Olympic hockey
cgreen0038 11218 225 0
For those waiting for men's Olympic hockey to start. Make sure you watch to the end:
http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=558565
February 2014
  • Davidjvl 46301 44608
    I don't know anything about this, but I think I'll give watching the matches a try. How is our team looking?
    February 2014
  • cgreen0038 11218 225 0
    The U.S. has a pretty good team this year and should have a decent chance at getting a medal. I imagine that Canada is the favorite for winning the gold this year. They have a so many high quality players. Many of which you would want to build an entire team around if you were building a NHL team. That said, the US and Canada seem to play better in North America than on the larger European style ice surfaces like what they will be playing on in this tournament.

Sweden is probably another team that is a good bet to get a medal. After them, its hard to say. Finland, The Czech Republic, Slovakia, and of course Russia should all be pretty competitive in the tournament.
    February 2014
  • Administrator
    steve 53 92472 2847
    I hope Canada wins. I think Russia will win. But any of the top teams could win.

If Canada can't win I would like to see Russia take it, since they are playing in front of their own fans. And if Russia beats Canada I won't be upset, but Canada may not even get that far since all the top teams are very evenly matched I think.

A good part of my Russian learning came from reading and listening to Echo Moskvi. I would download the audio and texts of their interviews, almost every day for years.

I volunteered to maintain a blog for Echo during the Vancouver Olympics. I went around taking pictures, and wrote up blog posts that Evgueny corrected for me. Then one day I was phoned by Echo Moskvi and asked if I would do an interview on the telephone. I said yes. It was Vladislav Tretiak. We spoke for about 15 minutes in Russian.

He asked me if it would be like Pearl Harbour if Canada lost. I said, no, our hockey Pearl Harbour was the first game of the Super Series in 1972 when the USSR beat our pros in Montreal.

The next day I went to the Echo site to download our interview, and find out what I had said.

For those who don't know, Tretiak is probably still the best known Russian hockey player in Canada, and was the goaltender for the USSR in the Super Series. He is a member of hockey's Hall of Fame, and at present head of the Russian Ice Hockey Federation.

By the way it was great to see Vyacheslav Fetisov as one of the Olympic flag bearers on the opening ceremony.
    February 2014
  • nebulae 49
    Steve, it was Tretyak who lit the flame at the Opening!!! This is sooooooooo amazing that you spoke to him.
    February 2014
  • nebulae 49
    Russia for the GOLD!!!
    February 2014
  • cgreen0038 11218 225 0
    That's pretty cool that you were able to do that during the Vancouver Olympics Steve. I'll be rooting for the US of course but to be honest, I just enjoy watching hockey. Being from the Pittsburgh area and a longtime Penguins fan, I'm looking forward to seeing some of the players from the Penguins playing in the tournament. In particular, Olli Maatta of Finland. That guy seems to have come a long way in a short period of time. It will be interesting to see how he plays in the high pressure environment of the Olympics since he hasn't played in any NHL playoff games yet.
    February 2014
  • [[galina]] 43 1070
    @nebulae - it will be 4.30 am in Vancouver... But I'll do it! :)
    February 2014
  • nebulae 49
    Galina, you're a true trooper! :)
    It'll be 7.30 in NYC for the Russia-Slovenia match. I will be up.

February 2014
  • [[galina]] 43 1070
    @nebulae - :) with such a great support from all over the world Russia just MUST win! :)
    February 2014
  • cgreen0038 11218 225 0
    Speaking of the Russian team, does anyone other than me think its a bit strange that Alexander Ovechkin seems to be considered Russia's best player without question? Maybe I'm biased because I see Evgeni Malkin play on a regular basis but I think he is Russia's most talented hockey player. It could also be that Malkin seems to be a bit shy and tends to keep to himself and Ovechkin seems to love talking to the media. If you look at their career NHL stats, Malkin actually has a higher point-per-game average than Ovechkin. Malkin also has 2 scoring titles to the one that Ovechkin has and Malkin was voted MVP when the Penguins won the Stanley Cup.
    February 2014
  • cribbe 4626 35071 536
    Watch out for Finland and Sweden, they look pretty good i think (: Heja Kronorna, Leijonat!
    Right now I´m learning finnish by watching hockey on tv and listning on the radio, perfect combination).
    February 2014
  • CannIK84 674 15094 41372
    Finland has the best goaltenders so that could be a factor for their path to the gold.
    February 2014
  • ARay 1355
    I'm thinking Canada will take the gold, they're just too good. Sweden could be up there as well, looked great from what I was able to see of the game yesterday. I think the US has one of the best teams we've had in awhile but we're still too weak at the blueline.

