Latin DCC Core Vocabulary and Anki Decks

Gregf posted in another thread, “Just yesterday I looked to see if someone had made a similar [Anki] deck for the Latin DCC list, but no luck.”

Such a list for Latin exists for Cram. It is called “Dickenson College Core Vocabulary” in the Cram Latin section. There are 1,000 words and 992 flashcards. Cram vocabulary lists can easily be exported to a csv, and from that, I suppose, imported into Anki.

Personally, I find the LingQ method better than Anki for acquiring core vocabulary. However, Anki did help me refresh my memory of common Ancient Greek terms. Sort of.

Absolutely. I came to the same conclusion with the Ancient Greek list a few months ago: it was much better to have encountered the word in context than to “learn” it the first time through an Anki deck. Once I had spent a year or so doing Greek every day, however, the DCC list became a wonderful way to drive home the most common words.

I have a deck of a thousand or so Latin terms that I downloaded for Anki, but I find it almost impossible to use because nothing sticks. Exposure through context, especially graded readers (Remember the First Greek Reader?), is much better.

LingQ for new vocabulary acquisition, Anki for review. Not the other way around. Plus, as Steve mentioned in a youtube video, it’s so much more time consuming to learn words individually, better to read and ping your brain with lots and lots of context and content. Works for me.

Any experience with the Evan der Millner resources for Latin?

The Greek list is indeed a good refresher and morale builder. The Latin list has earned but a glance or two from me (I don’t know why).

And I have lent my ears to prolific Evan mare than a time or two. Puer Romanus, which I have purchased, I have heard several times, and Cornelius Nepos, two or three times. At some point I will return to Nepos. Then there are other readings that I have forgotten. I prefer his reading at near normal speed, even though he reads Puer Romanus and Cornelia quite slowly.

One thing I think would be very helpful would be to have a Greek <-> Latin version of the DCC deck. Especially once you’re more or less familiar with one of the halves: you could continue going through the deck to learn one side while refreshing the other. Alas, no such beast seems to exist online, perhaps I’ll add a Latin field in my Greek deck and slowly start making it that way.

As for Evan’s works, I keep trying to get into them, but I must admit I find his style of reading/pronunciation a little exaggerated for my taste. Do you have a one-stop latin audio source suggestions, perhaps something like the Assimil Latin course?

@gregf “Do you have a one-stop latin audio source suggestions, perhaps something like the Assimil Latin course?”

In a word, no. No one-stop source. It must be said that in my opinion, based on my experience with German, French and Spanish, hundreds of hours of listening are necessary to acquire an understanding of the spoken language. Unfortunately, hundreds of hours are not available for Latin (or Ancient Greek). However, I do think listening has some value helping us understand the written language. For that, de Millner’s recordings are enough for me.

Having said that, there is http://www.greeklatinaudio.com/ for audio of the Latin Vulgate (I think) Bible. A search of Youtube on any of the major Latin writers does turn up a few readings of selections of their works. Though to me, the readings are indifferent at best.

Finally, if there are commercial sources, I do not know what they are.

Hope this helps a bit.

Edited to add ‘I think’ after Vulgate.