Captcha
Yutaka 15406 1621
Is this a new feature?
April 2014
    Yutaka 15406 1621
    I found that the horizontal strokes are supposed to "increase the difficulty of breaking the CAPTCHA with a computer program."
    April 2014
    Yutaka 15406 1621
    You can "reply," but you cannot "edit" the posts of the thread you sent. You can only "delete" your posts.
    April 2014
    Yutaka 15406 1621
    Some letters are very difficult to acknowledge.
    Is this SUEI?
    MCLK?
    WXGF?
    April 2014
    VeraI 18588 2664 651
    I've difficulties too. I've seen captchas that were more clear to me. I miss the button to get another captcha if I can't decipher it.
    April 2014
    Yutaka 15406 1621
    If you do not put the right letters, the system will respond with a new four-letter word. But, If only there'd be the button that VeraI mentioned!
    April 2014
    alex 1705 656 31848
    @Yutaka, VeraI - Captchas were implemented as a way to help prevent the recent forum spam. We'll see if we can add a refresh button!
    April 2014
  • jolanda 38178 23820 13845
    Yeah a refresh button would be useful.
    April 2014
  • jolanda 38178 23820 13845
    Wau it works!
    But it is really difficult so see the right Captcha!!!
    I must try 3 times. so I need to stop posting.

j:-(
    April 2014
    Yutaka 15406 1621
    Q or O or G?
    P or R or B?
    J or I or L?
    F or E?
    April 2014
  • Fasulye 1415 2707
    With these Captcha I cannot edit my posts! Somtimes I cannot decipher them very well either. That makes it unpleasant for me to use the LingQ - forum. :(

Fasulye
    April 2014
    VeraI 18588 2664 651
    I understand why it was implemented though it needs improvement that users can decipher it better.
    April 2014
  • evgueny40 1720 70018 5766
    And why this line 'Post and submit for Correction'
    I don't want to be corrected even I've made some mistakes!
    April 2014
  • pmilone 25558
    @evgueny40 - They are two separate buttons.

Click on 'Post' to post,
    Click on 'Post and Submit for Correction' to send to exchange.

Unfortunately, right now the default when hitting 'enter' is to post to exchange for correction.
    April 2014
  • pmilone 25558
    @Alex, as Yutaka states the edit function is not working.
    April 2014
  • Fasulye 1415 2707
    From today on I need for every of my posts at least 7 Captcha attemps, because I almost cannot read these Captcha letters. My friend @jbcatlover has tried these Captcha out and confirmed me that they are very vague (= not clear). As the consequence of this I will have to stay away from any active participation of the LingQ - forum. I can do other activities here on LingQ like listening to podcasts or sending in writing excercises to my tutor, but I will not continue my podcast co-production without having the possibility to introduce new podcasts in the forum.

Fasulye

PS: This post is written with 2 Captcha attempts!
    April 2014
    VeraI 18588 2664 651
    I'm often impatient too, but in this case I understand that the LingQ staff have to set priorities. We should not overreact. Some minutes ago there was again a short downtime. I think the attacks continue, or LingQ is making improvements.

As I wrote above it is understandable why the captcha was implemented. It was needed as a response to the attacks that prevented us totally from using LingQ. I'm sure the LingQ staff is thinking about ways to improve the captcha. You should give them some time.
    April 2014
  • Administrator
    steve 7243 161 55542
    You are right Vera, we had to do something because this spammer is very persistent. ( I really wonder what motivates someone like that.)

I also agree that the captcha is difficult to use. I usually have to try several times before it works. I am not looking forward to the trying the captcha below.

I also don't know what happened to the Edit feature.

Give us a little time to improve things. We also hope to remove the captcha requirement for regular members as soon as we can. The first things was to stop the spammer.

Here goes the captcha.
    April 2014
    VeraI 18588 2664 651
    An idea would be that long time members of paying members don't have to add the captcha. Only
    April 2014
  • Administrator
    steve 7243 161 55542
    Vera, that is what we hope to do. But first we just wanted to stop the spammer who is trying all kinds of things to attack us and we have to respond in a variety of ways. Please give us a little more time.
    April 2014
    ColinJohnstonov 52700 1 7605
    I remember trying to do one of these captchas when signing up for some Chinese website. The words were Chinese characters and I had no idea what the pinyin for them were, so I could not type them myself. In the end, I just kept refreshing the captcha until it was made of several simple characters that I could then enter into the computer using the free hand drawing feature of my iPod.
    April 2014
  • Administrator
    mark 36885 2525 2593
    Thanks for reporting some of the shortcomings of the captcha system we implemented. We realize that it is inconvenient compared to what was there before. Unfortunately we had to implement it to combat these recent malicious attacks. We will be working to improve it over the next little while so that regular contributing members are not affected. Please give us some time to implement these improvements.
    April 2014
  • [[freespirit]] 3164 0

I actually had to delete my post to edit errors in it. This was my original post.

