Customs and traditions - Christmas and New Year in Great Britain

The winter has come and soon we’ll celebrate Christmas and New Year.
About the English tradition of celebrating Christmas and New Year I talk with Richard.
I’ve learnt some interesting details about such celebration.
I believe it can be interesting for people in different countries.

You can read and listen to this interview with Richard here:

Christmas is in fact just a manifestation (a rip-off, basically) of pagan Yule. They made it resemble pagan Yule because pagans wouldn’t willingly convert to Christianity and the Christians thought that making ‘their’ holidays and festivals similar would help to convince them that it was a good religion to follow.

There’s a lot of truth to that, actually. At the very least the date of the festival was chosen to coincide with pagan yule.

More generally I would perhaps put it a slightly different way and say that Paganism (in various forms) has infiltrated “Christianity” (i.e. the bigger mainstream forms) in various alarming ways. It’s such more so in the Catholic Church than in, say, Anglicanism. But a true Proto-Christianity (if that is the correct term) would certainly eschew things like Christmas trees, holly wreaths, etc. And many of the well known carols (depending on lyrics) would probably be taboo as well.

Go Calvinism :stuck_out_tongue:

The word “Easter” in Germanic languages goes back to the name of a goddess of Spring and fertility. This may also explain the symbols of easter eggs and easter bunnies.

So not only christmas is a rip-off.

Now I think about it, though, I believe the Jewish festival of the dedication of the temple was at Winter too?

I dunno, something about Winter…

I love Winter, anyway! :slight_smile:

Well yes paganism hasn’t been infiltrated, it’s been stolen and put into Christianity which is a middle-Eastern religion and pretty much exactly the same as Islam and Judaism which is why it’s hilarious to me when they fight each other. They’re all Abrahamic. But ‘true’ Christianity is a Jewish sect - a cult within Judaism which broke away and went in its own similar direction. A bit like how there are a billion denominations of Christianity yet at the base they’re all the same.

It’s important to note that Christianity soiled all pagan holidays - all their ‘holy’ days and periods are pagan. Once they figured out burning us alive wouldn’t work they simply mimicked us in ways only Abrahamics can.

Yep. The egg is a symbol of fertility. The rabbit was both eaten and a symbol of reproductive ability as ancient Europeans biggest sin was to limit the size of their family and ergo the greatest joy was to have as many children as possible.

It’s also around the time that a lot of planting and sewing occurs.

Everything was cyclical and everything related back to solar, lunar, and natural energy and cycles.

Christians bastardised everything pagan. From the word Hell to St Nicolas (yes, even their ‘saints’ are made up rip offs) and the concept of Heaven. All stolen.

One could almost get the idea that you don’t like Christians/Christianty very much :slight_smile:

It is interesting to note that when the early Christians wanted to celebrate the birth of Jesus, they didn’t know when in the year that occurred. This is when they were persecuted by the Romans. They chose the week before the pagan New Year, when the Romans were celebrating Saturna, because they knew the Romans would be so drunk and/or hung over that week they would have no idea what the Christians were doing. Yet another way Christian rituals derive from Pagan celebrations.

Yes, and hence the (arguably rather sinister!?) Christmas tradition of eating geese at Christmas - although chicken or turkey eventually took over.

(But coinciding dates don’t imply any intrinsic pagan link though. As I said above, there were important Jewish festivals at Winter too.)