cgreen0038: Datsyuk? Maybe I'm biased being a Wings fan, but I'd argue Datsyuk is just as talented as either Malkin or Ovi. I don't think it's a question that he is a better overall player on both ends of the ice, but Malkin and Ovechkin put up more numbers than Datsyuk.
    February 2014
  • Administrator
    steve 53 92472 2847
    Datsyuk is the best!
    February 2014
  • cgreen0038 11218 225 0
    @ARay - You do have a point there. Datsyuk is probably the best two way forward in the world. There are few players that I would rather have leading a team. Smart decision on Russia's part to make him captain. To be honest, I kind of forgot about him since he has been missing time due to injury problems. I'm guessing that he probably isn't at 100% for the games.
    February 2014
  • nebulae 49
    I have to admit that I didn't think Russia showed a fantastic game with Slovenia. They won by a lot and it looks like they had many realisation moments (is that the term?), but they were not awesome. Again, I not a super technical lover of hockey, I just go by my overall impression, and the impression was moderate.
    February 2014
  • nebulae 49
    With that said, they are still the best team in the world :) And yes, Galina, with the support they're receiving in their homeland and elsewhere they have got to win. It should at least help.
    February 2014
    ^Yes realisation as a term does exist, but I wouldn't use it in this context. Do you perhaps mean they had a lot of chances to create scoring opportunities?
    February 2014
  • nebulae 49
    CannlK84, I meant that they were in the opponent's zone a lot, shot at the gate and made passes a lot.
    February 2014
    Oh I see. In this case I would say that they had a lot of scoring chances and were attacking a lot.
    February 2014
  • I hope Russian team will win. At least this generation of players such Datsyuk, Ovi, Gino and others deserves their moment of glory. But objectively the team has a lot of drawbacks. So they mast act like usual Russians act - not because but against. But Canada seems terrific, USA also is not a present.
    February 2014
  • cgreen0038 11218 225 0
    I think Russia will probably play much better against the U.S. on Saturday than they did in their opening game against Slovenia. They were probably nervous playing in front of their home country. There is going to be a lot of pressure on them to win that the other teams in the tournament will not have to deal with. They certainly have plenty of players that can score goals and despite Varlamov's performance against Slovenia, I think Russia has good goaltending as well. I'm not sure if their defense is good enough though. They will need to play solid team defense to keep their opponents goal scoring down. This will be the most difficult for players like Ovechkin or Ilya Kovalchuk who play at their best when they are allowed to make risky plays on offense. If they can find the right balance for players like Ovechkin and Kovalchuk, Russia can go far in the tournament.
    February 2014
  • karinb 11159
    There is a very good new film about one of the best Russian hockeyplayer Valeri Kharlamov. I found this movie in Youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDrTlPK--fU Unfortunately it is in Russian and is without subtitles, but if you do some more search, you might find one with subtitles too. I didn't know anything about hockey before, but after seeing that movie got completely different understanding about the game. One of the best movies I have seen for a long time!
    February 2014
  • cistyzuby 15690 293
    USA USA USA I applaud the amazing effort by both teams,,,,,what a game Im mentally spent and its only 10 am here,,,wow
    February 2014
  • nebulae 49
    WHAT A GAME
    AMERICANS WILL NEVER BE FORGIVEN FOR NOT COUNTING OUR 3RD GOAL
    February 2014
  • nebulae 49
    СУКИ. Слов нет. Только мат.
    February 2014
  • djc463 14841 18870
    The third goal was due to the goal being off of it's pegs. In NHL play I think that would have been counted, but olympic rules says no goal (it has nothing to do with an "American judge"). It's unfortunate, but that is a correct call by the refs according to the book. Russia deserved the win, but I'm personally happy with the win :). Oshie was amazingly consistent with such a deep bag of tricks!
    February 2014
  • djc463 14841 18870
    The Russians played great, and hopefully we'll get to see a re-match of this game in the medal round!
    February 2014
  • nebulae 49
    Then they should rewatch all of the goals in all games to see where the gate is, because I do not trust the "American judge". They didn't count a foul when a player was literally pounding our player on the head. Our player didn't have the puck. The same situation with roles reversed several minutes earlier - they counted a foul against us. This was not fair judging.
    February 2014
  • nebulae 49
    Paul, by the number of gold medals, yes. Russia has the most amount of medals though.
    February 2014
  • Paule89 3066 15431 13998
    "Paul, by the number of gold medals, yes. Russia has the most amount of medals though."

Well, I can live with that.^^
    February 2014
  • Administrator
    steve 53 92472 2847
    Nebulae, please don't swear on our forum. I have deleted your post.
    February 2014
  • Administrator
    steve 53 92472 2847
    I didn't see the game. I don't understand why they don't just use neutral referees.

However, the disallowed goal was reviewed on video replay, apparently. There are also two referees when it comes to calling penalties. Were they both American?

From what I read, the Russians were better. In the end, these round robin games don't mean that much. It is the elimination round that matters. If they show the game again I will be watching.
    February 2014
    I don't like this criteria of ranking countries based on the amount of gold medals that they've won, because it disregards the amount of silvers and bronzes won by countries. Does anyone else think that there should be a points system instead? Example: 3 points for a gold, 2 for a silver, and 1 for a bronze.
    February 2014
  • Administrator
    steve 53 92472 2847
    @Nebulae

"WHAT A GAME
    AMERICANS WILL NEVER BE FORGIVEN FOR NOT COUNTING OUR 3RD GOAL"

Which Americans do you have in mind?
    February 2014
    And Steve is right: you don't get a medal for finishing at the top of your pool. Canada at the World Juniors usually win their group but then choke in the elimination rounds.
    February 2014
  • nebulae 49
    Steve, you know, those Americans that hold the same very odd view as you about luge: "fantastic spectator sport, so varied, so expressive, so artistic", "dignified", "much better than figure skating". Your posts to me sometimes look more like trolling. You won't provoke me into a discussion about Americans so you can be their noble defender.

As I'm reading more about today's match, I am learning that the NHL dictates the rules about refs and they always send their own so that their team is not cheated. Which is total BS. By that logic, each team should have their own ref or neither of them should. This practice must stop.
    February 2014
  • djc463 14841 18870
    @Steve: Unfortunately we ruined the ending of this game for you, but it was a really great one to watch. I thought that the officiating was fair, with one really weak penalty called on each team throughout the game. The problem with the third Russian goal is a problem with the rules. The Russians earned that goal, and it's unfortunate that it got called off, but they followed the rule book correctly (it seems to me). That aside, it was a real quality hockey game that's worth watching in its entirety. Its just a shame you won't have the same suspense watching it!

The Russian team showed great individual talent, but didn't play together as well as I think they need to in order to win gold (in my humble opinion. I played competitive hockey growing up but was never great, so I'm no expert). I also don't like the shootout rules that allow the same player to shoot multiple times in the sudden death rounds, but it made for an exciting duel.
    February 2014
  • cistyzuby 15690 293
    @Nebulae I fully understand being an emotional fan and being upset when your team loses such a close contest. But Russia didn't lose that game because of a biased referee. Your team was on the power play for the majority of the third period and didn't take advantage of it (one penalty you received was on a dive that was worthy of an Italian footballer,great acting). The Olympic rule states that if the net is off the mooring the goal is disallowed. Your complaining is what we call sour grapes.The americans played better as a team and should be complemented for overcoming adversity in the form of a gigantic and rabid hometown crowd. And no opponent should be called the B word. Stay classy and be happy that your country is showing its best side and hosting a great games!
    February 2014
  • Davidjvl 46301 44608
    "You won't provoke me into a discussion about Americans so you can be their noble defender. "
    You don't like us? OK, well, there must be something keeping you here in the US... I hope you're only referring to the team, and not the other 300 million of us.

"Steve, you know, those Americans that hold the same very odd view as you about luge: "fantastic spectator sport, so varied, so expressive, so artistic", "dignified", "much better than figure skating"."
    Your written English seems to be very good, so I'm quite surprised that you were unable to read into the obvious sarcasm present in our, or at least in my, joking about luge.
    February 2014
  • nebulae 49
    I will call the opponents what I want to call them. I have no desire to stay "classy". I am a Russian and I get to feel what I want, remember that for the rest of your life.
    GO RUSSIA.
    February 2014
  • djc463 14841 18870
    I like the emotions, but don't sweat the one loss, Russia can come back from this and get gold still. It should be stiff competition and they're going to have to really fight for it. And yes, Americans don't care about Luge :).
    February 2014
  • nebulae 49
    David, of course I meant everyone involved in today's match. But American team is one of my least favorite. A lot of emotion is attached to this - only some have to do with the team being our opponent. Just like in language learning: there are all sorts of things that dictate our preference for a specific language, like our experiences with the native speakers, for example.
    I don't know about luge. I let it slide precisely because you have got to give the benefit of a doubt to the author when you're reading their text on screen. But then he had to say something about me possibly dissing the entire nation - not giving me the benefit of a doubt.
    February 2014
  • Administrator
    steve 53 92472 2847
    Nebulae,

This is not a Russian forum. This is a forum in English with people from a variety of countries. You will have to try harder to understand what is written and the intent of the writer. Most people will understand that my comments about luge were sarcasm, since luge, and especially pairs luge, is, for most people, an expensive and ridiculous non-sport.

My suggestion that they should have four man luge, with four bodies piled on top of each other hurtling down the track, should have made this obvious.

You may be anti-American and anti-Latvian or whatever. You are welcome to express your views on whatever you like, without swearing, of course. You should be aware that most people are not so impressed by bombastic expressions of "ура патриотизм". We prefer reasoned arguments.

Complaining about the referee is normal in hockey. It happens in the NHL and it happens in international hockey. Canadians always feel the European referees are unfair in international competition. Parents complain about the referees in my grandson's hockey. There is not much to be done about referees. I agree, however, that they should only have neutral referees in these matches.

Now I have to see if I can find somewhere the game is shown again on TV. It was the middle of the night here.
    February 2014
  • Administrator
    steve 53 92472 2847
    I should add that I would have been cheering for Russia since I enjoy watching their skill. There are players on the US team that I don't like, especially Ryan Kessler who plays for my team Vancouver, and Dustin Brown of LA, low intelligence low skill players who bang and crash and yet rarely fight. Patrick Kane and Phil Kessel, on the other hand, are a delight to watch.
    February 2014
  • nebulae 49
    Wow Steve. Ура-патриотизм?! I see you're learning well from the russophobic Echo Moskvi. I suspected long ago from some of your videos and posts that you were an a**. You will have to try harder to be less of an a**, you russophobe. Don't you dare to call me anti anything, when you yourself are a russophobe.

February 2014
    ^How is he a Russophobe if he admits that Russia's skill is enjoying to watch?
    February 2014
    I think you should reduce your caffeine intake, nebulae.
    February 2014
  • nebulae 49
    Only after you stop using the word feminism as an insult and an insinuation, cheeky Paule89.
    February 2014
    I won´t. Deal with it.

February 2014
  • [[galina]] 43 1070
    Disappointed by the game. Don't want to express any bad feelings here and become personal. The game is the game. Everything can happen. Just one thought about the American referee. It is unfair and ridiculous and, I think, against any rules and even common sense to have a referee representing the same country as a playing team. Yes, a referee is supposed to be neutral, but come on... He is just a human no matter how hard he tries to be neutral. Very unfair and "anti-hockey" decision... But life goes on. Hope justice will prevail finally :)
    February 2014
    PS: I mean the "Men are inherently evil, they are the problem", hysterical feminism. The 1st and 2nd wave "Women should be allowed to vote, to work etc." in particular were awesome though. I *AM* a feminist by their standards.

