I've done it!
SanneT 487 343
I've started a blog again! You might be relieved, since it might stop me from over-posting on here :)

Am so excited. It is mostly about writing (to which I came thanks to LingQ). Have a look into the "More about this blog page" where I tell the LingQ bit. I hope you like it.

http://www.notanotherblog.eu
August 2014
  • Jingle 2207 23002 21049
    Thank you, SanneT.
    August 2014
  • Administrator
    steve 55458 2826 92309
    I do most of my reading in foreign languages but your blog has so intrigued me that I will follow you in English! Congratulations on starting what is shaping up to be one of those rarities, an interesting blog.
    August 2014
    SanneT 487 343
    Thank you so much! I was shaking for hours yesterday afternoon once it was time to press the button ...
    August 2014
  • Cosmo678 5507 2295 27697
    I admire people who write as you do. Unfortunately I can’t but I will certainly read the next chapters of your blog. (or do I have to say your novel?)
    August 2014
  • Prinz_Skogsvin 6511 13 0
    That sounds like the beginning of a very interesting life-story. So was your father really in the "SS-Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler"? (I bet he was getting some serious stick from teenage children by the mid 60s!!)
    August 2014
    SanneT 487 343
    I'll combine my replies as not to generate too many emails:

Thank you for the roses!

@Cosmo678 : Blog will do nicely!

@Prinz_Jogi : Yes, he was. I don't want to burden you with my teenage angst just yet, that bit will go into another set of stories. They are written already, but will have to wait until I have grown up dysfunctionally.

The next story will be more of a scene-setter, less exciting perhaps, but necessary.

August 2014
    ColinJohnstonov 51559 7603 179
    Excellent! I can't wait to read more.
    August 2014
      ColinJohnstonov gb United Kingdom 51559 7603 179
      Plus you have the domain .eu when you are living in England. This will annoy Jay!
      August 2014
  • Imani 25615 16084 40408
    Nice!

[East coast: nice = wonderful, great, excellent, beautiful, awesome,…]
    August 2014
    berta 1121 18478 15495
    Congratulations Sanne! ;)))
    August 2014
      SanneT gb United Kingdom 487 343
      Well, seeing that it was you who made it possible: Thank you and Congratulations, Berta!
      August 2014
        berta es Spain 1121 18478 15495
        You made it possible! I'm just a tool :) :***
        August 2014
          We have argued about this before! Without you I would not have had followed up my vague idea of having a blog and without you I wouldn't have that amazing design! So it is a win-win situation, I'd say :)
          August 2014
            berta es Spain 1121 18478 15495
            Yes you're right! it's a win-win situation ;)*
            August 2014
  • Elfgal 0
    Congratulations Sanne and I've finally found out your nationality. All I knew about you was that you were not a native English speaker which I never would have thought from reading your posts on Lingq ! When will you be posting again ? I am eager to know more !
    August 2014
      Thank you for the comment and the rose! Am on heavy grandmother duty at the moment. Hope to have something ready for Thursday. The stories are shaping themselves as I re-read them. It is fascinating.
      August 2014
  • Ozemite 2050 60 3530
    Oh my goodness, this is the makings of a *novel* that I'd love to read!!! It's so wonderful! Never knew you were such a gifted writer. Serious!

Btw, my relatives told me years ago that one of ours was an SS guard in a concentration camp:(

I laughed about the "down there"! I can still hear my grandmother's voice.... she'd say "front passage" with a hoarse voice, almost spitting the words out. I'm sure she would have passed out if someone said vagina, lol.

I think the older British still secretly hate the Germans... my first husband & his British relatives used to poke fun at my "high, Kraut German forehead", as well as my German maiden name - even though I'm at least 7th generation Australian. Sheesh. But then again, they'd sit around horrifying me with their talk about "white people" and "half-castes" etc at the dinner-table. (Disgusting racism!)

