Is french difficult to read

is french difficult to read because of the unphonetic nature it seems easier to understand along with the audio but without you have to guess the pronounciation like english at times i think

I don’t think so…Actually, in my opinion, its way to more difficult to listen and understand specific contents.It’s normal to read a text and understand almost 95% of it, but if you had just listened it , probably you’d have understood less than 60%.

So, you do know the words meanings, but its hard to understand clearly when you’re listening, it takes time to reach a level where your reading and listening skills are at the same page.Of course, this a personal report, based on my own learning process.

1 Like

You mean whether it’s difficult to know how to pronounce each word based on the spelling? Yes, at times it is. I’d say, somewhat less than in English but you really have to look up a lot of the pronunciations. Russian’s also like that to some extent. What I do when I don’t have the audio of a lesson is to listen to the pronunciation of isolated words. I do that often even when I understand the word as spelled because I’m not sure of the pronunciation. Often I also look up words just to check the pronunciation. I find a knowledge of IPA signs useful for that

yes that is what i meant

no. in my opinion, french can be considered a phonetic language. french isn’t at all like english - once you know the rules of french spelling, when reading a new word, you will know how it’s pronounced. it’s merely different than other phonetic languages in that it is “letter groups”, rather than individual letters, that tell you how a SYLLABLE is pronounced. for example, -au or -eau, when you come across it, is pronounced “oh.” -eil and -eille are pronounced “ay.” -ail and -aille are pronounced “eye.” -ouil and -ouille are pronounced “oo-ee.” -euil and -euille are pronounced “uh-ee.” my advice to you when beginning to learn french is, when you see a combination of letters that you have not seen before, write it down in your notebook with the pronunciation beside it. when you combine it with the knowledge of which letters indicate a nasal sound and that the last consonant in a french word is usually silent, in the future when you see this group of letters together, you will know how the word that looks complicated on the surface is pronounced. so when you come across a word like… grenouille, you will know gre = gre, thats easy enough, and since -ouille is pronounced “oo-ee”, grenouille - gre-noo-ee. when you come across the word deuil, you will be able to know that its d+uh-ee, duh-ee. if you come across the word ribaud, you will know that -au- is pronounced “oh” and last consonants are usually silent, so its “ree-boh.” see what i’m saying? it doesn’t look like french is phonetic, but it nearly always is.

French cannot be considered phonetic AT ALL. You do know phonetic basically means ‘pronounced as it’s spelt’?

‘longtemps’ is pronounced ‘lan-toh’. Nowhere near phonetic.

and french is pronounced how it’s spelt. it merely goes by groups of letters, rather than by individual letters. it is the same concept, with merely a unique twist how it is applied. saying “phonetic has to rigidly mean a single letter = a single sound” is narrow-minded and pretty much eliminates virtually any language from being phonetic, including the ones normally considered so, such as spanish or german, which have silent letters and letter combinations that equal a single phoneme. nobody says "german is not a phonetic language because ich gehe zur Schule is pronounced “eesh gaya tsur shooluh instead of eek-huh geh-heh zoor skuh-hooleh like its written.” letter combinations equalling one phoneme, when applied consistently across the board, are still viewed as phonetic. it just so happens that french is mostly made up of such letter combinations that equal a single phoneme, while other languages just have a few.

1 Like

Yea, came in to say that listening comprehension with the goofy french pronunciation and slurring of words together is much harder than reading especially if you already speak english. At least half the words are the same or similar.

1 Like

That’s not true at all. French spelling is not phonetic.
A couple of examples
a) “en” can be pronounced as in “en” or as in “examen”, two very different sounds for the same spelling.
The correct pronunciation of, say, “Benjamin” is not to be deduced from the spelling
I recently read a discussion online about the correct pronunciation of the writer’s pseudonym “Stendhal”, there was no agreement about it among native speakers: you don’t get that if the script’s phonetic

b) “ai” may be pronounced as “é” or “è” depending on the word. There’s a recent thread here at Lingq about the difference in pronunciation between “irai” and “irais” and, again, native speakers were not in agreement. And how about “ai” in faisions, faisiez, etc? (third possible pronunciation)
c) Sometimes “u” is pronounced “o”: album, etc. Again, you must know the pronunciation of those words separately in order to pronounce them correctly
d) Compare “subtil” and “outil”, when the “l” sound’s pronounced in this kind of contexts is anyone’s guess. The pronunciation of “Renault” is even more deviant
e) And don’t get me started on isolated, just plain weird words such as “saoul”