I felt like I needed to clarify that, since you seem to be in "I´m going to tell everyone how much they suck"-mode right now.
    February 2014
  • nebulae 49
    Ah. So you don't like women. Just like I have said before, and you of course didn't deny it. Warning: a misogynist on board.
    By the way, I like your voice too much. That is why it pains me that your face is so ugly.
    February 2014
  • nebulae 49
    Not everyone. Just those who are asking for it. Besides, I am not the one who started it. I was just reacting to the game.
    February 2014
  • Administrator
    steve 53 92472 2847
    Galina, I agree that we should have neutral referees. I am not convinced that a referee from one of the participating countries will always favour that team. They are supposed to be professional, but it just looks bad.

However, in this case, from seeing the highlights on TV, it seems to me that all four on ice officials discussed the disallowed goal, and then it went to video replay. The rule is perhaps unfair, but it is the rule. The officials have no choice but to apply the rule. We can complain about the rule, but I don't see how we can complain about the decision based on that rule.
    February 2014
  • djc463 14841 18870
    How about we keep to online civility, drop the extra nonsense topics, and stick to hockey, with ad-hominems only involved if they're about players, coaches, or referees/judges that you dislike :).

My pet peeve with lingQ forums is that they tend to go tangential too easily, which is when an interesting topic like hockey in the Olympics can drift to other random topics and trivialities and become "безумно скучно."

I personally am just looking forward to the continuation of this tournament.
    February 2014
    Are you serious nebulae?
    February 2014
  • djc463 14841 18870
    I agree with Steve, this rule is unfair, and the Russians got robbed a hard-earned goal, but such is the rule (which should be modified in light of the current situation).
    February 2014
  • Administrator
    steve 53 92472 2847
    Here is someone I would like to see as coach of the Vancouver Canucks instead of the fool we now have.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zinetula_Bilyaletd...

Some of his and other Russian comments after the game.

"A great game today," echoed Russian coach Zinetula Bilyaletdinov, speaking through an interpreter. "I believe the spectators also loved it. A very dynamic game where both teams performed at their top level.

"It is only a preliminary-round game," said Ilya Kovalchuk. "Everything will be decided in the semifinal and the final."

One Russian reporter basically accused Quick of cheating, saying he has a reputation for knocking nets loose.
    Bilyaletdinov said he had not heard that, adding it was up to the officials to police play.

When the reporter insisted the officials had been duped, the Russian coach replied: "If there was an official's mistake, there should be people who will be judging the official's performance as well. But what can we do right now?"
    "I do believe there was a mistake by the referee but it's our job to prepare for the next match now."

Another reporter questioned why American Brad Meier was one of the two referees for the game.
    "Of course it would be probably more objective to have a referee from a neutral country, but I didn't think that it would really bother me," said the imperious Bilyaletdinov. "I believe the referee was a good one and I didn't pay much attention to that."
    The other referee was Marcus Vinnerborg of Sweden. The linesmen were Canadians.

The Russian villain was Radulov, who was in the penalty box for both American goals. Should the former Nashville Predator be scratched next time out, the coach was asked.

"Scratched? Yes I guess," Bilyaletdinov said. "Needs to be scratched. Among other things."
    February 2014
  • Administrator
    steve 53 92472 2847
    @djc463

I am not going to police or moderate these forums. They will meander where people want, just as a discussion in someone's living room. As long as we avoid foul language and keep the insults within reasonable limits, I am all for a free for all.
    February 2014
    "As long as we avoid foul language and keep the insults within reasonable limits, I am all for a free for all."

Agreed. You shouldn´t communicate with strangers on the Internet if you can´t handle being insulted from time to time.
    February 2014
  • Administrator
    steve 53 92472 2847
    I read another article on this, and the issue seems to whether the US Goaltender deliberately pushed the net off its moorings.

""Quick said he had no idea why the Russian goal was waved off, “until after and I turned around and saw (the post) was off. I know that immediately after they scored, somebody skated through the crease. I don’t know if he bumped it or if it happened after or before. It’s just a lucky break, I guess, and you need to catch some lucky breaks to win the game.”

The Russians weren’t buying it.

“I play with him,” said Quick’s L.A. teammate, defenceman Slava Voynov. “I know his style.”

“Nobody touch the net. Their goalie touch the net and put it out,” said Alex Ovechkin. “But the referee have to see it and at least give him two minutes, you know?”"

If Quick has a reputation for doing this, an NHL referee is more likely to know that.

I am not convinced that the nationality of the referees had anything to do with this, especially since there are two referees, and the off-ice officials also reviewed the goal. If one of the referees had been Russian, but the other Swedish, and the same had happened to the US team, I am sure there would have been some squawking from Americans but I doubt that the Russian official could be reasonably blamed.
    February 2014
  • djc463 14841 18870
    I'm not asking for anyone to "police or moderate" anything. If a conversation started getting out of hand or away from a topic of my interest in a living room (to use your metaphor), I would attempt to refocus the conversation or keep things civil. I could, of course, simply stop following this thread, but I enjoy reading about hockey, and reading other's opinions about hockey (I was unaware that there was an American official, and your comment about the head coach and his class-act comments was also very interesting).

Back to Hockey, tomorrow's Canada vs. Finland match should be fun to watch.
    February 2014
  • djc463 14841 18870
    I also didn't know this about Quick's reputation. From rewatching replays it doesn't seem intentional, but the professionals would know far better than I would, and as an American I have a bias :). He did a good job in the game and had to come up big in the shootout.
    February 2014
  • nebulae 49
    "I am not going to police or moderate these forums. They will meander where people want, just as a discussion in someone's living room."

