Die Verben sehen

I though the Aussprache of sehen war Se-Hen, aber die Aussprache auf goggle translate ist S-in/sin. Warum? Is the H silent like in french?

The computer voices are often not accurate. They can give you an idea but you should not trust them :wink:

Here you’ll find a quite good and natural pronunciation: Duden | sehen | Rechtschreibung, Bedeutung, Definition, Herkunft (Look out for Aussprache).

It is not a silent “h” but it is a soft one. But as always, pronunciation depends on the region and the accent of the speaker.

I was listening to evgueny. He was doing it in is lesson. Login - LingQ

After I’ve viewed your link that you’ve posted Vera. It helped me. Danke schon

Please consider that Evgueny is not a native speaker. Usually his Russian accent sounds a bit hard.

1 Like

Thanks for the link. I’ve listened to the lesson. That’s not Evguenys voice, it is Franz. He has an Austrian accents. Austrian accents are quite smooth. I can hear the “h” in “sehen” but it is quite soft here.

This is the problem (?) or intersting thing in language learning: there is not the one way to learn a language, or the one accent that is correct. You’ll met different accents.

1 Like

I though the whole time it was Evgueny, which turns out it isn’t. But either way it is still a good voice, but a pain because of it being a different accent. Well I guess I have to learn to recognize noth German and Austrian accents because the countries are right beside one another. It’s about the same as the American English and british English. After that then there are also sub accents in American English like the southern accent, which I’m used to hearing a lot.

Oh… Also wanted to ask something Vera. Is Dutch similar to German and/or English? I was wondering because I heard it as a rumor at my language community here in Texas.

@Ozzy
I am a language teacher for Russian, German and English.
The most of my German and English lessons (I have also English lessons) I write myself, but I ask my German and English native speakers friends to correct them and to record them.
That’s why they have a real native accent.
My partners in German are Fasulye from Northern Germany, Reinhard(not far from Vienna) and Franz (not far from Salzburg) from Austria. I have also some lessons with Tobias, Kasthy, Annegret From Germany.
My voice you can hear only in the interviews where I try only to ask my questions (10-15%), and the native speakers answer theses questions (85-90%).
When you have an interest I can somewhen to have an interview with you and to record your American English accent.
Good luck and Viel Erfolg.

And about ‘h’ in German.
We pronounce ‘h’ always when it is in the beginn of the words: haben, Hase
But when ‘h’ is after the vocals we don’t pronounce it, but we say the vocal before it longer: ihr, sieht, nehmen.
There are only a few words when ‘h’ is between two vocals, then it patalize the second vocal, like in ‘sehen’ [ze:y(e)n]

@Ozzy:
Dutch is a language, not an accent, but it is quite close to German and English. I’m as a native speaker of German, and with a good knowledge of English are able to understand about 70% of it, if I listen carefully. It sounds to me like a strong dialect.

@Evgueny:
I didn’t you could get other people to do the audio of your podcasts. I was thinking it was you speaking the whole time. I was thinking that if a Russian could have a great accent like that, then I could too. That gave me some motivation. But if it was or wasn’t you, you and Vera give me a lot of good motivation to learn German. Also I’ll love to be interviewed someday in the future, when I and you have time off at the same time.

@Vera:
I’ve heard how it sounded and it isn’t a good sounding language for me. Is it somewhat of a low german? Also I wish you good luck ing learning Dutch, since I’ve noticed the low word count I though that you are a beginner.

@Vera and Evgueny:
I wish the both of you a good Happy New Years!