How to use Review feature?

Hi, I’m new in LingQ, I can learn a lot of vocabularies using it, but I really don’t know how to use the Review feature.
When I’m reading text, I highlight many vocabularies, but I think review vocabularies separated is not an efficient way to learn, then I try to highlight the sentence which contain the word which I want to learn, but sometime the sentence which I want to highlight, is so long, then I can’t mark it, I can just highlight a part of the sentence, I’m getting very uncomfortable to use it.

How do you guys are highlighting and reviewing the vocabularies/sentences with LingQ?

1 Like

Hi ixuancheng,
You are allowed to highlight maximum 9 words at once while going through lessons and create LingQ of it. You can also use “Related Phrases” option to create LingQs from phrases that include selected word.

2 Likes

We don’t recommend highlighting sentences. You are better off highlighting groups of 3 to 5 words that you can learn and then use. Try to find common components rather than sentences. It is also useful to review words separately. It is good to review phrases and words and keep in mind that reviewing in context while re-reading or reading new articles is where you will do most of your reviewing.

2 Likes

So for example the word which I want learn in the sentense “a lot of people dislike that kind of instruction” is “dislike”, then can I just highlight “dislike that kind of instrutruction”?

I have another question about highlight vocabulary, I’m not sure, but I think study by vocabulary is not efficiency, when I try to review vocabularies, sometime flashcard show me the vocabulary in my native language, but I can’t know which English vocabulary is asking for, because sometime I’m not sure which one similar vocabulary is asking, how do you guys review vocabulary? or is recommended only review with group of word?

1 Like

Yes, you can highlight “dislike that kind of instruction” although in this case there is no real phrase there. I would just LingQ dislike and move on. You will see this word in future lessons as well and over time it will become clear what it means. In the review, you can go to your Settings and select Cloze test only to test it in sentences. You can customize how your review sessions work. You can also turn of the Reverse flashcard option so you don’t see the definition in your own language first. Although in the end it doesnt’ matter that much if you get the flashcards right. Just doing them lets you review the vocabulary. Then you also review in future lessons and over time, you will learn the words.

1 Like

Thank you so much! Reverse flashcard, I think that’s what I need! Actually I have use Anki for long time, and it’s working for me, and I’m learning how to use LingQ.

Your tips is very helpful for me! Thanks a lot