Glossika's account removed by youtube
Lion 1150 3244 2164
Mike Campbell's 'Glossika' channel seems to be removed by youtube. What's madness is that?! His channel was one of my favourite among the polyglot channels. Isn't the internet supposed to be a medium through which people can freely exchange information? This kind of reminds me of the time when Steve Kaufmann had trouble getting LingQ on Wikipedia, although it's there now. Anyone else got thoughts on this?
March 2014
  • Ozemite 100 3553 561
    I was absolutely gutted when You-tube took the heavy hand - I was the first person that alerted him to this a week ago.

Mike has posted an open letter on his website re the debacle: http://www.glossika.com/

He's a fantastic guy, and I encourage people to support him, and to buy his products. I myself am using his GMS & GSR for Chinese.

His deleted videos are a terrible loss to us all.
    March 2014
  • Prinz_Skogsvin 6511 13 2004
    I can't for the life of me see why Youtube would do this to Mike - what on earth were they thinking of??

(And yeah, I'd also recommend his GSR product - for Russian in my case.)
    March 2014
  • lovelanguagesIII 40 2 137
    Youtube's general policy was one of the reasons why I closed my own channel. I can only guess that Mike's channel was a thorn in the flesh of a more "important" member of youtube. He only published material for which he held the copyright. Youtube isn't even fair enough to explicitly state which rules he supposedly did not comply with. He has no way of defending himself.

I guess the Internet needs an alternative to youtube.

ad Jay: I've bought quite a few of his GSR and GMS products both for Mandarin and Russian. I look forward to more

P.S. Mike will also attend the polyglot gathering in Berlin and I really look forward to meeting him.
    March 2014
  • MADARA 3590
    If content which are personal made are deleted than that means that Youtube will disappear pretty soon.
    All the work he put in creating all those great videos has gone to waste :( .

This is one messed up world. Who did his videos disturb I wonder ? I bet that there are kinds all videos with nasty,indecent and obscene content but instead of deleting their accounts , they delete ones intended for education ?!? They should delete music or movies that have been uploaded instead of these kinds of useful contents .
    March 2014
  • MADARA 3590
    I hope that he saved somewhere his videos . This way he could somehow upload them on/in another site and than give the links on his website.
    March 2014
    ad MADARA: (...) I hope that he saved somewhere his videos (...)

I think he did. At least I kind of remember having read something along these lines on his site. I'm sure he'll find a way to present his videos to a wider audience again. He is a clever guy and does not strike me as someone who is "defeated" that easily.
    March 2014
  • MADARA 3590
    Well that sounds reassuring . Unfortunately this is another sign of how unimportant education is depicted worldwide .
    The lack of an attraction towards education is the main reason for why people hate one another . That's why I believe the most terrible disease of the 21st century isn't AIDS or other viruses but IGNORANCE .
    March 2014
  • Ozemite 100 3553 561
    My take on things from his website letter is that only the product ones are saved on the company computer/s, but none of his personal ones done over the years... He states "..it's like losing a child and all those memories.."

But you're right, Robert, he's one gutsy guy.
    March 2014
    SanneT 487 343
    Reading the thread earlier on prompted me to show my support by purchasing the Russian material. After the confirmation I received an email with about half-a-page worth of links. Nothing seems to work, though. I can't click on the links and copying the stuff into another browser produces an elaborate Error Page. To make matters worth it said somewhere 'check that you can open all the files and make sure you download within 24 hours.' Do I have to split the links up or paste the whole lot into a browser window?

I have sent a mail to Glossika, but wonder whether anyone of you can help in the meantime?
    March 2014
    @Sanne

I guess Mike will probably sort it out for you.

If all else fails, I could maybe figure out a way to send you a copy of my files? (If you paid for them, but didn't received the goods, it'd be fair game.)
    March 2014
    SanneT 487 343
    Thanks for the offer! It is very kind. Let's hope I shan't have to take you up (I only paid the Sale price).

I am waiting for a reply and hope to be able to soon revive my Russian learning activities with its help.
    March 2014
    SanneT 487 343
    Well, dear reader, it worked!

Mike came to my aid and all is well. I am very pleased about the material. I might even use it. (And if not, at least it won't be gathering dust on my book shelves.)
    March 2014
    SanneT 487 343
    How is that for customer service?

