О пассивном и активном словарном запасе (About the passive and active vocabulary)

Some learners don’t understand the big difference between the passive and active vocabulary.
In this my Russian article “О ПАССИВНОМ И АКТИВНОМ ЗАПАСЕ” from my course “СОВЕТЫ УЧИТЕЛЯ” I give my opinion about this topic:

If you have another opinion, you can write here about it.
Good luck in language study!

1 Like

Совершенно верно. Дело обстоит ещё хуже с языками с падежами - нужно делить количество “знакомых” слов на 3 или 4 потому, что в большинстве своем, слова числятся отдельно в нескольких спряжениях или склонениях, даже допуская, что реже в некоторых, чем в других. Так что мой запас 120,000 слов ‘вянет’ наверно до 15,000, как максимум.

Однако, нужно сказать, что человек может совершенно спокойно понимать слова на слух или при чтении и еще не уметь использовать их при живом разговоре. Это зависит от лингвистической неуверенности и общей неуверенности при общении, не говоря уже о силе рабочей памяти и ряда других когнитивных факторов. И вообще то, “слово” это условное понятие: мы чаще всего выражаемся в трех- или четырехсловных штампах. Это фразеологизмы, слова паразиты, отговорки, и наиболее частые словосочетания.

“a language user has available to him or her a large number of semi-preconstructed phrases that constitute single choices, even though they might appear to be analyzable into segments”( p. 100)… for normal texts, the first mode of analysis to be applied is [this] idiom principle, as most text is interpretable by this principle. Erman and Warren( 2000) estimate that about *half of fluent native text is constructed according to the idiom principle. Comparisons of written and spoken corpora suggest that formulas are even more frequent in spoken language (Biber, Johansson, Leech, Conrad,& Finegan,1999; Brazil,1 995; Leech, 2000). English utterances are constructed as intonation units that have a modal length of four words (Chafe, 1994) and that are often highly predictable in terms of their lexical concordance (Hopper, 1998). Speech is constructed in real time and this imposes greater working memory demands compared with writing, hence the greater need to rely on formulas:It is easier for us to look something up from long-term memory than to compute it (Bresnan,1 999; Kuiper, 1996).

Когда человек хорошо владеет языком, он не подбирает слова, и становятся ещё труднее достигать новых уровней отчасти потому, что подбор слов становится уже вопросом стилистики, нежели знании каких-то изученных слов. Чтобы использовать какое-либо новое стилистическое слово, нужно чтобы совпали сразу несколько условии: слово должно обозначать объект, соответствовать реестру (официальному/книжному, и тд) коммуникативной ситуации, эмоциональному смыслу который говорящий хочет передавать, и также иметь шанс быть понятно собеседнику. Вот например, когда я говорил с преподавательницей русского, которая помогала мне в моем первом году в России, я не мог обсуждать с ней пьесу “водка, ебля, и телевизор”, потому что у нее были провинциальные замашки, и она считала что пьеса с таким называнием достойной быть просто не могла, хотя пьеса отличная (реестр); когда я приехал к друзьям в деревню, можно было ржать над моим словарем мата (примеров не приведу по тем же соображениям, о которых сейчас говорю), но бессмысленно было бы осведомиться о предпосылках образовании их психологических установок в отношении чему-либо потому, что они вряд ли бы поняли меня (коммуникативная ситуация); и когда надо было ругать и проклинать ту гнусную гниду, на которую я работал в первом году, мне выпала чуть ли не единственная возможность от души ругать человека даже матом (эмоциональное состояние).

А сейчас, когда уже почти не говорил и не писал по русски целый год, мой пассивный запас (скорее всего) ничуточки не сокращался, но мой активный словарный запас сильно уменьшился, я говорю с задержками, когда речь идет ‘о высоком’.

2 Likes

Вы хотите сказать, что это писал человек, для которого русский не был родным???
Те несколько мелких ошибок, которые случайно попались на глаза, я посчитал опечатками.

Да, Эмори молодец, пишет почти без ошибок!..
А это значит, что каждый может постепенно достичь такого высокого уровня.

Спасибо за комплименты, друзья! Вот LinqQ замечательный сайт, не так ли? Я почти исключительно использовал его (кроме занятий с тем профессором в первом году в России), и занимался только сам по себе в течении 3 года в языковой среде. По сравнению, я учил французский 8 лет в школе, и до сих пор не могу говорить и плохо читаю!

3 Likes

Im very agree with the article of Evgeny and the message Emory.

Sometimes is frustrating how slowly words go from passive to active. I am a certified teacher of Spanish as a second language, and on classes more or less we always use the following structure in order to make the students use the vocabulary and make it active as soon as possible.

HOW A REGULAR CLASS IS STRUCTURED TO MAKE THE VOCABULARY ACTIVE:.

1. INPUT(to read a text with the new vocabulary or strcutures or sometimes listen it)

2.GRAMMAR(try to understand and notice how this structures work, when and how they are used, usualy we work drills and grammar exercises ).

