Je t'en prie, Steve

In the introductory podcast with Marianne, she says “Je t’en prie, Steve” near the end. Does that really mean “I beg you, Steve.”??? Merci

No, it means ‘You are welcome’. You say it when you have done something with pleasure, someone thanks you, and then you say: ‘Je t’en prie’. Or also ‘Je vous en prie’, if it is a more formal situation.

1 Like

“No, it means 'You are welcome”

I think it also means “I beg you”, “please”, “Go ahead” and whatnot, depending on the context.

En reponse a un remerciement, c’est bien un “you’re welcome”
En tout début de phrase, “Je t’en pris, Steve , pardonne moi!” serait un “I beg you pardon”
En début de phrase “Je t’en pris, Steve” ou “Je t’en pris, Steve, rentre le premier” ou “Je t’en pris, Steve, parle!” sera “Go ahead”

2 Likes

Merci for all of the responses.

→ je t’en prie avec un E ( et non un S) - Du verbe à l’infinitif “prier” -

I have a question for Lingq support, whether it would be possible to automatically include the link to the lesson, like before. That makes it easier for people to answer, because they can quickly look at the lesson. Thank you so much,

This is timely! Alex answered your question a short while ago in the thread “new bugs in LingQ?” on the list on the right. It is on their To Do list and they hope to re-establish it once everybody has returned from hols. (I think it is very selfish of people to go on holiday when they are needed by Alex) :slight_smile:

Oups ! Merci d’avoir relevé l’erreur. Je corrige:

En réponse à un remerciement, c’est bien un “you’re welcome”
En tout début de phrase, “Je t’en prie, Steve , pardonne moi!” serait un “I beg you pardon”
En début de phrase “Je t’en prie, Steve” ou “Je t’en prie, Steve, rentre le premier!” ou “Je t’en prie, Steve, parle!” sera “Go ahead”