Mike actually wrote to ask whether I could truly access everything I had paid for (not a lot, by the way, the sale prices are amazingly low for UK buyers).

I am so pleased about it all that I shall start today by reading the introduction!
    March 2014
  • Lion 1150 3244 2164
    Wow, that's quite reassuring to see so many people sharing the same sentiments. I also just recently bought his GMS products for Chinese. I must say I really like it. It's really something you can start using right away. I knew about Mike's channel, but I never really delved into it until recently. I'm glad I did so. I really like his sentence mining method. You could do it yourself, but his products save you a lot of headaches. I started using the method right away with Korean, as I'm doing the 90 day challenge. But Mike's products just give you the perfect source material with audio for a small price. If I just think about the money I spent on (impractical) books that were never put to good use... The time investment however is pretty high, it's really keeping me away from my Korean, as I can easily spent 2 hours reviewing, recording and following the other directions from the method. I can really say I'm looking forward to see more products by Mike.
    March 2014
  • [[Ginkgo58]] 376 100585 144
    I also tried to buy the Chinese GMS but am having trouble with PayPal. I cannot access my PayPal account because I cannot remember my password nor the security questions. I cannot start a new account because I have only one credit card and cannot get another until I return to Australia in June. Has anyone been able to buy Mike's products without going through PayPal? I did send Mike an email but as yet I have no answer.
    March 2014
    SanneT 487 343
    I paid by card since I do not have a Paypal account. Once I sussed out that Paypal handle all transactions, even if one does not have an account, it was simple.

I suppose companies find it difficult to deal with individual transactions and that's why services like Paypal etc are so useful for them.

I shall keep my fingers crossed for you!
    March 2014
    Thanks SanneT. But I still have the problem. I cannot see on the payment pages how to pay without using a Paypal account and I still cannot answer the security questions. How did you do it?
    March 2014
  • cribbe 35071 4626 536
    About GSM russian. Does somebody know if there also some kind of follow up, level2 russian, like it seems to be with chinese?
    March 2014
    SanneT 487 343
    @Gingko58 From what I can remember, it took me to the PayPal page although I had ticked that I had no account with PP. Then I had to give some details and the page after that was a normal Credit Card payment page (all within the PayPal set up). Finally I was informed that the payment would be shown as XYZ on my credit card statement. I got a receipt and that was that. Shortly afterwards (well within the 24-hour window the Glossika website talks about) I was sent the links. And tonight I am going to do some work!

March 2014
    ad cribbe: I'm pretty sure there will be more products for Russian because he called the first product "GMS Basics 1". It is very difficult to find similar products for Russian - I had been searching for years before I came across Mike's GMS and his rather recent GRS (which I also love).

I even went as far as to write my own 1,000 sentences, recorded them and had them translated and recorded by a Russian translator. That worked very fine too and I am still very pleased with the outcome (especially since I chose the sentences myself).

However, there was much more work involved on my part and, of course, the price was many times higher than what I paid for Mike's excellent product.

March 2014
    ColinJohnstonov 52700 1 7605
    @ lovelanguagesIII

"I even went as far as to write my own 1,000 sentences, recorded them and had them translated and recorded by a Russian translator."

Have you ever thought about seeing a psychiatrist about your language learning obsession? This must be some sort of OCD or something.
    March 2014
    @Robert: "...I even went as far as to write my own 1,000 sentences, recorded them and had them translated and recorded by a Russian translator. That worked very fine too and I am still very pleased with the outcome (especially since I chose the sentences myself)..."
    ---

Well, this just goes to show that truly great minds think alike :-D

I have been using the LingQ exchange to do something similar over the last 6 months or so - albeit intermittently.

(Many of the sentences I come up with would probably worry a psychiatrist though - cigarettes, wine, women, firearms and chainsaws seem to feature with alarming regularity...)

PS
    Oh, and both Christophe Clugston and Friedemann Rohr have made cameo appearances too - the former as the survivor of a horrible nuclear accident...

March 2014
    ad Colin: (...) ...Have you ever thought about seeing a psychiatrist about your language learning obsession? (...)

No, because firstly, my health insurance would not pay for it and the money I would have to spend on any psychiatrist for even sitting down and listen to me would be a total waste compared to the wonderful learning material I can buy for the same amount (ok, this is not a very rational argument but as an addict I'm allowed to put things "into my own perspective" ;-)).

