when it works, but unfortunately, when it takes minutes to load, it is useless.
    February 2014
  • eugrus 39874 16598 0
    Colin, I can't access your video :(
    February 2014
  • jolanda 37452 23820 13845
    @support

This morning I was using the new Extension! :-(

My plan was to read this Text."21 consejos para evitar el estrés y sentirse bien"

http://www.elblogalternativo.com/2010/12/02/21-...

I had problem to change the language from English to Spanish!!! 2 Min. the page was blocked.

I would like to read them "here". it was not possible.

so I had a look at my qick-import on LingQ. there I found the lesson

This was a process from total 5 Minutes!!!

to import the text with the old bookmarklet it needs only 1 minute! without searching the lesson in my imports!

j:-(
    February 2014
  • Administrator
    steve 66778 55048 20754
    My understanding is that this is a project started by one of our members, and completed by a LingQ programmer. It is not a priority right now. If it works for you fine. If it doesn't then just import the article. I don't think LingQ is going to spend any time on improving it right now.
    February 2014
  • Administrator
    steve 66778 55048 20754
    BTW Jolanda, i went to the blog site you mentioned. I changed the language to Spanish, no problem. Then I killed the google translate pop up bar. (I would actually like to remove it permanently.) Then I pressed "LingQ here".

Nothing happened. I went to LingQ on another Tab and saw the article in the LingQ Task Bar. I opened the article I had just imported and was ready to go. This is a big advantage since it enables us to open a quick import article in another Tab, which the bookmarklet does not allow us to do. This way I can go back to original source and import another article if I want.

I immediately went back to the original blog site, and pressed LingQ Here again and all the highlighting was there and I was ready to go. It may be that you need to press LingQ Here twice, with a little interval in between.
    February 2014
  • Administrator
    steve 66778 55048 20754
    Like most things it takes time to get used to. I am finding it really good for many articles I come across on the web.
    February 2014
  • Paule89 2352 16257 15088
    That extension is just what I wished for, thanks a lot :)
    I guess I´ll start using it in a month or so, when most bugs are fixed.^^

February 2014
  • Administrator
    steve 66778 55048 20754
    I suggest you use it now. I would not expect that much will change in a month.
    February 2014
    keke_eo 15410 5534 9473
    This is a great idea and new initiative! I installed Chrome on a few computers just for this.
    - the phrases collected for newly lingqed words are very short

Look forward to seeing this develop...
    February 2014
  • Administrator
    mark 32333 2042 3879
    Good point keke. We'll see if we can grab a similar length phrase as we grab when you create LingQs on the site.
    February 2014
  • yukiko 18150
    Hi,

I could use this function last weekend, but I can't make it work today :(

When I click the extention, a pop up comes up and says: "Authorize to use extention". Then I click "ok" button in the pop up, box, It disappears.
    March 2014
  • [[donhamiltontx]] 18662 45031 7145
    @Steve and All "Then I killed the google translate pop up bar. (I would actually like to remove it permanently.) "

To disable the Translate Bar, go to Settings >> Advanced Settings (see the bottom of the Settings page) >> Languages >> and uncheck "Offer to translate pages that aren't in a language I read."
    March 2014
  • Administrator
    mark 32333 2042 3879
    @yukiko - That seems strange. Works fine for me. Were you logged in to the site when you used it? You must be logged in for it to work.
    March 2014
  • yukiko 18150
    Oops, I didn't log in when I tried yesterday. Thank you, Mark!
    March 2014
  • Corin_Wright 2833 35835 22191
    I think it would be great if this feature was worked on more as it's such a cool idea which I feel makes studying with lingq alot more practical. I've used it a bit and it's working fairly well. All though I think sometimes words are highlighted that I already know as "new words". Still, fingers crossed it can be a continually improving feature.
    March 2014
  • Administrator
    mark 32333 2042 3879
    We have pushed a few updates for the extension to the Chrome store. You will need to quit and re-start Chrome to update your extension. The update contains fixes that now grab a full length phrase when you create a LingQ while LingQing on the page and also grabs an image from the page when importing to LingQ.
    March 2014
  • Will there be an update to the Chrome extension soon? It looks like it could be a very useful tool but unfortunately for me I'm getting the same issue as reported by eugrus and ColinJohnstone. Basically, only words that I've lingq'd appear and are shaded in yellow. Unknown words never appear with a blue background. When I click on a word, it becomes highlighted with a red box. Eugrus posted a video here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QZQK3gFg8o&fea...

I've uninstalled and re-installed the latest version of Chrome but this is still happening. I'm using Windows 7.
    April 2014
  • [[Ginkgo58]] 376 100585 144
    I get the message "The page you selected could not be found".
    April 2014
  • eugrus 39874 16598 0
    I've watched the video from Colin Johnstone now. The video is not mine, but it's exactly the problem I am experiencing. (Windows 8, any browser)
    April 2014
  • Oops, sorry Eugros. I got mixed up, it was Colin's video.

Strange, the link I posted seems to work for me.
    April 2014
  • [[Ginkgo58]] 376 100585 144
    I also watched the video. It is not the problem I am experiencing. I lose the page entirely.
    April 2014
  • Administrator
    mark 32333 2042 3879
    It does look like there is an issue with the Extension. Blue words no longer show up on the page for some reason. We will look into that. It was working properly up until recently. For now, you will have to import to LingQ with the extension to see the blue words and create LingQs. Eugrus, of course, the extension is only available on Chrome.
    April 2014