In English, the term ‘juvenile justice’ is used to denote

In English, the term ‘juvenile justice’ is used to denote a separate criminal system for juveniles
What is described in the lesson would usually be called family violence law and be adjudicated by family courts
Is the Russian term Juvenile Justice actually broader than the English?

Yes, I believe it is really broader and not only in Russia, but I think also in Europe.
I’ve heard about such ‘juvenile justice’ in Finnland, Sweden, France.

Rather than a broader one, it seems to have a different meaning. In America/Canada “Juvenile justice” seems to mean “justice system against crimes committed by young people”. In other countries, what is meant is “justice system for the protection of young people”.

Exactly!

It is tempting to draw conclusions about cultural differences based on the default meaning of expressions such as these :wink:

Hmm, I’ll have to look up the use of the term in French. I hadn’t realized the British prefer ‘youth justice’ for the courts and the Australains use both youth and juvenile terms, but often utilize ‘child protection and juvenile justice’.
I did find the text of the law in Russian. As always, it sounds better on paper than in reality: Общественная палата Российской Федерации

Maybe one of these days, I’ll do something with this article on the development of juvenile justice in Canada from the Canadian Department of Justice. Might as well get some use out of taxpayer dollars :slight_smile: