What do these "apple - symbols" mean side to the users' flags?
Fasulye 2707
I would like to know what the "apple - symbols" mean which we can now see side to the users' flags. For example my apple is green, other users' apples are red or beige. Is this a kind of secret code about the users? On my avatar pages I also have such an apple, for example on my foreign language avatars I have a wormy apple, does this indicate that I am a very bad LingQ - student? Or perhaps I better should say "rather inactive" student.

Fasulye
August 2014
    SanneT 487 343
    The apples are indeed a symbol of activity or progress (they are not a sign of a heinous sin committed against LingQ policy). :)
    While I find the whole row of information unnecessary on the forum - I still think they belong on our profile page - I am grateful for the benign bug that is in the system: otherwise we would see a lot more worm-eaten apples. At the moment the forum depicts us as one level better than we are (and overall it uses our most active language). Should you see a yellowish apple on one of my posts, it is really a green one in disguise.
    August 2014
    • johnnylooselips ca Canada 4426
      how many colours are there?
      August 2014
        SanneT gb United Kingdom 487 343
        Depending on our level of activity we have worm-infested green, green, yellowish - a bit like a golden delicious but stronger - followed by a very tempting red and then there's gold, followed by gold with a laurel wreath, also in gold!! I tend to be more on the wriggly worm side of the scale. I am too busy writing silly stuff on the forum, no time left for studying.
        August 2014
        • Elric br Brazil 17055 7024 5727
          I'm posting in this thread just to show off my shiny apple.
          August 2014
            Show-off! Congratulations!
            August 2014
              Bedankt!
              August 2014
              And, btw, 33333 words in French! Wow!
              August 2014
        • TroisRoyaumes ca Canada 48866 5337 8180
          Between red and gold is silver!

Jesus, Mary, Christ!
          August 2014
    • Fasulye de Germany 2707
      So the LingQ - system "takes revenge" on rather inactive LingQ - students like me (who has to do her language studies elsewhere) by displacing worm-eaten apples above my avatar on my profile. This is a bad joke! Is it my fault that Danish is not offered here and that the Norwegian library does not contain so much content which is suitable for me?
      August 2014
    Yutaka 15406 1621
    My apple next to the flag is yellowish; The apple above my avatar is grey or silver.
    August 2014
      Ress de Germany 32323 46745 12838
      I can see the gold apple, not just yellowish ;)
      August 2014
    SanneT 487 343
    @TroisRoyaumes Sorry, never ever saw a silver apple before (at least not on LingQ). If it calms you down, I know all the colours of the rainbow!
    August 2014
    • TroisRoyaumes ca Canada 48866 5337 8180
      I am all calm. I just want to use the opportunity to imitate sombody's religious mother. I don't get to use that phrase otherwise.
      August 2014
    • jungleboy pt Portugal 17463 6625 30820
      I had a silver apple a few weeks ago (over 2000 activity points) but then I had an overseas work assignment and stopped using lingQ for a couple of weeks and now I am all the way down to yellow :(
      August 2014
    • [[homofaber]] aw Aruba 0
      It is really interesting that grown-up persons are so intrigued by a silly avatar and a silly activity apple. The LingQ avatar system must have some special power to fascinate people... Green means wormy, BTW. Mine is always wormy.
      August 2014
      • Ozemite au Australia 2050 3530 561
        My sole purpose for learning Mandarin is to earn the pink polka dot dress for my avatar...^^
        August 2014
      I have a silver apple right now, but when I post on the forum it shows up as a golden one. Bug?
      August 2014
        It is a known 'bug' (I mentioned it somewhere on this page). I rather suspect a worm-eaten apple doesn't look good on the forum and so we all are bumped up one apple level...
        August 2014
          Blimey. What do I need to do to get a golden apple then, spend the whole day lingq'ing?
          August 2014
            alex ca Canada 1705 656 31848
            You're actually just right around the corner.... just get your Activity Score to 4000 and you'll have a real gold apple :)
            August 2014
              Nice.
              August 2014
              No fair! Now that I do have a real hard-won golden apple, I see the word "apple" beside my flag, instead of the golden apple image.
              August 2014
          Whilst you are correct on the worm-eaten apple not having the type of visual appeal we're looking for, I assure you we are not an anti-worm organization.
          August 2014
  • CrisSantos 6428 1091 10822
    Just want to say that one can read about the Avatar levels, apple colors and other interesting information on the page AVATAR FAQ http://www.lingq.com/help/avatar/ (BTW, last year it was really easy to find this kind of information on LingQ, but after the last two or three website updates, it has become difficult to find this page.)
    August 2014
      Thank you, Cris, your link gives a summary overview on the different apple shades. This topic is new for me and it has become more obvious, as the apples are now directly shown in the forum.
      August 2014
        I am now in the process of "un-worming" my Norwegian apple above my avatar because yesterday I discovered new Beginner 1 and Beginner 2 lessons in the Norwegian library. They seem to be new! :)
        August 2014
          What made you choose Norwegian instead of Swedish, Fasulye? I want to learn at least one of the Scandinavian languages, and I'm still undecided between the two.
          August 2014
            @Elric, I have already been a learner of Danish and last year one member of my German-Scandinavian Club attended a 3 days Norwegian crash course, so I decided to join the course. If he had attended a Swedish crash course instead, I would also have joined the course and I would now be learning Swedish. Initially I had a preference for Danish, but secondly I had no preference for either Norwegian or Swedish.
            August 2014
              Ah, ok, serendipity. I'm still undecided. On the one hand there's a literary tradition that I'd love to gain access to via Norwegian, on the other there's a much larger speaking population and lots of great movies that I love in Swedish. The only logical solution is to learn both.
              August 2014
    alex 1705 656 31848
    Just a heads up to everyone, the apples on the forum should now be fixed so it will now be showing your correct level :)
    August 2014
      Instead of fixing the real bugs here - at least the apples are now correct... hahaha!
      August 2014
        I'm not sure I follow - we've been actively fixing reported issues since our latest update, including many of the issues that you yourself addressed:
        - Forum showing "none" for Ask Your Tutor posts
        - Forum threads opening to latest post (and before Christmas at that!)
        - All posts showing by default on forum instead of having to scroll

If you're still encountering issues be sure to let us know :)
        August 2014
      Is this an advantage that we now see sooooooo many worm-eaten apples here on this forum - I doubt it!
      August 2014
      • Ozemite au Australia 2050 3530 561
        my apple is green with envy:)
        August 2014
          If you have different activity levels in different languages, you can change the colour of your apple! :) Now I could also "show off" a worm-eaten apple.
          August 2014
            Yours is green, mine is wormy ...
            August 2014