In one of the reading texts, the speaker sounds like

In one of the reading texts, the speaker sounds like he is pronouncing ‘fiche’ like ‘fizh’ (or something like that). I listened to it several times and it sounds like he is sometimes softening the ‘ch’ sound in that word. Is that standard? He does it in the phrase 'vous pouvez faire des fiches de grammaire. I don’t think he does this in other occurrences of the word. Thanks.

Hello! Sorry for my bad English. It’s not my mother tongue. So I heard the reading text, and I think there is a mistake. In fact, the reader says: “Vous pouvez utiliser les flèches (arrows in English) rapides pour réviser…” He is probably talking about the arrows on the keyboard. “Les fiches (cards in English) de grammaire” is correct.

@Bedy - yes, it seems to be some inconsistency here. In your opinion, which translation is more likely to be correct: flèches (as arrows) or fiches (as cards)? I am also learning French :slight_smile:

Here are the English and German versions:

• Dort können sie Flashcards benutzen, um ihre neuen Wörter und Sätze zu wiederholen (Login - LingQ).

• There you can use flashcards to review your new words and phrases (Login - LingQ).

The French text mentions the word “fiches”, which is the right translation for “cards”. However, the reader doesn’t read “fiches”, but “flèches”. It’s obviously a slip on the tongue. Can another French speaker confirm my opinion?

En français : si vous relisez les versions en anglais et en allemand, vous constatez que le rédacteur utilise le terme “flashcards”. Le texte français mentionne le mot “fiches”, qui est la traduction correcte pour “cards”. Cependant, le lecteur ne lit pas “fiches”, mais “flèches”. Il s’agit sans aucun doute d’un lapsus. Un autre locuteur français peut-il confirmer mon avis ?

@Bedy - I agree. It looks like the term “cards” is more suitable here. However, the speaker says “flèches”. I am going to edit the text though because I am not able to correct the audio file:) Thanks for the heads up!

En fait le lecteur prononce “flèches” tout simplement parce que c’est ce mot qui est utilisé dans le texte ce qui est d’ailleurs une mauvaise traduction de “Flashcards”.

“L’anglicisme naît soit de l’adoption d’un mot anglais par suite d’un défaut de traduction, même si un terme équivalent existe dans la langue du locuteur, soit d’une mauvaise traduction, comme le mot-à-mot.” (source Wikipedia)
Ici la traduction littérale serait “carte éclair”. A mon sens on peut garder le terme anglais “flashcards”. Si vous êtes réticent à garder des termes anglais dans un texte français la meilleure traduction me semble être “fiches” ou “fiches de vocabulaire”

@Serge - Bonjour ! En fait, lorsque la question a été posée par Bluesky192 et avant modification par Galina, le mot écrit en français était bien “fiches”, mais lu comme “flèches”. Je croyais d’ailleurs que le lecteur faisait allusion aux flèches du clavier.

Au final, on a une solution bancale, puisque si le texte correspond maintenant à la lecture, on aboutit malgré tout à une traduction étrange de “flashcards” par “flèches rapides”, ce qui peut étonner l’apprenant en français. Mais Galina ne peut, comme elle le dit, qu’adapter le texte à la lecture et non l’inverse.

Bon week-end à tous (enfin du soleil en France) !

@Bedy: If I would have to translate the German version I would use “Karteikarte” instead of “Flashcard”. I’m sure that lots of German would have no idea what a Flashcard is. But this translation wasn’t done by me. LingQ asked for the translation, when I was on Holiday. I did the translation too, but in the meantime they had used a translation from someone who didn’t know LingQ well (in my opinion). LingQ made recordings. But the translation describes LingQ not well and uses not the expressions we usually use in the German version. My translation was “Dort kannst du Karteikarten benutzen, um deine neuen Wörter und Ausdrücke zu wiederholen.”