Salut. Comment allez-vous? = Hello. How are you?

salut. Comment allez-vous? = Hello. How are you?

1 Like

Yes, but “bonjour” is more common. Salut, comment allez-vous ? Hi, how are you? Listen to the pronunciation of it too and read about “liaisons” in spoken French. The t is pronounced on “comment” because the following word starts with a French vowel (that is broadly the rule).

Bonjour, ça va ? Is probably more common. It means the same thing but is less formal. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I agree. “Bonjour, comment ça va ?“ is far more common, at least here in France.

As far as I can tell, I would not consider “Salut” as equivalent as “Hey”. “Salut” is very informal, here in France, and it seems to me much more informal than “Hey”.

Having said that, I guess it all comes down to where you are from. It would be interesting to have a Canadian point of view.

3 Likes

I’m British, hey is very informal in Britain and I think the rest of the English speaking world too, but for some reason on the internet it is used a lot. Maybe it is because people can’t smile properly, so they feel the need to change the tone! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi is common everywhere though, so maybe salut is more informal than hi? Although we get taught it is equivalent, at least at school!

Very interesting.

I agree about its informality. I also think it sounds ‘demanding’ (Hey, pay attention to me …) I’d never use it, but then that’s me :slight_smile:

4 Likes

That’s interesting, Suzanne. I have always been puzzled by the teacher “iswearenglish” who sounds somewhat very British, but keeps on introducing his videos by “Hi there“ or “Hi there students”. He actually means “Hello, pay attention to this point.”

1 Like

Well, there is a difference between “Hi” and “Hey”: “Hi” or “hi there” are informal ways of saying “hello”, whereas “Hey” sounds rude to my ears. It is like shouting at the people you are addressing - but, again, internet usage has rules of its own. They simply sometimes clash with ordinary English :slight_smile:

1 Like