The only thing that will not be tolerated by Steve is ура-патриотизм - or jingoism as the so-called liberals decided to call it - coming from Russians. Ура-патриотизм is a common insult widely and frequently used by Russian so-called liberals whenever anything Russian is being praised or anything good happens in that country. I was blamed for being enthusiastic about my country's performance. The liberals have taken it upon themselves to decide what the Russians can be happy about and what degree of patriotism is appropriate.

These Olympic Games have been EXTREMELY politicized in the Russian and foreign media. Remember the same few photos of brown water and such in a Sochi hotel that are now world-famous and that were meant to tell you that Sochi and, by extension, Russia is a mess? It is, they say, Putin's personal fault and failure. The polarizing of the Russians is the worst I have ever seen. There are no more those left that simply root for the team - now it is a battle, a verbal war between the so-called liberals and everyone else. When we (I am in the "everyone else" camp) are happy for the successes of our team, here come the so-called liberals. They have gone as far as to say that the 15-year-old figure skater who had earned the highest points, is an enabler to Putin's bloody regime, just like a Germany's winning skater in the 1936 Olympics was Hitler's enabler. When someone supports a Russian athlete who does well, we are called ура-патриоты by the people who say such anti-Russia nonsense that has nothing to do with reality.

Echo Moskvi is ultra liberal, considered russophobic and even an enemy by many (they have a great website for language learning though). Steve, being Echo Moskvi's connoisseur, cannot not know how and why ура-патриотизм is used. It is a condescending, russophobic insult. He could've told me that I bore everyone with my posts about the Games, but he chose to devalue my sincere rooting for the Russians on this forum.

About the game:

It's an awful rule that can be destructive to the players' morale. You skate to death trying to score - and then they don't count that hard-earned goal. The so-called liberals are ecstatic, no doubt.
    February 2014
  • cribbe 4626 35071 536
    " That is why it pains me that your face is so ugly."

??

I don´t like reading stuff like this, it makes me really angry (and sad actually) I just can´t see the funny part in it,
    its real people here in the forum...

Tomorrow, Im heating my sauna and Hope that Finland wins (3-2)....
    February 2014
  • cistyzuby 15690 293
    Cribbe good luck tomorrow, you've got a good team This thread has angered and saddened me also.The sauna might be the best antidote to all this vitriol.
    February 2014
  • Administrator
    steve 53 92472 2847
    @nebulae

I only edited your use of foul language. You can be as emotionally patriotic as you want. When you make statements like "AMERICANS WILL NEVER BE FORGIVEN FOR NOT COUNTING OUR 3RD GOAL" , or on another thread re the Lativan hockey team "boo Latvia", I sort of feel that your patriotism is just a tad excessive for my liking, and I will say so. But hey, say whatever you want, just keep it clean.

Before the hockey tournament started I said on this forum that if Canada could not win, I hoped Russia would in front of their home fans. Russophobe ?

As to the critical press reports at the beginning of the Sochi games, the same happened in Vancouver. I believe the Guardian in the UK called it the worst winter games ever two days into the games. This was not a Canadaphobe plot, just journalists looking for dirt.

Echo Moskvi is indeed a liberal radio station. It is great for any student of Russian. It offers a wide variety of opinion, from right wingers like Prokhanov to left wingers like Udaltsov, from right wing wingnut Zhirinovski to Communist Zhuganov, government ministers including anti-Westerners like Rogosin and excessively pro-Westerners journalists like Albats, cynics like Shenderovich, economists like Yashin, former ministers of the government in the 90's like Nemtsov, and Illarianov and I am only going from memory. The station covers politics, world affairs (Mirsky on the middle east is awesome), economics, history and more. Love it and miss it now that I am doing Korean.

We received permission to put their content in our library. So please, Russian learners, help yourselves.

As a liberal radio station, associated in the minds of many Russians with the "bad 90s" it is largely unpopular. Yet it has the largest listening audience of any radio station in Moscow. It's majority owner is Gazprom, and it is very much a part of the intellectual scene in Russia.

February 2014
  • nebulae 49
    cribble & cistyzuby: You're right. It was a gross thing to say on my part. I have deleted it. Paule89, your face is fine. In case you care and in case I hurt you. I mean it. There is really nothing wrong with your face. But I meant everything else. Just should've picked a less sadistic way to reply to your mean comments and your rude comment on my wall.

By the way, the stuff that they do in porn videos also happens to real people. Just a food for thought.
    February 2014
    "Paule89, your face is fine. In case you care and in case I hurt you. I mean it."

Yeah, never mind.

" ...your mean comments"

What do you mean? The caffeine-thing? That was a joke. Your posts had kind of an...excessive feel to them...that´s why.
    It kinda escalated after that...

"your rude comment on my wall. "

I wrote "I´m still curious how the heck I´m misogynist, by the way" and I still wanna know. I even wrote "The 1st and 2nd wave "Women should be allowed to vote, to work etc." in particular were awesome though. I *AM* a feminist by their standards." and then you called me ugly and misogynist. That made me curious.^^

I don´t think I´m the only one who uses "feminist" as an insult while thinking that women should have equal rights, by the way. Many people I know associate feminism with misandry, rather than emancipation.

"By the way, the stuff that they do in porn videos also happens to real people. Just a food for thought. "

What are you talking about? I don´t remember ever talking about Porn on LingQ.
    February 2014
  • Administrator
    steve 53 92472 2847
    Meanwhile on hockey, if the US goalkeeper deliberately pushed the net off its moorings then he was liable for a delay of game penalty, I believe. I think, however, that the goal would still not have counted. I could be wrong.

