HELP with French Pronunciation (Liasons)

After listening to Assimil French with ease, I thought I was doing really well. But I’m learning that the French I encountered in Assimil is not exactly “authentic” French. When I tried to watch Plus Belle La Vie, I didn’t understand ANYTHING.

I think language programs need to do a better job at preparing students to deal with liaisons. When someone says “chu vraiment desolé,” I should know that that means “JE SUIS desolé,” and not have to look it up online.

I’ve also notice the NE is dropped and even certain articles. I’ve heard: “j’ai pas choix,” instead of … “je N’AI pas LE choix.”

How is a new learner supposed to keep up with these changes that seem so arbitrary, yet don’t seem to be listed anywhere? If they were listed, at least I could study them. I understand, letters and endings of words have to be cut sometimes to facilitate speed, but what I’m encountering with French is concerning.

Any advice? Does it get better? Let me know.

Just keep listening to those series, possibly with subtitles! If it is too difficult, start with something easier. I just watched a little bit of Plus Belle La Vie, and it is true, the language is quite close to conversations in real life. You will get used to the fact that in ‘Je suis’ the ‘Je’ will be eaten up by the ‘suis’. If you recognize it, it does not matter anymore over time. ‘Ne’ will be left out very often. It is very possible that with time passing by, youngsters won’t use it anymore in spoken language. However, ‘J’ai pas le/de choix’, ‘le’ or ‘de’ will not be left out. Good luck.

Hello Dwayne,

I guess that it is pretty much the same problem in every language. In English, for instance, one would never come across expressions like “Got it!”(drop the subject + link into one word), “You bet, my pleasure” or “That’s good!” in textbooks (and neither in books for that matter).

As far as giving advice is concerned, each learner has his own method. When it comes to learning with film, I think it makes perfect sense to have the subtitles. I come across some video of a French series made by Oreliane41 on Ling Q. Here is the link:

Please note that I have not checked these videos, YouTube blocked them in France for copyright content.

I hope it helps. I wish you all the best with your language studies.

Best regards,

Fabrice

1 Like

Okay, I’ll keep at it. I tried listening to a television drama … and man, SUPER difficult, especially when the actors are whispering. But I have VPN, so I can watch French TV (with the French subtitles) from the USA. So that should help.

I think you’re making some progress, anyways. Keep listening at those heavily stuff, keep disvover “the spoken French”. Try to diversify your listening material by listening for example to poeple who are highly educatade, because the’are more articulate than ordinary people. It’s very useful listening to ordinary people as well. This what I do with my English learning. I try to listen to different type of podcasts in British English as well as in American English. For the time being, my favorite podcast is WTH with Marc Maron. I don’t mind if I cannot catch every word hi/his guest says.

Don’t wait to" the perfect" language programs designed for learners of French. Design your own, man!

If today, I manage to enjoy, at some degree, the spoken English, then, don’t worry! Yes you can.

Boomer lives!