Mandarin with Pinyin
CMM 622 1
Hi Steve,

I'm a big fan of your method! I am currently working on my Spanish with LingQ and have had wonderful results. I'm also very interested in speaking Mandarin; however, I really have no interest in learning to read and write the characters. Does LingQ provide a course ONLY in Pinyin? I've been using Pimsleur and the FSI, but I know if I had LingQ it would take me over the top.

BIG FAN,
Chris Maldonado
July 2014
    ColinJohnstonov 51559 7556 179
    "Does LingQ provide a course ONLY in Pinyin?"

I am pretty sure the answer is no. You could import lessons you want to study as private lessons and convert the lessons into pinyin using Google Translate. However, I don't think this is such a good idea. The problem is that you will not be able to find words easily if you only have the pinyin. The pinyin on its own is not unique enough even when you take the tones into account. If you want to learn Chinese without the characters, probably you should get a few learners books that have this kind of stuff. The material in the LingQ library could still be useful of course.
    July 2014
  • Romnik 13889 0 17
    If you go on Lingq and click on print lesson (now its easier to copy text to another program).
    Highlight the text and copy it over to mandarin spot, then click 'annotate'
    It will give you pinyin and, if you scroll your mouse over each word, an english meaning!

http://mandarinspot.com/annotate
    July 2014
    ColinJohnstonov 51559 7556 179
    This mandarinspot looks pretty cool. I am gonna have to give it a try.
    July 2014
  • iaing 27678
    I can remember using mandarinspot years ago, and ultimately giving up on it because I could never figure out how to export the annotations. These days I use pleco reader offline, mdbg reader online, but I also like looking at characters so my opinion not so relevant here.
    July 2014
      ColinJohnstonov gb United Kingdom 51559 7556 179
      I have done a tiny bit of reading with mandarinspot and I like it, but I prefer LingQ. With mandarinspot, I find that I can read much more advanced texts because I see the pinyin and it is easier to look up definitions. On the other hand, I find it very hard not to look at the pinyin and read the characters. With LingQ, I see the characters and only see the pinyin when I intentionally look for the definition.
      July 2014
      • iaing au Australia 27678
        The option to choose from either, would be ideal. I can't see how the current reader is attractive or effective for the majority of users for Chinese, I could be wrong. Has anyone used the lingq reader, exclusively, for Chinese from beginner to advanced (without resorting to other readers)? What percentage of people would this be?
        July 2014
          What do you mean by 'reader'? I use the reading interface for Chinese a lot but I am very much a beginner. It is pretty good and it is where I do most of my Chinese learning, but there are problems. I also find the app basically useless for Chinese, other than for listening to the lessons.
          July 2014
            I guess I mean things like: the ability to quickly interrogate multi-character words, drill in to individual characters, see what other key words they can form with other characters, functions for quickly seeing a character in different sentences, ability to *quickly* see correct pinyin if I want, and the ability to quickly tab through all words regardless of status while seeing pinyin if I want. Everytime I use the lingq reader for Chinese I always miss that kind of functionality. But it is also an issue of effective learning. The ZT experiments in China show it is better to use a format like mandarinspot, as a starting point. I don't think it would be hard for lingq to provide this but probably a low priority.
            July 2014
          I will probably try using mandarinspot for going through some more difficult stuff, and keep using LingQ for now as I am doing.
          July 2014
  • musclechan 30421 116
    You can try to copy and paste the content to http://pth.linqi.org/pyzd_biaozhu.html
    Then, click"Enter(确定)(確定)“ to show all pinyin, and click (Play) to hear the pronunciation.
    If you want to read "ONLY in Pinyin" just click "(只顯示拼音)(只显示拼音.
    July 2014
  • iaing 27678
    That's a cool link. That export function is exactly what I looked for years ago. Not much good for me now, but great for anyone starting out and wanting something that looks like what Victor Mair always wanted: http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=189
    July 2014
  • musclechan 30421 116
    @iaing, can you suggest me some news channels with Standard Mandarin pronunciation. I used to listen http://www.chinese.rfi.fr/ but I can find some news anchors make a few subtle mistakes( mostly about their tones)
    and 新闻联播is so boring and inaccurate.
    July 2014
      If you want standard pronunciation then you do need to go through CCTV mostly. So you are stuck with the content that comes through there. I've always liked the pronunciation of the 1+1 presenter and you often get decent content there with full transcripts. But this is more current affairs than straight news. The only news I listen to on a regular basis is the Daily Newspaper Reading when Li Wei is on. That is ok content and often cool/funny. Li Wei has a Beijing accent, from his years of studying and living there. I actually prefer his accent rather than the 99-100% PSC-standard CCTV voices.
      July 2014
  • Administrator
    steve 66778 55048 20754
    Hi Chris, I must have missed your original question. Our dictionaries and other LingQ related functions only work with character texts. You can convert the texts to pinyin and in some cases pinyin has been provided in the resources section. However, problem of the dictionaries and other LingQ functions remains. Sorry. Glad you like LingQ though.
    July 2014