1. CONTROLLED PRACTISE (written or oral) (we put the students in a situation where they have to use the stuctures that they studied before on the input, however is an easy practise when they have time to check the text or write, usually this practise is a mix in between a grammar drill and an oral practise. it serves to prepare the student to the final practise listed bellow)

2. FREE PRACTISE: (TALKING) (this practise shouldnt be related to the language, and more to the real life, we put the student in a situation where he is forced to produce the stuctures and vocabulay in a natural and spontaneous way, the final goal of the task usually is not related with language, but he must use it as an instrument to complete the task.)

This is a bit hard to explain specially since English is not my first language. Let me illustrate with examples, lets imagine a student wants to learn the past tense in spanish, would be like this.

EXAMPLE OF A CLASS USING THIS STRUCTURE:

1. (input) He read the Biography in past of a famous character and he sees the past for first time.

2. (grammar) he does grammar drills in order to see all forms of this past and how to conjugate it.

3. (controlled practise) He ask to the sutudent next to him some questions about things he did on his past: the questions can be already made and he just has to answer.

4. (free practise) The student make his own biography, or can explain what he did yesterday to another student, but without any preparation, just talking.

So thats the way how we should teach… i was latly thinking that is possible to follow the same structure on Lingq.

HOW WE COULD BE FOLOWING THE SAME STRUCTURE ON LINGQ:

1. (input) you read an article on lingq and make many lingqs.

2. you make many flashcards to learn new vocabulary and phrases

3. you choose the 10 sentences/words most important that you want to be active and you make a text or history with them.

4. You have a conversation with your tutor and you “manipulate” the conversation a bit to use this 10 words, so they should be active.

This is something that requieres discipline but it should work and make that most of the vocabulary you learn should be active straight away. I know it was a long post, but if you read it till the end please tell me your opinion and what do you think.

Thanks

2 Likes

Emory989 просто удивительно как хорошо ты пишешь на русском. Ты всего лишь в lingq занимаешься? Я тоже 3 года изучаю русский исключительно в lingq но мой уровень еще далеко от твоего. Как тебе удалось запоминать более 100.000 слов за такое короткое время? Я почти ежедневно занимаюсь и у меня почти 40.000. Ты молодец! )) Есть ли у тебя какие-нибудь советы??

1 Like

Josu, I agree with your method.
I would only postpone the task ‘My biography’ for the next day because it’s quite difficult to make such a story without preparation.
And it could be more useful to repeat this topic once again - and such a home task to tell about their biographies will be useful for the new repeatition of the Past.
And it’s enough to tell in class what they did yesterday.

Your idea to use such a method in lingq.com is interesting but unfortunately it’s difficcult to implement.
The most lingqers are reading in a hurry and making new and new lingqs in a hurry - they have no time and no wish to stop for a while and to repeat although it could be much more useful for the majority of language learners.

Yes i agree, even if this method is the most effective, it takes away the pleasure of just reading because it forces your brain to start working in different ways and to do exercises which can be boring . However this system of work could be interesting for somebody ready to do everything to learn faster the language .

1 Like

What this misses is listening. Personally, I don’t ever want to hear another beginner student stumbling through a grammar drill. Even ‘pronouncing’ a word myself never guaranteed that I could hear it when spoken during a normal conversation by native speakers.
I can see the sense of directed conversations with native speakers if I know I am going to the country, but until then I need a greater focus on understanding standard native speech.

To speak with a native speaker you have to know actively at least 1500 words. To try speaking with a native speaker without knowing words - it’s ridicoulous, you won’t be able to understand anything.
Listening is very important, of course. But maybe you have very good ‘ears’ to understand by listening words which you have never seen - for me it’s impossible! I have first to see new words several times, it means - to read them, and only after that I can understand them by listtening and also not always because the pronunciation of different native speakers is quite different.

Это не совсем честно сказать что я только на lingq занимался: я жил в России в течении этих трех годов. Я начал с нуля и работал преподавателем английского, так что сначала я чуть ли не говорил на русском. Но постепенно я стал чаще говорить на русском. Можно считать это учением - так и есть, но лишь до такой степени, что это практика и всякая практика тоже учение. Как я запомнил слова? Я только тем и занимался))) Проснулся, давай пахай; пришел с работой, давай пахай. На обычный день, я читал как минимум 3 часа, и писал как можно чаще. Практика и время - единственная помощь учению!

Хотя, могу также сказать, что для русского, очень полезно записаться на ВК. Если также сможешь завести друзей, ещё лучше: вообще на мой взгляд лучше переписываться, чем говорить, по крайне мере когда ты не знаешь тему совершенстве. Когда пишешь, есть время подумать и исправлять свои ошибки. Также, изученные слова как будто легче и быстрей вспоминаются.

1 Like

I really enjoyed this lesson. I think I might try to do the ‘reverse translation’ method on this lesson. Do you think you can proofread it for me?

I too am amazed at how slow the efficiency is from converting passive to active words. However, I am also amazed at how much active vocabulary one has, despite not really actively using it. From my anecdote, I notice that while only doing reading, listening, and reading out loud, how many active words I am able to recall, without actually using them in active conversation. I’d imagine this ‘honey moon’ phase slows down the more broad and advanced your vocabulary becomes.