Secondly, I'd go nuts if I lost my obsession. So, I prefer remaining crazy and enjoying my own personal "walk on the wild side" (but I admit I sometimes wonder if I'll ever get tired of it. If I do, I'm sure I'll find something else to keep me busy. Actually, I'm pretty good at doing nothing too).

ad Jay: (...) ....Many of the sentences I come up with would probably worry a psychiatrist though - cigarettes, wine, women, firearms and chainsaws seem to feature with alarming regularity... (....)

Personally, I'm not worried about your list of words but rather about the combinations of words you might come up with.

Chainsaws....women .....oh my.

But then again, maybe it is all totally harmless.

You invited some women over and had a few glasses of excellent wine. After that you enjoyed some cigarettes when you remembered that you had not shown your newly bought firearm to the ladies yet. Why not impress them with your shooting skills? So, you decided to give it a shot ;-)

Since you don't have a shooting range nearby, you dragged those poor ladies into a nearby wood to try and shoot some branches (you would have gone for some squirrels but you didn't want to scare those beauties away). Too bad there was a hunky lumberjack (woodcutter) around who did not only thwart your plans to impress the lovely ladies but also received more attention from them than you appreciated.

So, you went back home and enjoyed more wine, cigarettes, looking at your firearms, thinking of the women and cursing that bloody (terrible pun, I know) chainsaw handling hunk and this is where I'll stop because who knows how this story is going to end ....:-)

March 2014
    @Robert

Here is one of the texts. I wrote it in German and Evgueny translated it and recorded it in Russian:

"...Ты видишь парня вот там? Да, его зовут Кристоф Клагстон. Почему он выглядит таким свирепым? У него всегда плохое настроение. Почему? С ним произошел тяжелый несчастный случай примерно 20 лет назад. Действительно? А что за несчастный случай?nОн выпил бутылку водки, но, к сожалению, в бутылке была не водка, а охлаждающая жидкость из ядерного реактора в Чернобыле. Чёрт возьми! И он всё еще жив! Да, он, очевидно, очень сильный мужчина..."

Make of it what you will...! :-0
    March 2014
    ad Jay: hahaha, I wonder how Evgueny managed to translate that without dying of laughs :-)

I have to say, you have quite some talent for writing. My favourite part is Чёрт возьми! И он всё еще жив! lol

By the way, Evgueny has a wonderful voice and he certainly is an excellent choice if you look for high-quality Russian texts.

Does Клагстон speak Russian? I hope he doesn't know where you live lol.
    March 2014
  • Paule89 6744 3518 27
    That´s an interesting story, reminds me of superheros...
    March 2014
  • Paule89 6744 3518 27
    double post
    March 2014
  • cribbe 35071 4626 536
    @lovelanguages
    Yes agree, I also got both of them. GRS doesn´t really "work" for me, its to much english flying around, and it gets kind of messy sometimes also. But I like the idea, and maybe it could work together with the first one in some way.
    March 2014
    @Robert: "...My favourite part is Чёрт возьми! И он всё еще жив! lol..."
    ---

As I recollect, the original was "Scheiße! Und er lebt noch?" One needs to know these things :-)

---
    @Robert: "...Does Клагстон speak Russian? I hope he doesn't know where you live lol..."
    ---

I doubt it: the думмес арсшлох struggles to speak English! :-D
    March 2014
    @ Robert

"By the way, Evgueny has a wonderful voice and he certainly is an excellent choice if you look for high-quality Russian texts."

He makes some excellent Russian lessons. I especially like his 'Basic Paterns for Beginners' course. He also has a Beginners 2 course where each lesson is a quick joke (I get about one out of every ten of the jokes). I also liked the German lessons he made with Reinhard (alleray) about German grammar.

Anyway, how many points would I have to pay you two (you and Reinhard) to record a conversation in dialect about paintball tactics while wearing masks over your faces? This would be very useful for me.
    March 2014
    ad Colin: (...) ...while wearing masks over your faces (...)

I hated those masks when I was in the Army, so you'd have to pay a LOT or say something REALLY NICE about interpreters next time ;-)
    March 2014
    You mean misinterpreters?
    March 2014
  • Davidjvl 44608 46301
    Robert - Army?

I must see pictures
    March 2014
  • Paule89 6744 3518 27
    AtomroflDesTodesDasTötet^^
    March 2014
  • Ozemite 100 3553 561
    My take on that is it's just another situation where Glossika was unfairly attacked or treated - but it's really none of our business... Frankly, that particular link is akin to reading gossip...
    March 2014
    ad Colin: (...) you mean misinterpreters ....(...)

