When to use du vs. dig (I apologize if this posted twice, I got a error message the first time)

Hej! Jag heter Sarah. Hur är det? (Pardon my swedish, I’m working on it…)

I have asked this on other swedish language sites but to no avail. So I shall try here also.

I have a question that has been stumping me throughout every lesson I do. I am very confused at the difference between the words du and dig. I read that “dig is to du as mig is to jag”. I understand the difference between mig and jag, but du/dig is tearing at my brain

If anyone could help me understand the difference/when to use which word, i’d really appreciate it.

Thank you. Tack!

I also apologize for my terrible grammar in the tread title…learning a whole new language really starts to effect your native language brain. :stuck_out_tongue:

My guess is that Du and Dig are in different cases. Much like in German where there are about 4 you informal pronouns. Du, Dich, Dir, and Diener. I hope it might of helped you in some way.

That was my guess too. I think my problem with these words and just language learning in general is that I am constantly comparing every word and rule to English, and it throws me off when I can’t see the correlation. Anyway, it’s not worth getting frustrated over for now, its such a small thing.

Tack för hjälpen!

then you also have the col fom of Dig, “Dej”.
Ex

du heter Martin
jag känner dej/ jag känner dig
ditt namn är martin, dig/ dej kan man lita på
du är här, detta är ditt hem
jag älskar dig
du älskar mig
jag ger dig mitt ord
dej kan man ju inte lita på
ge dig av nu

Cribbe, thank you for those examples. They actually helped me study, as I had to think and decipher them. I’m still a little unsure of the difference but it’s not a problem time and practice can’t fix.

@Dobie42

Jag(1) ser dig(2).
Du(1) ser mig(2)

Du(1) ser dig(2) när spegeln. Din spegelbild(1) ser dig(2). Du(1) ser din spegelbild som ser dig som ser din spegelbild…