Linguam latinam discimus - lectio 009 Lapides pretiosos, quia *rari* sunt... Is there an error?

Lapides pretiosos, quia rari sunt, homines magnopere amant…

Shouldn’t be “raros” instead of “rari” since lapides and pretiosos are accusative?

Actually “Lapides pretiosos” is the object (accusative case) of “amant”. "rari"defines the subject (nominative case) of the clause “quia rari sunt” (because they are rare); the subject pronoun or the noun itself is self-understood - it’s not repeated, as in “Lapides pretiosi rari sunt”. Notice the commas that split the sentence. I hope this explanation is clear enough.

As Reinhard says, “rari” is in the nominative because that’s a separate clause where “lapides” is the subject: people love precious stones (object - accusative), because precious stones (subject - nominative) are rare.

Thanks to you all (also for your usefull lessons). I’ve figured it out by myself just after submitting this question but i decided to leave the message because it could be usefull to other latin learners : )
| think i shouldn’t study latin at night mixing it with chinese eheh

Someone of you can tell me why I still see a lot of courses without any lesson inside?

Argo

Argo, Probably because the technical staff has not gotten around to that problem yet. Can you give some titles of such lessons?

As I have just now re-discovered the power of clearing the cache I recommend F5 to anybody: it might help, it certainly won’t do any harm…

problem solved