You really know how to paint a picture with your words! Congratulations, Sanne, because your blog is a winner!
    August 2014
    SanneT 487 343
    What is the form? I have written a bit more. Do you mind if I updated this thread once a week or so? (I should hate to be accused of advertising :))
    August 2014
      alex ca Canada 1705 656 31848
      Please feel free to post when you have updates :)
      August 2014
        Thank you. I am aiming to update twice a week (Mondays & Thursdays). Today I posted the first half of Chapter 3. It is a bit not suitable for young minds.
        August 2014
    SanneT 487 343
    Today there's a personal take on language learning and Part 2 of "A Multi-National Pregnant Pause". It is still harrowing.
    August 2014
    • Ozemite au Australia 2050 60 3530
      It truly was a very lovely read - you certainly know how to paint a picture:)
      August 2014
    SanneT 487 343
    There's only one article today since story no. 4 "The mystery of the Birth Certificate" was quite a marathon to write and I don't want to swamp people. Feedback, as always, is welcome. If anyone has a polished piece of writing on either writing or learning a language, have you thought of being a guest on my blog? Which language? That depends, I think I would love to be able to read it myself, therefore, German, English, French and Spanish. I'd also like something in Swedish, but there I cannot judge quality and would have to rely entirely on you.
    August 2014
    • Ozemite au Australia 2050 60 3530
      #4 was a breath-taking read. I can tell that you have no idea how good you are. I couldn't stop reading until the end. You paint such a vivid picture each time, that we can almost see and hear everything you describe.
      August 2014
        Thank you for the lovely compliment. I hope I can keep up with the promise of the early stories :)
        August 2014
    SanneT 487 343
    Had a bit of a marathon again with Story no. 5 "Inventory of a Small World" and a slight hiccup in the running order of today's other post "Tools for Writing II". Comme d'habitude: feedback is appreciated (even, heaven forbid, if you don't like something). :)
    August 2014
    SanneT 487 343
    The saga on notanotherblog.eu continues, it's still Opa's turn. Hope you (continue to) enjoy reading about him, he was larger than life.
    September 2014
    SanneT 487 343
    Beware! The second of today's stories, no. 11, is definitely morbid! And no, I never set fire to a chicken nor did I maltreat any other animals :)
    September 2014
    • KnowItSome us United States 69 330 512
      Fascinating: We don’t leave nails sticking out. People might take them. Nails are made of metal. Metal is precious. (I thought you were not going to leave the nails out, because someone might get hurt.
      September 2014
      This brings back memories: When Opa cuts a chicken’s head off, there is an awful gush of blood. That is why Oma prefers to wring the necks of chickens and rabbits alike before cutting them off. “You don’t have all that squirting then,” she says. We did not do this at my house when I grew up, but when we went to see my grandparents, we would go and get a chicken. We would have to go some kind of a store where they had live chickens, because he would not buy an already dead chicken from a grocery store. Thought it would be unhealthy..........he was from Ukraine.
      September 2014
      QUOTE I am fascinated and appalled in equal measure. ME TOO! I have never known anything about the preparation of eels! This is riveting!
      September 2014
      QUOTE: The tub is only ever used for washing clothes or large pots and pans or tools in it. Nobody in our family takes a bath. We only ever do Katzenwäsche, a Pommy wash. Wow, is THIS what bidets are all about? We don't really use bidets at all where I live, but they are quite common in Europe. I had never heard before of a Pommy Wash, but maybe this explains it!
      September 2014
        Well, a "pommy wash" is washing only some bits of your body, the face, the armpits and, if you are lucky and with another cloth, your lower regions. The Australians coined this phrase in reference to what they thought of the bodily hygiene and cleanliness of the Brits! "Katzenwäsche" implies the same, just a spit and a lick! No bidets anywhere, they would have been viewed with great suspicion in North Germany! At the time we simply ponged.
        September 2014
        • sodium fr France 8534
          Une "toilette de chat" | "Se laver comme un chat" , même signification :-)
          September 2014
            Une autre traduction anglaise serait "a spit and a lick"
            September 2014
          • mfr pt Portugal 0 1588 715
            Interesting! In Portugal we also use the expression "lavagem à gato"
            September 2014
              I wonder what it is called in the Scandinavian countries. Are they strangers to "lavagem à gato"?
              September 2014
      QUOTE The priests – three catholic, one protestant – were promptly denunciated, promptly taken into custody, transferred to Hamburg for further questioning and, some months later, efficiently beheaded. Wow, I had NO IDEA that beheading was happening there.
      September 2014
      That is a very heavy story! So much to think about!
      September 2014
    SanneT 487 343
    Well, it's Monday and that means it's that time again: another story written and posted. I do hope you won't recognise yourself in it... :)
    September 2014
    • Jingle us United States 2207 23002 21049
      I´ve been faithfully reading, Sanne.
      September 2014
        Thank you! It is great to have a loyal readership on LingQ. Even my son has been retweeting the link to the blog to his followers, a sign of approval. I was flabbergasted!
        September 2014
    SanneT 487 343
    Before I add Story no. 19 later, here are the fruits of yesterday's procrastination: "A language coward or a language snob?". There's also an indirect (now direct) thank you @jahleents for inspiring me to be a bit more daring...
    October 2014
    • Elfgal it Italy 0
      Now, after being inspired, how about putting these things in practise ? ;-)
      October 2014
        Voy a hablar con el espejo esta noche...
        October 2014
          Espelho meu, espelho meu, existe no mundo alguém mais bela do que eu?
          October 2014
            Tienes suerte con lo del espejo hablando. Desafortunadamente, mi espejo no me respondió. Esperé alguna cosa como "Die Schönste im Reiche, Frau Königin, seid Ihr!", pero nada. Thank you for the question in Portuguese. It is so nice when we can get the meaning of other languages without knowing them, simply by looking at context and patterns.
            October 2014
              It makes you think that learning a foreign language is not so difficult after all!
              October 2014
  • [[Ninche-005]] 7941 3332 68
    This looks interesting! :) I will certainly read it all when I have the time!
    October 2014
      Thank you! I hope you´ll like it . Some stories are more gripping than others, but they are all part and parcel of my post-war childhood.
      October 2014
    SanneT 487 343
    Story no. 21 tells of a little girl chasing illnesses for a very simple reason. Illness gets attention.
    October 2014