"Man that captcha was brutal to go through. I had to make 4 attempts and I'm sure I was punching in the correct letters. Do you need to use cap locks? Someone mentioned that only paying members can comment on the forum and I like that idea. However the captcha's that lingQ are using right now is off in my opinion, some I see pretty clearly and I get an invalid response. I have good eye sight and the fact I had such a hard time using it tells me something wrong with it."

Hopefully things will go back to normal soon. I really enjoy using lingQ as a learning tool when it's running smoothly.
    April 2014
  • Jamie 10882 8285 30654
    I agree with Vera: please turn this off for paying members, or members who have posted enough times to be trustworthy.

Now, is that a PEPC or RFGE? Hmmm...

Nope, it's neither...
    April 2014
    alex 1705 656 31848
    @all - We'll have an update to the Captcha today that should significantly improve things for our existing members (who are not spammers :P).
    April 2014
  • [[galina]] 43 1070
    @Jamie - we are sorry for this inconvenience, but now the priority is to protect the site and prevent future malicious attacks. We will see what we can do to make it more convenient and easier for our members. Thanks for your understanding!
    April 2014
  • Irene777 15171 696
    @Alex
    you have updated? Nothing chanched.
    Edit or delete isn't possible, and if I try to use again and again the captcha, suddenly my writing is there more often, even there is written I have to correct the mistake.
    April 2014
  • Irene777 15171 696
    UPS, I wanted to write to Alex - it was another Thread - and now I am here. It is mysteriously.
    April 2014
    SanneT 487 343
    The captcha seems to be easier at the moment. I can read the letters better (but perhaps that is due to day light?) and I've noticed that when I press "Enter" within the Captcha box, it seems to work better than clicking "Post".
    April 2014
  • Administrator
    steve 7243 161 55542
    We are planning to change the captcha, but I find that this one is getting easier, and I am afraid that we won't like the new much better. WE will see.
    April 2014
  • snorrews 9226 27856 12357
    Last week I saw a captcha consisting of a question and four icons. You were supposed to click the correct icon. Perhaps that is a good solution for LingQ? Sorry that I don't remember which site it was.
    April 2014
  • Irene777 15171 696
    It is much better now! The numbers are clear.
    Thanks.
    April 2014
  • Irene777 15171 696
    What happens here? Minutes before, there were numbers, really good to read.
    Now, there is text, two parts. One part is good to read, the other not.
    April 2014
    alex 1705 656 31848
    @all - Our initial fix here was to replace the Captcha with the standard reCaptcha so that it is a bit easier to read and can be refreshed if you would like a new Captcha. Next up we'll see if we can also add some logic to have the Captcha only show say for new members or after a certain number of consecutive posts.
    April 2014
    Yutaka 15406 1621
    Captcha is divided into two parts. Do we have to put both of them?

I did put both, and I was able to post successfully.
    The edit function is working fine.

Some are numbers, and some are alphabets.
    April 2014
  • Fasulye 1415 2707
    Thanks for changing the captcha! These digits are easier to read! I am now able to post with only one attempt, that's fine!

Fasulye
    April 2014
    Yutaka 15406 1621
    No twisted characters?
    May 2014
  • zbrntt 5712
    What's the problem? If you can't read the numbers or letters then you can refresh it and get a new set. You can find something readable with one or two clicks.

I've seen this kind of captcha used in lots of places and it doesn't bother me.
    May 2014
    SanneT 487 343
    @LingQ team: thank you for the no-captcha!
    May 2014
  • Irene777 15171 696
    The problem with the captcha was not to have them with numbers,
    the problem was, to have them with letters, because they weren't to read.

Now, I don't have captchas anymore, thanks LingQ!
    May 2014
  • lynkusu 3377 998 747
    I managed to post this in zero captcha attempts! Cool!
    May 2014
    Yutaka 15406 1621
    "To comment login[sic] or sign up for a free account"
    If you do not log in, you will see the above message at the bottom of the page.

The next step would be to guard the forum for discussion (of everything under the sun) from low-tech spammers disguised as "members" who only want to get your Skype IDs.
    May 2014
  • Fasulye 1415 2707
    Test: Do I need Captcha or not to be able to post?

Fasulye
    May 2014