When I see the replay, and in the light of Voynov's comments, it does look like he could have done it on purpose. Anyway, if Russia and the US meet again in this tournament, I would think that the Russians will be even more fired up.
    February 2014
  • ARay 1355
    nebulae

This whole exchange is absurd. What went from a discussion of the great sport of hockey and the olympics has turned into the ramblings of an upset insane person throwing insults around which have no factual basis. I understand national pride and being upset at a team loosing, but I also find such ignorance displayed on a forum which has it's foundation in the study of other cultures to be saddening. I also see you live in the United States. If you hate us so much, you are welcome to return to Russia.

Now, if this is any consolation to you, as an American, I have to agree that it was absurd to have an American referee officiating that game.
    February 2014
  • Administrator
    steve 53 92472 2847
    ARay, I think this discussion is a little off the rails but I think the terms like "insane" and "hate" are not going to bring us back on track. As far as I know, a person who resides in the US, or even is a US citizen, is not obliged to like all things about the US, ditto in Canada. They are certainly not required to cheer for the US or Canada in hockey.

I know a Swede of Finnish origin who always cheers for Finland when they play Sweden in hockey. BTW the game tomorrow between Canada and Finland should be a humdinger.

As for Canada and Russia, our goaltenders have started practicing how to dislodge the goal without anyone noticing when the other team is about to score.

Seriously though, for all we know, if we sat around a dinner table we would all be the best of friends. There is something about the anonymity of the internet that sometimes leads to things getting out of hand.
    February 2014
  • Prinz_Skogsvin 6511 13 2004
    I was a little confused by Nebulae's assertion that Steve is a russophobe.

(But then again, I once posted under the name "Teutophobe Jones" - which might be considered a little ironic by those who know me well...)
    February 2014
  • cgreen0038 11218 225 0
    To be honest, I was a little confused when the goal was under review. The announcers on NBC (the US broadcast) seemed to be confused about it as well. They thought they might be reviewing a high-stick on the puck but replayed the video and clearly that wasn't the case. They didn't figure out why the goal was disallowed until after the refs made the announcement. The goal was clearly off its moorings but its confusing because in the NHL, the goal would have been allowed. The goal being off had nothing to do with the play and to be honest, it's a dumb rule. But it is what the rule is. I'm not sure how it would matter who the ref is for how that play was called. It net was clearly off after all.
    February 2014
  • ARay 1355
    Steve, perhaps insane was a bit much, but she certainly wasn't being rational. I would expect and hope that she would cheer for Russia and I appreciate her pride in her homeland. America is a nation of immigrants and I am proud of my Irish, German and Swedish heritage and I cheer for those teams or athletes that represent those nations when the United States is not in contention. My point was, this forum and language learning as a whole celebrates other cultures. I know I for one love studying other cultures, I will be living in Germany this summer, I spend a great deal of time reading about other countries, and would like to eventually travel to more countries and learn more languages. I agree we would all be great friends if we met in person, and I operate under the assumption that we already are as we share a common passion, but when someone begins throwing around personal attacks at multiple people they should be called out on it. Those comments against you and Paule were absolutely uncalled for.

That game should be great, sadly I don't have any way to watch it. I know his production is down a bit but I love that Selanne is still going strong. Such a great player.
    February 2014
  • nebulae 49
    @ARay: Such a cultured and open-minded person. Did you pat yourself on the back today?

"If you hate us so much, you are welcome to return to Russia."

When you get off your high horse, you can actually read my posts to see what my stance on America is. The key word is ambivalence. Hope this isn't too nuanced for you to wrap your mind around. And for a guy so tolerant (does the word diversity make your heart beat faster too?), you were awfully quick to send me packing.

"I agree we would all be great friends if we met in person, and I operate under the assumption that we already are."

We sure are. You, dearest, are my best friend.

@Paule89: You're lying. You used a curse word on my wall, not the innocuous "heck".
    About porn: I suggest you take a stroll down the memory lane of this thread - ARay will keep you company - and see that the reference to porn wasn't addressed to you. To avoid awkward silences, you could tell ARay what the EU thinks about diversity.

@Steve: You still should not have used russophobic rhetoric against me.
    You paint a rosy picture of the EM and ignore the hate they throw at their own country daily. Maybe this is due to the fact that you have a working relationship with them, or maybe you agree with them, I don't know. After all, I don't belong to the intellectual circles by definition (that you gave me).

This thread saddened me too. I was first shamed, then I was attacked, and my posts have been mangled and misquoted. Yet, if all were distilled, what sent the thread into a tumble were my words that the American team and refs will not be forgiven. Y'all done well, and I am too insane for LingQ forum. Bye!

February 2014
    "To avoid awkward silences, you could tell ARay what the EU thinks about diversity." nebulae

Uhm...what does the EU think about diversity?
    February 2014
  • djc463 14841 18870
    After watching the Russians today, my opinion still says the same: they're going to have to play better together going forward. In overtime their individual skill made them dominant, but they just weren't clicking during regular play. Now back to Canada-Finland overtime.
    February 2014
    I didn't expect a D-man to score multiple goals. Great game by the Finns nonetheless and Rask looked pretty solid.
    February 2014
  • ARay 1355
    @nebulae

No, I just don't like obnoxious mean people.

