subliminal learning

spatterson 3636
Okay, I'll go off the deep end here... have you experimented with subliminal learning of languages? I'm *NOT* a believer... however and friend and I whipped up a little program last night using the LingQ API. It displays your daily linqgs (term / hint combination) on the screen very very quickly -- so quickly you can't tell it's even display. So for those of you sitting in front of your computer for 8 hours a day, you get a full dosage of subliminal messaging / learning.

November 2012
  • Administrator
    steve 7495 201 33414
    I find this interesting. When I do flashcards, I do them quickly with the term, hint and phrase all on the front. I just flip through them as fast as I can. Let us see the program -:)
    November 2012
  • spatterson 3636
    Yeah, we'll clean it up and throw it up on the web somewhere. However, this is literally so fast you CANT see anything. But I guess the idea is that your subconscious mind is able to "see it". I did think about slowing it down and just have it be like a quick "burn in" for your brain. Like... 1 word/hint per second. Maybe a bit faster. Something like this could be suitable for the webpage(??). I'll see if I can whip up something like this tonight in HTML/Javascript
    November 2012
  • spatterson 3636
    Okay I made a very basic webpage that cycles through word/hints. So entertaining!

https://github.com/spattersongt/lingq/tree/mast...

In the top right select Downloads. Download the zip, unzip, then open "burn.html" in your browser.

The url takes 3 parameters

speed in milliseconds (try 500, 1000, or 1500)
    lang (en, de, fr, etc)
    apikey (see lingq's api documentation)

So, the address bar should look something like:

file:///C:/Users/spatterson/linq/burn_in/burn.html?speed=500&lang=de&apikey=YOURAPIKEYHERE

We'll work on getting the other subliminal program polished up. It has some... issues

November 2012
  • Administrator
    steve 7495 201 33414
    Pardon my ignorance but I have downloaded it and now have a master file and an .zip file and don't know what to do next.
    November 2012
  • il_melomane70 2950 10426 0
    @spatterson: I changed the URL as you told us, but I only got (after a long period of waiting: Loading..., Loading...) the error message: Failed to get Lingqs.

Please tell us laymen the exact processes. ;-0

Edit: I tried it out with another language (French) and now it seems to work.
    November 2012
    keke_eo 15556 5534 9473
    This is brilliant :) Thanks for sharing. Bit slow to startup (I have lots of lingqs) but this is going to be very handy for me to study while doing indoor rowing.

Steve: Unzip the file, then click on the burn.html file inside the linq-master/burn_in folder. It will open in your browser.
    Then add ?speed=1500&lang=sv&apikey=XXXXXX to the end of the address in the address bar. The words loading will disappear (if you have many lingqs it may take a lot of time).
    November 2012
  • omad84 5536 21 13
    Really cool!

Do we have to look at the browser window or is it meant to run in the background?

Steve what I did.

Unzip the file
    There is a file called burn.html
    Open that in firefox.
    Copy and paste ?speed=500&lang=de&apikey= Directly after the burn html address
    I'm using it for German so you might have to change the language.
    Find Your Api key
    Copy and paste it in and press go/hit return!

Cheers Patterson!
    November 2012
  • il_melomane70 2950 10426 0
    It doesn't work with Spanish, but with all the other languages. Is it possible that I have word explanations which are too long, or with characters this program doesn't recognize?

If would be nice if it would be possible to use it without an opened browser (or at least in another window/tab) and in different positions on the screen.
    November 2012
    keke_eo 15556 5534 9473
    Using the http://www.lingq.com/api_v2/fi/repetition-lingqs/ call you can get the last 15 days of SRS content, which might speed things up and keep the content fresh for those with lots of lingqs.
    November 2012
  • spatterson 3636
    Oh yeah, I should have used repetitions-lingqs. I've updated the code. It's a lot faster now
    November 2012
    keke_eo 15556 5534 9473
    Fantastic!
    November 2012
  • Administrator
    steve 7495 201 33414
    I cannot get it to open. I click on the download file and click on open with Chrome and this gives me a screen that says "loading" and that is it.
    November 2012
  • spatterson 3636
    Steve,

After you open the page in your browser you have to "adjust" the address.

First you'll need your apikey from here:

https://www.lingq.com/accounts/apikey/

then change your address to something like

...burn.html?speed=500&lang=de&apikey=YOURAPIKEYHERE

A full example from my Windows pc:

file:///C:/Users/spatterson/linq/burn_in/burn.html?speed=500&lang=de&apikey=MyAPIKeyFromAbove

That should do it

--
    Shaun
    November 2012
  • Administrator
    steve 7495 201 33414
    I am lost. When I have a URL where I can go and start using it, I will be there.
    November 2012
  • Mahel 1232
    Hello, Im trying to find out the optimal speed for subliminal learning, but is not enought info on the web, someone knows something about it? is it any way to change the size of the words in the webpage? by the way excellent idea, my respects!
    November 2012
  • Administrator
    steve 7495 201 33414
    How long does it take to load, all I get is the page with Loading... on it twice, just like the last time.
    November 2012
    keke_eo 15556 5534 9473
    With 12000 lingqs, about 20 or 30 seconds. If your API key is wrong, it will show loading... forever.
    November 2012
  • spatterson 3636
    It takes me 1-2 seconds at most. It should be pulling down your recent lingqs now -- I don't know what the max is. Maybe you found a bug or something and the process died.