Oh, wow, Colin, you should have told me you are dyslexic, it would have made things so much easier ;-)

As for the Army, that was long before smartphones, Internet etc. existed. We had cameras but hardly took any photos of us in uniforms. I might have one or two though because I was also sent to Italy as a military interpreter and they even made a little video I might still have. I remember they took a few pictures then too.

I might write a little story about some of my "military adventures" and upload it to lingq. While I was one of the best at the shooting range (we used both the STG 58 and STG 77, STG standing for Sturmgewehr, i. e. assault rifle), overall I was more of a threat to my own troops than to any potential enemy (I was even excused from throwing live hand grenades while lying down because I did not throw them far enough ;-)).

I'm about the clumsiest guy you can imagine, yet our Army thought it appropriate to send me to the corps of engineers. So, all the disasters that resulted from their ignorance served them right.

I mean I'm dangerous enough holding a match in my hands, give me some dynamite and you'd better run for shelter (and that included my own superiors lol).

I was more like the "Soldat Schwejk" (a very good novel if you have not read it yet). The original was written in Czech and is a story about a Czech soldier in the Austrian-Hungarian Army trying to avoid being drafted for WWI.

March 2014
    ad Julie and Wulfgar:

I remember having read about that dispute a few years ago. I don't know the details, I guess only Glossika and the translator involved know them well enough to judge what actually happened.

All I can tell you after having been in the interpreting and translating business for two decades is that you find an incredible amount of ignorants and crooks on both sides, i. e. amongst so-called translators (I say so-called because to date in most countries there is no regulation in place as to the official requirements to be met before you can start working as a translator/interpreter and I have received applications from "translators" who seemed to have trouble with consistently spelling their own name correctly) and those assigning a translation project to freelancers.

I feel Glossika's products help me a lot in my studies and I enjoy using them. I read on another forum that some people found them boring. Fine, if they do so, I guess it is not the right product for them and there is nothing wrong with that. I wouldn't buy products I'm not happy with either.

As for any other matter, Mike is not my pal but a business partner (since I'm one of his clients) and if he should violate any law in any jurisdiction, I guess there are law enforcing authorities that will take care of that.

Generally (there might be exceptions), I don't like it if people try to bring their "legal case" to a forum where nobody can verify the accuracy of their statements instead of taking their opponents to court.

If I'm not mistaken the particular dispute at hand was also an issue on www.proz.com, a market place for translators/interpreters and their clients. They have a black list for customers not paying or for translators not meeting certain professional requirements.

I haven't used the site for years, so I don't know how they handle things today.

March 2014
    I still cannot pay through PayPal. No email from Glossika and only another link to the security questions from PayPal. Hopefully PayPal will answer my latest email in a more personal way. Although this is not a LingQ issue I'll get back to you if I resolve the issue. It might help someone else.
    March 2014
  • MADARA 3590
    It would seem that there is still hope for Mike's videos to return -> Mike Glossika:
    ''We're going to try to get the channel back. If not, all the details of those videos are still in my head, if not more developed and mature now.
    When I do start a new channel I will 1) keep the Chinese and English viewers on separate channels 2) training (content) videos separate from personal on-screen discussion videos. And we need to mark the actual ownership of all material appropriately, and recommend everybody else doing the same.''
    March 2014
  • Wulfgar 27165 24656 3914
    lovelanguagesIII - thanks for the background.
    March 2014
    Hurrah! I think PayPal have cancelled my account as I asked them to, because I have now been able to pay for Mike's beginner Chinese products. I'll get the links within 24 hours!
    March 2014
    SanneT 487 343
    @Ginkgo58 Glad to hear it! Mike's material has changed me :)) I am actually doing something little every day, even though I only use the C files. I am not a Beginner as such and so don't need the vocabulary in his lessons (apart from the exotic names), but I find the listening very helpful and my spelling is getting back on track. Very pleased about having found Glossika.
    March 2014
  • Administrator
    steve 7243 161 55542
    Can anyone explain how youtube justified doing this?
    March 2014
    ad steve: As far as I know they justified it with copyright issues. Mike said that he only used products he had the copyright for (it was basically only his own material anyway). I remember how youtube once deleted a video by laoshu where he simply presented a self-study book. He only talked about the book and showed some pages. That was enough for them to delete the video.