@Paule89

I suppose you will have to tell me, apparently I'm just an unintelligent silly American who daydreams about diversity all day long..
    February 2014
  • Administrator
    steve 53 92472 2847
    The Canadians played dumb. I haven't yet seen the Americans , and saw a little bit of the Swedes, but Canada is going to have to generate more offense on the attack, and not try to score so often from wrap arounds, poor angle shots, and general scrums around the net, IMHO.
    February 2014
  • Administrator
    steve 53 92472 2847
    Nebulae, we don't have to agree on anything, other than a common interest in learning languages.
    February 2014
  • cistyzuby 15690 293
    Living just outside of Boston I have had the pleasure of watching Tuuka Rask live and on tv many times. He is a streaky goalie, but when on, he is a joy to watch. When a team has him and my favorite hockey player Big Z Chara on defense they have a great chance for the Cup.By the way, all Hockey announcers why can't you pronounce Chara's name?? Its not Chara like in charcoal its CHHH ara like in Lo CH Ness. This brutalization of slavic names would be acceptable if there were one Slav in the NHL,but they are legion in that fine league. Jezisi, they can't even get Slovak right. End of rant :))
    February 2014
  • dooo 0 21 9383
    Canada s-q-u-e-a-k-s by Latvia.... 2-1

Sheesh
    February 2014
    If they play like that against the Americans, they're done. I think the biggest shocker was Finland's victory over Russia given that they were missing four of their stars.
    February 2014
  • cistyzuby 15690 293
    A catastrophe for Russia. They played like an All Star team , all individual play hardly any teamwork and the defense was "nebulous" at best.It should be a wild one between the US and Canada. Good Luck Canadian friends !

February 2014
  • dooo 0 21 9383
    "the defense was "nebulous"

I see what you did there :)
    February 2014
  • Administrator
    steve 53 92472 2847
    I think the Finns were hungrier. There is always more pressure when you are expected to win. I only saw the last ten minutes of Finland Russia but felt the Russians allowed the Finns to beat them to the puck quite often, and were not well organized in their attack. Surprised.

I expect that Canada will get it together for Friday. Should be a good game. Anything can happen in a single hockey game.
    February 2014
  • cribbe 4626 35071 536
    can we please shift one team against another? That way we could have
    both Finland and Sweden in the final.. (:

No but seriously I think (at this point) that Usa and Finland "deserves" a gold medal more than the other two.
    On the other hand both Sweden and Canada have done exactly what they need, to reach the semi finals, nothing more nothing less.
    Im not worried about Canada, and with that I mean quite the opposite, for them it begins now.. but sweden...
    they really need to sharpen those skates now..

February 2014
    ^Yeah it would be nice to see either USA or Finland to win. It seems that the Finns can get things together by playing strong defense and we all know that defense wins championships.
    February 2014
  • blindside70 2899 3970 4526
    I'd like to welcome Justin Bieber to his new full time home in the United State...
    February 2014
  • cistyzuby 15690 293
    Im ok with losing to a fine team like Canada , but no I will never accept that horror show Dweeber as a full time American. I signed the online deportation request and I suggest that all Americans keep the pressure on the White House to boot him outta here. :)))
    February 2014
  • dooo 0 21 9383
    I only could watch a few minutes of the game but I felt like this was the right result. Canada seemed steady and solid for the most part.
    February 2014
    In addition to that Bieber bet, Obama now owes 2 cases of booze to our Prime Minister :P
    February 2014
    Well at least the red white and blue has ice dancing.
    February 2014
  • cribbe 4626 35071 536
    Sweden with a population of 9 million is in Olympic Hockey final.
    On the other side: Canada.
    And if THAT wasnt scary enough; ok let us have three out of four judges from Canada...

A challenge?

Couldn't be any better in a swedish perspective!
    Good luck Canada, and lets hope for a memorable fight!

I think I have to go and forwarn my neighbors before the game begins..
    February 2014
  • cribbe 4626 35071 536
    Congratulations to Canada!
    I take my hat of.
    That was a lesson in how to play hockey.

Still really nice to see both Sweden and Finland in the top 3!!

And thank you cgreen for this thread.
    February 2014
  • Administrator
    steve 53 92472 2847
    I get a kick out of reading the Swedish newspaper Aftonbladet. There is very little about the actual game, no mention of who played well. Instead the sports section is focused on two issues. 1) 3 out of 4 officials being Canadian, which I consider a poor decision by the organizers, but had no influence on the game. and 2) that one of their better players, Backstrom, was not allowed to play for having used a banned substance, and the team was informed just before the game. There is even the suggestion that Canada somehow arranged this since "they always whatever it takes to win", quoting Tallinder, who plays in the NHL!!

So much whining. Players also get injured,. All teams have to face adversity.

In fact the Swedes were not in the game. Losing one player does not explain that. They were sloppy, and except for the first 10 minutes mounted very little in the way of offense. If Sweden had dominated, I can't imagine a Canadian newspaper spending so much ink on excuses. Most would have congratulated the Swedes on playing well.
    February 2014
  • GregD 18501
    Congratulations to the Swedes, Finns, Americans, and Canadians. I certainly enjoyed the last couple rounds of international hockey more than I had expected. I have previously likened Olympic play to that found during the NHL All-Star break (which I loathe) but surprisingly found a fantastic level of competition. As I was a young lad during the Lake Placid games it's going to take an awful lot to beat that feeling....

It is still amazing to me how these players can take up so much room on a larger sheet of ice. They are simply that good.

That being said. It will be nice to get back to the NHL schedule and some familiar line combinations! It will certainly be a hectic pace to the playoffs.
    February 2014
  • cribbe 4626 35071 536
    @Steve
    I agree with you.
    Even if we had five Bäckström and four swedish officials on the ice, canada would have won anyway.
    Bäckström is a good player, but he´s not Peter Forsberg.