In Chrome try Menu -> Tools -> Javascript Console

and see if you have errors that spit out
    November 2012
  • Administrator
    steve 7495 201 33414
    Thanks, I finally got it to work. I think there is too much information for this to work. I would suggest using this with phrases. No Hints, no captured phrase,just useful phrases.

Either we would go through our captured phrases, refine them to shorter 3-5 word phrases, and let her rip. Or alternatively we could save phrases in the text, choose Phrases only in the Vocab section and then "go!".

Even better, members would but together a list of 5 or so phrase examples for each of the most common 100 patterns of their own language and make these available as "subliminal" lists to the community here.

November 2012
  • Administrator
    steve 7495 201 33414
    Yes, I think I copied the api key wrong the first time, or maybe it was because I capitalized Cs for Czech.
    November 2012
  • Administrator
    steve 7495 201 33414
    In any case this is "genial". We could leave it up to the user to decide what they want to see. These settings are already available on the flash cards.
    November 2012
  • omad84 5536 21 13
    spatterson a great addition on here must be said. Seems to be full of ideas. Herzlich Willkommen!

BTW mine go really quite slow, even set at it at "1" MS. I take it in the web browser it can't go quickly enough to be truly subliminal as to where you don’t notice it really, yeah?

Ta!
    November 2012
  • spatterson 3636
    Thanks. My ears just perk up when I hear the words "API" and I like to tinker with things. So hopefully I'll have the time to create something useful.

As for the webbrowser... yeah it's way too slow. I'll try and wrap up the python program that does it correctly. But to be honest, my next task (a crossword puzzle generator) has captured my interest and I think it'll be infinitely more useful
    November 2012
  • Administrator
    steve 7495 201 33414
    Shaun, how do I determine what will appear on your subliminal speed flash cards.
    November 2012
  • spatterson 3636
    It's pulling whatever is returned by the repetition-lingqs API call. You'll have to get the specifics from the developers but the docs say "Returns list of LingQs of the day for the last 5 days."
    November 2012
  • Administrator
    steve 7495 201 33414
    Shaun,

Can you make so that we can create a list in the vocab section using Tags. They we define what we want to appear on the front of our flashcards. Then that determines what shows up in your hyper flashcard review?
    November 2012
  • spatterson 3636
    Certainly could. However, it'll take an API change on your side. The calls to get all your LingQs and the call to get LingQs ready for review do NOT return the tag info. So if your developers add that it in it's childs play from there.

While we're on the subject, it would be nice if those calls took a "status" parameter -- so you could only grab words with particular statuses. Nice addition but not really needed.
    November 2012
  • Administrator
    steve 7495 201 33414
    Shaun,
    I will only get into trouble if I bother the programmers with this now, leave it with me. Thanks.
    November 2012
  • spatterson 3636
    Understandable. I'm not going anywhere so when the API is updated we an updated. I've got 7 months to learn German. That's plenty of time to write some cool LingQ apps
    November 2012
  • Administrator
    steve 7495 201 33414
    OK Thanks and as I said, ask Jolanda any questions you have about Switzerland.
    November 2012
  • omad84 5536 21 13
    Anything ever happen with this?

I mean I've been fooled before with pyramid schemes, time shares and that mail order bride which was just papier mache but I AM SURE that subliminal learning is the next logical step.

Ehrlicheweise...I'd be interested in knowing if anything came up again.
    March 2013
    keke_eo 15556 5534 9473
    I still use these scripts to review my lingqs while rowing or even doing the dishes...
    March 2013
  • lingQuser 4045 0
    Will this work on a Mac?
    March 2013
  • lingQuser 4045 0
    And how do I know what the language code is?
    March 2013
    keke_eo 15556 5534 9473
    It works on any OS with a modern browser - I use it on my iPad mainly. The language code is often shown in the page address of a lesson lingq.com/learn/XX/something where XX is the two letter language code.
    March 2013
    keke_eo 15556 5534 9473
    @spatterson The hosted github version doesn't work anymore - unexpected character in burn.js >>>>>

Could you please take a look? Your script is great for handsfree learning :)
    February 2014
  • spatterson 3636
    Will do tomorrow.

Actually I converted it to (essentially) a learning screen saver at work using a spare monitor.
    February 2014
  • spatterson 3636
    Fixed (??). Didn't test it. Too tired right now
    February 2014
    keke_eo 15556 5534 9473
    Yep, works now. Thanks!
    February 2014