Why they went as far as to delete Mike's entire account without informing him (that's what he said on his website) of any alleged contraventions I don't know.

I have seen almost all his videos: no violence, no sex talk, no hate talk....it must have been the "copyright thing".
    March 2014
    Having bought the Chinese basic 1 GSR and GMS packages, I find the GMS fast and the GSR very, very fast. I can cope with the GMS if I have my finger on the pause button. This allows me to stop every now and again. The GSR, however, I will leave until I can cope with the GMS without stopping. I am finding this system really useful. It helps me to speak complete sentences at normal speed. I try to copy the tone shape over the whole sentence.

I have typed up the whole of the first list of sentences and imported them into LingQ. This took quite some time, but helps me to clearly see the words I don't know yet. Probably I won't do this with the other 19 lists.

How are the rest of you that are using the material working with it?

I was even wondering if getting the German GSR (German from Chinese) would help me with both languages. I think I could understand almost all of the German without being able to understand the Chinese. Perhaps I can use this package to help me with both languages. Or perhaps it would be not very helpful to try something that might confuse me. Anyway, the price is only USD$5.99. I think I will try it.

Let's hope Mike gets his videos going again soon.

March 2014
    ad Ginkgo58: I mostly just listen to the sentences. However, I also repeat them aloud. I bought some of his products for Chinese and Russian. I really like them a lot. They are similar to what I used for my working languages ages ago. It is a nice and practical supplement to my other study tools.

As for the speed, yes they speak fast, but after a while you'll get used to it.

I also bought the printed books for some of his products and/or his pdf files. I normally read them without listening to the audio files.

Sometimes I read the sentences and listen to the audio at the same time, but that is more to practise recognizing characters.

The prices for his products are very low I think. I have paid much more for much less effective material (effective for my learning style).

Getting the GSR for German / Chinese sounds like a good idea. I have bought similar products (from other providers) for Mandarin - Japanese, Japanese - Russian, French - Japanese etc.

It is great because you can actually practise two foreign languages at the same time. However, I think you should have at least an advanced intermediate level in one of them.

Since Mike is supposed to also go to the polyglot gathering in Berlin, I look forward to talking to him in person about some of his future plans (in case he has time for that ;-)).
    March 2014
  • [[nd71]] 889 0 0
    I have bought GMS-BASIC1-ENZH. After some tries, I find the sentences very boring, even more boring than the stupid lessons in some Chinese textbooks. What's more, the PDFs are protected against "Copy and Paste", so copying the sentence texts into LingQ or Anki is not possible.
    March 2014
    ad nd71: (...) ... After some tries, I find the sentences very boring, even more boring than the stupid lessons in some Chinese textbooks. (...)

I've heard that from a few other people on another language learning site. This kind of product certainly is not for everyone. I would not use it as a stand-alone product but I have found it to be extremely useful as a supplement. While the sentences might be or appear boring, I think they help you get used to typical patterns and they help me improve my pronunciation too.

I also read newspapers, magazines, watch tons of sitcoms and other videos on youtube in Chinese. But I still find his products very useful if you want to practise typical patterns and equip yourself with some really useful vocabulary.

What kind of sentences in particular do you find so boring? I'm just curious.

March 2014
  • [[nd71]] 889 0 0
    e.g. "Shakespeare was a writer and wrote many plays and poems." / "莎士比亚是作家,写了很多戏剧和诗。"
    March 2014
    ad nd71: Ok. I see what you mean. If I had just started studying Mandarin I would probably have wanted to learn other vocabulary first (I'm not suggesting that your level of Mandarin is lower than mine, however).

Personally, I find that sentence quite useful. I normally start out with other basic vocabulary when learning a new language and I also like using well written phrase books. But after that I prefer tackling other types of expressions and to me "writer" "plays" and "poems" are quite useful words.

I don't want to get stuck with the first 500 most common words which probably would not include expressions as in the sentence you mentioned.

Don't get me wrong, please, I can readily see that such sentences sound boring to some people. I use products like the ones Mike offers in a specific way, however. I don't just listen to these sentences and try to memorize them, I always try to elaborate on the sample sentences.

So, when I hear "plays" and "poems" or "writer", I try to come up with other, similar sentences. Given the fact that these sentences mainly help me familiarize myself with certain speech patterns my approach has worked quite well so far.