But about Tallinders quoting, when you read it closer, he actually says
    "we lost against a better team". He do say something about that canada do what ever it takes to win,
    but I think Aftonbladet, like so many times before, hear what they want to hear.

February 2014
  • Administrator
    steve 53 92472 2847
    As to the issue with Backstrom, I just spoke to Mark who played hockey internationally for Team Canada. He said that in any international tournament the players were constantly being told, in great detail which medications they could not take. I cannot understand that Backstrom could be in a situation where he could take a cold medicine that contained a banned substance. That is the fault of the Swedish organization.

Reading further it appears to be an allergy medicine that he has been taking for years and there is no problem in North America. It seems to me that the Swedish team should have asked everyone what medication they were taking and checked.

On the other hand the comments of Tallinder are really not acceptable

”Brukar vara så i Kanada...”
    Och när Sportbladet möter Buffalo Sabres-backen Henrik Tallinder efter matchen riktade 35-åringen sina misstankar om att Kanada ansträngt sig för att stoppa Bäckström från spel.
    – Jag vet inte vad Kanada håller på med eller hur de har fått reda på. Det var något med en astmamedicin som Bäckis brukar ta, säger han.
    Men tror du att de har blivit tipsade?
    – Jag vet faktiskt inte. Vi kan ju spekulera hur mycket som helst.
    Är det inte lite märkligt?
    – Jo, det är märkligt. Men vad det än krävs för att vinna. Det brukar vara så i Kanada.
    February 2014
    I think someone should introduce "Ice-Rugby" to the Winter Olympics - that way countries like Britain, France, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa might have an outside chance of winning something! :-D

February 2014
  • Administrator
    steve 53 92472 2847
    "Jag tror att Tallinder har rätt tyvärr. Тrots att Aftonbladet kvar och gnäller om det här, som är lite konstigt, brukar händer det överallt. "

I am sorry I am not aware of any example in hockey of teams conspiring to arrange for the doping suspension of opposition players. What exactly are you talking about?
    February 2014
  • ARay 1355
    Congrats to Canada on the win, figured they would take gold again but expected Sweden to have a better showing. I have to say I was very disappointed with our effort against Finland. However, it was great to see Selanne end his career on such a strong performance. Great player.
    February 2014
  • cribbe 4626 35071 536
    @ Steve
    It must be really nice to be able to read so good swedish. In situations like this you can really get a better picture
    of whats going on. No matter if its "just" hockey or some political situation somewhere. This is also one of mine biggest motivation to learn languages, to be able to do that, at least in 4-5 diffrent languages. (yes you can use google translate, but its really not the same thing).

Aftonbladet, however, have lost my respect many years ago, better places is (maybe) swedish televisions (svt.se) news site, or one of the other paper dn.se/svd.se

@Aray, yes great player. Teemu Selänne, olympic debut Albertville 1992.
    February 2014
  • Administrator
    steve 53 92472 2847
    Yes Selanne is an amazing genius and a remarkable person.

@cribbe Agreed that Aftonbladet is a sensationalist paper but I am disappointed in what Tallinder had to say and also the hype about the Canadian officials for the final, as if somehow the Canadians would use whatever means, fair or foul, to win. As Mats Sundin pointed out in another interview, the choice of Canadian officials would have no impact on the game, and if anything these officials would probably go overboard in favouring Sweden to avoid being accused of favouring Canada.

In any case it was not a wise idea to have all officials from one of the competing countries in my view, but that was the decision of the organizers, not a Canadian plot.

Here is an article from a national Canadian paper on the Backstrom situation. It seems that Backstrom has a lot of sympathy amongst hockey circles, not only in Sweden.

http://www.canada.com/olympics/columns/blatchfo...
    February 2014
  • lovelanguagesIII 40 2 137
    ad Steve: Interesting article.

On a different note, is "an historic night" just a typo or is there a rule I'm missing that says that you use "an" in front of "historic"?

As far as I know you use "an" only in front of vowels (if pronounced as such) or words where the first consonant is not pronounced (such as in "honour").

February 2014
    I'd say "an" is optional in front of a word beginning "h". (No idea whether there's a rule about it!)
    February 2014
    (...) I'd say "an" is optional in front of a word beginning "h". (No idea whether there's a rule about it!) (...)

Ah, ok, I did not know that. Thank you.

I would have always said "an honour" but "a historic moment", just as I say "a unification process", but "an understatement".

Live and learn (or "one lives and learns" as you probably say in the UK ;-))

February 2014
    Now that I think about this I'm not sure whether this isn't rather arbitrary: I don't think anyone would ever say "an hill", for example. But "an hotel", "an historic moment" would be fine. Could we say "an hippopotamus"?? Mmm...perhaps...
    February 2014
    Really? You would say "an hotel"? I have never heard that before. But there is a first time for everything, I guess....
    February 2014
    I would say either "a hotel" or "an hotel" depending on my general mood (or on sentence rhythm, etc..)

I guess the safe approach is to stick to "a" - that way you'll never be wrong ;-)
    February 2014
  • Davidjvl 46301 44608
    I say both "a hotel" and "an hotel" depending on the context, but I have no idea of the rule.

I've been trying to think of words that start with "hi," and I think I would always precede it with "a."
    A hippo, a hippy, a histogram, a history, a hijacking.
    February 2014
    I'd personally never say "an hotel" but what do I know? I was sure tbe US would medal in the Olympics.
    February 2014