There are many, many more cases in which the spelling simply doesn’t give enough information about the intended phonemes

Your point about a spelling that can be considered phonetic even if it includes a few letter combinations that must be learned separately but which are then used systematically to represent the same sound can be nicely applied to German spelling, but certainly not to the French one

good thing english shares all those peculiarities

Well, as a matter of fact, English takes all those irregularities to a new level! :slight_smile:

I don’t see how its “unphonetic nature” would prevent you from reading. It simply makes it more difficult to pronounce words that you read.

… i already said that there are some exceptions. that’s what “it nearly always is phonetic” means, that there are some exceptions out there. the exceptions aren’t the norm, or even common. and even in the few exceptions that do exist, the supposedly different pronunciation is still nearly exactly the same to how its read, to the point where non-native speakers can’t even hear the difference between the sounds anyway, and if they sound it out according to the rules, they will have pronounced the word 99% correctly. if a person encounters one of the rare exceptions and says “vous fezziay” instead of “vous fuhzziay”, almost nobody is even going to notice.

Again, that’s not true. There are lots and lots of exceptions, way more than in German and they do affect important sound distinctions, as the examples I gave show

As an example, The difference between the “an” and “in” phonemes is key in French. Learners who cant make it have a lot to learn yet. At the very least, they must be aware of when or the other is meant in a given word. The spelling often obscures it. That’s not typical of phonetic or even “quasi-phonetic” spellings

I have there are two types of people with french. Those like myself have little to no trouble getting used the pronunciation with listening, and those who just can’t get used to it and find the pronunciation totally impossible.

1 Like

none of the examples you gave show important sound distinctions. they are so indistinct in fact, that most of your examples are dependent on regional accents to have any distinction at all.

there are not very many exceptions in french. saying there are more exceptions than in german, does not mean that exceptions are common in french. they aren’t. they are rare.

your example of the different between “an” and “in”, i don’t see how they are relevant to the discussion. they are both pronounced exactly as expected based on french spelling rules, so i’m not sure why you brought them up.

But that’s the point…how could this avoid you from reading? And, althoug its true some people have difficulty with french pronunciation, with a lot of listening , everbody reachs a good level.

1 Like

My example connected to my previous point about the “en” spelling. Let me restate it in full for you, since you’ve been so kind as to ask about it:
The “en” spelling can represent an “an” or an “in” phoneme: the distinction between those two phonemes is crucial in French and no dialect ever confuses them.
Examples of clear obfuscation of the two phonemes are:
examen, Benjamin: where any rule would predict an “an” sound, but you get an “in” sound. There are many more examples, some of which can be tried to be explained away by proposing rules that get more and more complicated, and some which are completely unpredictable.
Let me remind you of the “Stendhal” example: it’s unclear how to pronounce it because of the amibiguity of the spelling: a phonetic script would make it apparent

This was meant is a counterexample to your claim that distinctions obscured by the spelling are “irrelevant”. It’s intended as a “clear” example to counter your argument. It shows that the script under-represents the phonemic distinctions, even for very important phonemes, and even in cases in which it would be completely clear to competent speakers that you are mispronouncing the word if you let yourself be guided by the spelling.

In general, I find completely unconvincing your claim that “hey, it’s phonetic enough, you may not know the phonemes from the spelling but if you just mumble your words, maybe no one will realize”: That’s what you implied with you "faisiez"example: the distinction between “e muet”,on one hand, and “open/close e” on the other is also crucial in the language and no dialect confuses them.
If you can’t tell what phonemes are intended from the spelling, it is not a phonetic spelling. To what extent you can “fake” by speaking indistinctly (which anyway, I doubt you can, as the “en” example shows) makes absolute no difference.