Nevertheless, I know many people who find such "vocabulary builders" boring. There are many different ways of achieving the same goal, so we need to find tools that suit our own learning style best. At least with Mike's products you won't have spent too much money in case you find his approach does not work for you.

Are you not at all interested in this kind of study tool or is it just the type of sentences you don't like? I bought similar books (but with many more example sentences) during my stays in China and Taiwan. If you are interested, I could give you the titles of these books. They are mainly written for Chinese speakers trying to learn English, which probably makes for even more natural Chinese sentences. They come with a book and mp3 files. Some of them you may be able to buy on the Internet.
    March 2014
  • Lion 1150 3244 2164
    @Ginko58: I just follow the directions/schedule given in the intro. Works just fine! I just finished the last unit. I only have some review days left. But I think I'm going for another round before I start with Basic II, to master the material even better. I don´t believe you can really over-learn something.

@nd71: I can't really understand a remark like that. The point of the course is fluency in speech. It is supposed to work like physical exercise (and it does in fact), if you follow it's directions. Each day I notice my improvements. I could only imagine being bored by this if the course was too easy or if someone doesn't have the right motivation. Saying it's boring sounds like an athlete saying it's boring to train. So then why would one start in the first place?
    March 2014
  • [[nd71]] 889 0 0
    @Lion:
    Maybe I am not motivated enough, or I am for sure no language learning masochist. I am doing language learning for fun, and I try to make enjoyable. I don't "train" to participate in a language learning competition. Each to their own.
    March 2014
  • Lion 1150 3244 2164
    @nd71: Well of course you should suit yourself. I didn't mention any kind of competition. There are many people who enjoy and play golf for fun. How is trying to put some effort in improving your golf swing masochistic? Anyhow, that is all besides the point. I was just quoting Campbell in my own words: that learning a language is like learning to dance. And that you have to practice dancing instead of reading about it. The Glossika website has a very elaborate product description. You could most likely have avoided your product dissatisfaction, instead of complaining here.

Just like lovelanguagesIII, I think that writer, poem and play are actually pretty useful vocabulary. I could add to that, that it even reviews certain chinese characters from previous sentences. And to elaborate even more on this, all these (example) sentences are designed in such a flexible way, that you can just replace many words. So in effect this is actually a very painless way of getting down the structure of the language, without spending a lot of time on long grammar explanations. It's even unnecessary to try to remember all the vocabulary. It's all built in.

@lovelanguagesIII: I would be very interested in more products like this! Please tell us more!
    April 2014
    ad Lion:

This one has about 4,000 sentences. It comes with mp3 files, traditional characters and Taiwanese accent (American English):

http://new.17buy.com.tw/books/books_view.php?bo...

ISBN 978-986-8667-8-5

This one has about 8,000 sentences, again with mp3 files, traditional characters and Taiwanese accent:

https://tw.buy.yahoo.com/gdsale/gdqta_detail.as...

ISBN 978-986-6481-83-3

I also bought a version with simplified characters (the sound files are the same though):

http://www.xhsd.cn/book/TblBookAction.jsp?cmd=r...

ISBN 978-7-5404-4854-7

The only criticism I have is that sometimes the recording does not correspond a 100 % to the written text. It is no big deal, just an extra "and" or a slightly different wording of the sentence. The meaning is always the same.

But it can be a bit of a nuisance if you are trying to practise recognizing characters by reading and listening to the recording at the same time.

This book has also 8,000 sentences, same features as the ones above:

http://www.17buy.com.tw/product-detail.php?cid=...

ISBN 978-986-6481-99-4

You can either try and buy these books online (not only from the sites I took the pics from; I just quickly searched for a book cover on the Internet) or get a friend to buy them locally and send them to you. That's what I sometimes do.

I also have another book with about 4,000 sentences where the audio files were only in English. I asked a Chinese friend to record the Chinese sentences for me and paid him for his service. That worked out really fine.

I can't give you any more detailed information about that book because another friend borrowed it from me and I don't remember the exact title.

