Pronouncing a final s

Is the s pronounced at the end of ‘sens’ ? My understanding is that usually it is pronounced if there is a liason. Always ?

1 Like

In France, we always pronounce the ‘s’ at the end of ‘sens’. And as far as I remember, there is never liason with this word.
Examples:
Quel est le sens de ce mot ? (What does this words mean?)
Tout cela n’a aucun sens ! (That does not make any sens!)

Merci.
Many other words end in ‘s’ which do make a liason, n’est-ce pas ?

Abolument. For exemple:
Ils ont du pain dans ce magasin : They have bread in this shop
Is pronounced. IL ZONT DU PAIN

But the liaisons are very tricky in French (such as in the previous example). I think you should not bother too much with them at the beginning. It is just a matter of getting used to them.

If you have some examples which make sense for you, send them. I would be more than happy to record them and post them on your wall.

That’s it. I put out some examples on your wall to illustrate this difficult area. Once again, do not worry too much about that. We keep repeating my three older children about that. Moreover, even French people have problems wtih “liaisons”. You can hear national journalists who make mistakes.

quelle surprise !

Votre question pour la prononciation de dix :
Pour dix, c’est assez compliqué. 1. Lorsque vous compter 1, 2…9, 10, on prononce le “x” sous forme de “s” (DIS OU DISSE). Ils sont dix à table. Soixante-dix (70). 2. Il me reste dix dollars/euros (DI dollars). 3. Attention à la liaison est parfois nécessaire lorsque le mot suivant est une voyelle. Il me reste dix euros (reste DIZERO). Ils ont eu dix enfants (Ils ont eu DIZENFAN). I hope its helps.

Note that I can not respond on your wall.

I actually don’t understand what my wall is, where it is, etc. ! Nor can I find anywhere on lingq that explains it…

When you click on your photo (or mine for that matter) you end up on your wall (or mine). It is your page where I sent the audio.

Here, we are on the forum.

Following the Monday server maintenance, there are some issues. You asked me the question on your main page (or “wall”) and I just mentioned that I was not able to answer it where you put it out .

I hope that makes sense. How I wish my English was better.

Anyway, coming back to your questions about “liasons” in French, the problem of “dix” is the same as “plus” There are actually three different ways to pronounce it. I put out an article about “plus” on my blog to help some of my students. The article is in French with a lot of examples. At the end there is the same article with English explanations. Finally, I read the article in French so you can listen the article when you read it. Here is the link:

http://frenchwithfabrice.over-blog.com/2015/06/prononciation-de-plus-en-francais-1ere-partie.html

Perhaps that might help you. Once again, I do think it is a matter of getting used to the “liaisions” in French.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Fabrice.