Does it have some mistake? "I became away"

Hello, everyone!

I was listening to this video, and where it says “I bacame away” in the beggining of the text I listed as “I became aware” which makes more sense for me. Am I right?
In the case fo something like “became away” really existing, what is that sentence meaning?

Thank you

You’re right, terugi, it’s just a mistake in the text. The actual phrase is “I became aware…”
“I became away…” makes no sense. It is just a mistake. Probably a typographical error. These days people rely too much on ‘spell check’ for noticing errors instead of actually proofreading what they have written, so errors like this are common.

I didn’t bother to listen to the entire recording, so there very well may be additional mistakes further on in the text.

1 Like

Thank you, Bruce!

I also think this mistakes are very common. I don’t know how to get in touch with the autor of the lesson in order to ask him to change it for other people to don’t think “away” are pronunced that way.

I’ve complete all this lesson today and it seems not to have another problem. But at night I’ll hear it again and if there is another problem I’ll post it here.
Thank you

LingQ-Support is the provider from this lesson.

I think they will edit it.

j:-)

Terugi, it’s always great to write a response because it gives you more practice, and lets others (like me) see where you are having problems. I have corrected your text as follows:

this kind of mistake is / these kinds of mistakes are
author
other people who
“away” is pronounced that way
I completed this lesson
it doesn’t seem to
(to) have any more errors
tonight I’ll listen to it again

I also think these kinds of mistakes are very common. I don’t know how to get in touch with the author of the lesson in order to ask him to change it for other people who don’t think “away” is pronounced that way.

I completed this lesson today and it doesn’t seem to have any more errors. But tonight I’ll listen to it again and if there is another problem I’ll post it here.

Great idea, Terugi!

• Bruce
1 Like

I just edited it for them. Should be correct now.

1 Like

@brucenator Thank you for your correction. I’ve been studying English for years, but I was extremely focused on reading, so I’m not very good in writing or in speaking. But now I’m going to start a 90 days challenge in English in order to really improve my skills :slight_smile:

I didn’t get time to review this lesson today, 'cause i was focused on my Japanese, but I’m looking forward to do this tomorrow. Studying English is SOOO pleasant to me!

@kcb Thank you very much!

@brucenator
Hey, Bruce.

I listened to the audio one more time, and I found what seems to be two mistakes.
First: In the beginning of the text, first paragraph, it’s written “dishonestly” and I think it would be “dishonesty”

Second: In the last paragraph, where is written “wise up” it sounds to me something a little bit different, although i was not able to recognize. Maybe something like “wisen up” or “wise it up”.

Terugi,
Yes, you are right, ‘dishonestly’ should be ‘dishonesty.’
He actually says ‘we need to wisen up,’ but it is also expressed ‘wise up,’ so that is probably why it is transcribed that way.
He also keeps saying Pierre Trudeau in a few places when he is clearly referring to Justin Trudeau so that’s why it is transcribed as Justin in the text.
A few more:
… another party ‘here we call’ s.b. transcribed ‘here called’
… everyone ‘like to’ s.b. transcribed ‘likes to’

1 Like

Thank you very much Bruce, your help is always amazing.
If sometime you want to know Portuguese call me! :slight_smile: