Bună ziua

Bună ziua, numele meu este Pieter-Jan, sunt din Flandra (Belgia), şi sunt nouă aici.

Doresc să vorbesc Română, pentru că am o coleg din România şi ea me plăcut (cum prietena).
Acum, pot să vorbesc puţin, dar nu am avut cursuri sau professor.

Poate aici, pot să învăţ mai bine.

Ok, now in English:
Hello, my name is Pieter-Jan, I’m from Flanders (Belgium), and I’m new here.

I’d like to speak Romanian, because I have a colleague from Romania which I like (as friend).
Right now, I can speak it a little bit, but I didn’t have any course or professor. (so I had to learn it by myself and try it out on her)

Maybe here, I can learn it better.

Like I said, I’m new here (since yesterday), so I don’t know how everything works yet. However, if it’s possible for me to post some texts from time to time and have them corrected, that would be awesome. Any other help would be appreciated, of course.

Thank you!

If you want to have text corrected you can post them on the exchange section (exchange>post exchange). Then native Romanian speakers can correct your writing. In order to post writings you need points here are a few videos that explained in more detail.

Login - LingQ (see videos quick start exchange)

Also it might be a good idea to write the title of the forum post in a widely spoken language that way you’ll get more answers. For example I don’t speak a word of Romanian so I had know idea what this blog post was about, it was by change that I read it and realised that I might be able to help.

Thank you for your help. I tried to appeal to any Romanians in here, but I’ll follow your advice and study/explore the site more first.

I’ve now been registered on this site for 11 days, trying to learn a little bit more every day. I’ve been going through the Beginner 1 and Beginner 2 lessons, creating Lingqs to learn. In recent days, I’ve been using the multiple choice test, to improve the status of a bunch of these Lingqs.

I feel that I can recognise most of the words and my reading comprehension seems to have improved a little bit, though it’s of course a long way to go. Fortunately, I have about 10 months, so I’m confident I’ll attain a good level of mastery/fluency by then. (Intermediate 1, maybe even 2)

At work, I try to talk to my Romanian coworkers in their language on a daily basis, though only a few phrases here and there, not actual conversations yet. I find that there’s still a big difference between reading something and recognising the words, compared to actually using them in a conversation or understanding them when they’re spoken.

I do get positive feedback in the sense that they sometimes just speak Romanian to me and I have to ask them to please tell me in English, or that they sometimes try to say something confidential while in a group (e.g.: “I don’t like that guy”) in the hopes I can relate. (I don’t like that guy either!)

In short, I do believe I’m making progress, so I’ll continue to use this site and hope it’ll take me where I want to be.

P.S.: does anyone have an easy way to type/introduce the Romanian-specific letters? â ă î ş and ţ?

(some Romanian for practice)
Când am ajuns unsprezece zile de trecut, am sperat că pot să utilizesc websitul pentru să învăţ limba Română mai bine. Am învăţat puţin de zi cu zi şi acum, cred că pot să citesc puţin mai bine. Doar îi este diferenta dintre să citesc şi să vorbesc. înches să vorbesc limba Română cu colege pe lucram. De când în când, colegei mea vorbesc mai mult Română că pot să înţeleg. Sper că în zece luni, pot să înţeleg şi vorbesc limba foarte bine.

1 Like

Great story of your progress here, good to see you are sticking with it, I am sure your co-workers really appreciate your efforts!

Keep it up! :slight_smile:

I would like to point out that the woman whom provided the audio for the “Patterns Steve” lessons in Romanian, is great to listen to. She’s very understandable and speaks slowly, so I can follow everything properly. Exactly how it’s supposed to be!

Two months in now, starting my third. The first month, I was very active. Trying to take a lesson every day, getting those LingQs, learning some words. I’ve also taken the 90 day challenges, so that I have some clear goals to reach and get that motivation from achieving them. I even managed to get 4 out of 5 goals within that first month for the first challenge!

The second month, I haven’t been using this site though. Real life things taking precedence. However, I do listen to Romanian radio (Radio ZU) from time to time. I’ve also watched a movie (Mihai Viteazul) which I found quite interesting. I think this is a good compromise in the sense that the only goal I have troubles achieving, is the listening part. You need 45.5 hours of listening in those 3 months and LingQ lessons take up more time than they add to that goal, whereas I can just listen to the radio in the background and do other stuff in the meantime. In fact, I’ve actually grown to like the radio channel and some of the music on it!

With 2 weeks left on my first 90 day challenge, I still need to listen for 10.5 hours. With use of the radio, I’ll certainly get that last one and successfully complete the challenge. After that, I’ll go back to doing some lessons regularly and work on my second 90 day challenge, to keep it going.

I think a word of motivation from my part would be: even when you don’t really have the time or motivation to do any learning, try to add something of value to your learning experience. Every tiny bit helps!