I hope this post helps. 加油 :-)
    April 2014
  • cribbe 35071 4626 536
    I have a book in russian with 30 000 something, conversation-building sentences with translation. You can find it on amazon. I think its made by some kind of US military department. Only problem is that the text is so small, I can´t really read anything in it, or I fall asleep tryin'.
    April 2014
    I got that too. It's not bad - but the examples are maybe a little dated?
    April 2014
  • gregf 8013 25781 253
    Whatever do you do with such books? I remember watching the Glossika video where he discusses them and thinking "man does that sound boring." Perhaps I'm missing out on something?
    April 2014
    @Greg

Well, they can be helpful if you want example sentences of how prepositions are used - that kind of thing.
    April 2014
    ad grefg: I use these books to study and practise vocabulary in context. With Chinese, the mp3 files also help me get some important listening practise with regard to tones. I've used similar books for my working languages too. Some people find this sort of thing boring, I don't.

I use this kind of compilations to build a core vocabulary.

It all depends on what motivates you to practise the language. If you find it boring, it certainly is not for you because you won't stick with it. And if you don't, you won't get any benefit from it.

April 2014
  • Lion 1150 3244 2164
    @lovelanguagesIII: Thanks man, I'll definitely look into this!
    April 2014
  • gregf 8013 25781 253
    @lovelanguagesIII Thanks for your reply, but I'm still a little curious about them. I was under the impression that the books (at least Glossika's Chinese books) consisted of random sentences, one after the other. Perhaps I'm missing something, but I don't remember seeing much "context" in the sense of a narration, or grammatical categories, etc.

I admit that I really only took a cursory look at his materials, and I'd be happy to be proven wrong. Could you go into a little more detail as to how you use such materials? Do you just read them? Or are they actually divided up into grammatical or thematic sections, to give you a little more idea of how to use the sentences?
    April 2014
  • cribbe 35071 4626 536
    @Prinz_Wladimir
    Yes it is. Why cant they just update good old stuff instead of inventing new bad stuff.
    April 2014
  • neofight78 14410
    @cribbe & @Prinz_Wladimir

What's the name of the Russian book with the sentences? I'd be interested to take a look at it. Thanks :-)
    April 2014
    ad neofight78: I guess they were referring to "A phrase and sentence dictionary of spoken Russian" by doverpublications.

ISBN 0-486-20496-0

Great book but terribly small print - other than that a real gem.

ad gregf: The books I use for my working languages (English, French, Italian, Spanish) are published by Langenscheidt. The contain about 9,000 example sentences which are divided up into various chapters covering specific areas.

The books for Chinese which I mentioned are divided up into various sections as well. You don't get dialogues or any sort of narrative.

It is more a compilation of sentences where you can see words used in a specific context. I'd like to add that these books are just one tool that I use to practise vocabulary. I read a lot and I mean really a lot (magazines, newspapers, books).

However, I have found that it is great to have a list of words which cover the most common expressions. I pick up new vocabulary with the help of such example sentences much more quickly than if I had to learn new words by reading a lot of texts. But everybody is different and I do read a lot of texts as well, as I mentioned above. It's a combination of both.

I just prefer trying to build up my vocabulary with "frequency lists" (not just words, but example sentences). In a next step I consolidate my knowledge of new words by reading anything I'm interested in.

Others might say that it is a waste of time to go through these frequency lists first, why not go straight into reading? Well, as I said, I do both, I read narratives but also frequency lists because I find the latter a much faster and also highly efficient way to build up a core vocabulary.

Sometimes when I'm too tired to read the sentences, I just listen to them. I have noticed that through repeated listening I have sort of internalized certain grammatical structures and idiomatic patterns.

I'm not trying to convince anybody of this method, however. I know quite a few people who find this approach too boring or tiresome. If you don't like it, you should not force yourself to practise it. Have a go at it and if you think it works fine for you, stick with it. If not, do whatever you enjoy. There is no such thing as "the best method". We all need to find out what suits best our own interests and learning style.

Btw, I also read the sentences aloud a lot because I think you need to train your facial muscles to get used to the pronunciation of unfamilar sounds. I also seem to retain vocabulary better if I have actually pronounced it out loud instead of only listening to it.
    April 2014
  • neofight78 14410
    @lovelanguagesIII Thanks for the info, I'll check it out :-)
    April 2014
    ad Lion and neofight78: You are welcome :-)
    April 2014
    keke_eo 15519 9473 5534
    That Russian book looks good, but hard to read and handle. My understanding is that US government documents like this are public domain (such as Foreign Service Institute materials). If someone finds a scanned text version, please let me know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_status_o...
    April 2014